Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Auris stutters/misfires when accelerating

Woodbine46

Recently my 2009 Auris has been stuttering/misfiring when accelerating. It is also using a lot of engine oil with no sign of any leaks. The oil needs topping up every 2-3 weeks. I had the spark plugs replaced a few weeks ago and last week the garage couldn't find any specific fault. Any ideas?

Have a read at this as what you describe could be similar:

At the moment all well and its just a couple of hundred miles short of 100k

My takeaway points from all of this has been that:

1/ Oil consumption is massively influenced by driving style and its not necessarily high revs and high speed that burn it, it is slow stop start driving and particularly using the engine for braking. I have cut my consumption massively by not using engine breaking and when I first set off from cold (and I don't like doing this) I take it up to around 4.5 to 5k as soon as possible just as an initial 'one off'.

2/ The Toyota recommended plugs (Denso SC16's) which are now a 'hotter' type are a disaster for my type of usage. The original SC20's are no longer available but I have now fitted Denso IXEH20TT (I think that was the number) and they seem to run really well.

3/ Although the Auris is supposed to be OK on E10 petrol I find the E5 gives no sign of audible 'pinking', something that was very noticeable with E10 and the SC16 plugs.  

• Like 1

Thanks for that, really useful 👍 

I'll definitely try the E5 and try to do less engine braking. A lot of my driving is stop start stuff around town tbh, which probably won't help.

Good luck.

Following this I have been looking for some figures showing acceleration in gear such as from 30 to 50 in third for example but all I have found are some videos. This one is one of the better ones as it has a stopwatch timer and it shows that in 3rd it takes around 6.5 seconds to get from 4200rpm to around 5700rpm which is around 70mph in 3rd. It pulls cleanly to that point.

Something like this might give you an idea where yours is at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Give it a bit of Italian tuneup, and try to rev it more while driving around town.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links