Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Body work corrosion

T666ENR

Hi all,

We have a 2019 Yaris which has only covered 18,000 miles. On the whole it is in really good condition. About a month ago I noticed the rear seat was wet and there were drips of water coming from the rear seatbelt on the roof of the car. On inspection I found the body work around the washer pipe grommet was rusty and when lifting the grommet there was lots of rust and water. 

Would you expect this to be covered by the Toyota paint warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Emma

Yaris 1.jpeg

Yaris 2.jpeg

• Sad 2

The paint and surface rust warranty is for 3 years from first registration. A 2019 registered car - 4 years old - would now be outside this cover.

• Sad 2

Would that not be covered by 12 year corrosion warranty ?

Don't think the damage is perforation:

Toyota vehicles (excluding Hilux) are covered by a 12 year unlimited mileage warranty on the metal body panels, protecting against rust perforation caused by a manufacturing fault. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since that is clearly not a place where a stone or suchlike has damaged it surely it must be a manufacturing fault. I'd certainly take it to the dealer and if necessary 'discuss' how "perforation" should be interpreted.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 5:56 PM, MikeSh said:

Since that is clearly not a place where a stone or suchlike has damaged it surely it must be a manufacturing fault. I'd certainly take it to the dealer and if necessary 'discuss' how "perforation" should be interpreted.

My argument too! We have booked in at our local dealer tomorrow. They have agreed to take photos to send off to their warranty team.

• Like 3

My local dealership have taken photos of the affected area and have sent them to the warranty team. Fingers crossed they see sense and agree to fix under warranty.

• Like 2

I keep forgetting to check mine i will have l look later and report back.

Mine doesn't look like that but glad to say it has no rust the problem now is I cannot get the thin edge on the bottom of the grommet   back into the hole as the plastic disc keeps pushing it out  DOHIMG_20231028_152416142.thumb.jpg.82a298a7ac9509664f557abd079cf1e0.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Mine doesn't look like that but glad to say it has no rust the problem now is I cannot get the thin edge on the bottom of the grommet   back into the hole as the plastic disc keeps pushing it out  DOHIMG_20231028_152416142.thumb.jpg.82a298a7ac9509664f557abd079cf1e0.jpg

Hi Max,

Is there small plastic clips on the plastic, one hasn't broken off when you pulled it out has it.?

• Like 1

Looking at the picture around the grommet would this not be classed as surface rust as no signs of bubbling of the paintwork or surface holes seem apparent.

• Like 1

I think the OP was showing the grommet in the middle for the rear window washer fluid pipe rather than the bigger concertina rubber fitting carrying the wiring.

That concertina grommet is very difficult to get back in once it comes out. I had the issue on my Mk1 and could never get it back in again, so in the end had to stick silicone sealant all round it as I did on the grommet on the other side that also leaked in. Seems they havent changed the design of these grommets much over the years.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 174938.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-28 175024.jpg

P1020951.JPG.b8d675f6d9c3296ce84ee4cef84a2c57.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bper said:

Hi Max,

Is there small plastic clips on the plastic, one hasn't broken off when you pulled it out has it.?

No it was dirt not rust.

Unfortunately yes the plastic tabs have broken off and typically it has forecast heavy rain here so out of desperation i have used some  sticks like s**t to put a bead  round the bottom of the grommet i hope as Stevie below has said it does the job.

I will have another look tomorrow to see if the other pipe has any rust around it.

3 minutes ago, Stevie J said:

That concertina grommet is very difficult to get back in once it comes out. I had the issue on my Mk1 and could never get it back in again, so in the end had to stick silicone sealant all round it as I did on the grommet on the other side that also leaked in. Seems they havent changed the design of these grommets much over the years.

• Sad 2

I think you are probably supposed to take the headlining out at the back of the car to gain access to the other side of the cutout in the bodywork, in order to release the clips from the white plastic part and the clips breaking off is what happened on my Mk1, due to me doing exactly what you did Max trying to find out where my water leak was coming into the boot from. Once the plastic tabs snap off, you may well get the grommet back in the hole but it will keep pulling back out when the tailgate is opened and closed and water will leak in badly. I think they are a pretty poor design really as they are in the prime location to get water running into them draining off the roof.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stevie J said:

Once the plastic tabs snap off, you may well get the grommet back in the hole but it will keep pulling back out when the tailgate is opened and closed and water will leak in badly. I think they are a pretty poor design really as they are in the prime location to get water running into them draining off the roof.

I was worried about the bead not being strong enough to keep the rubber stuck to the metal when opening the tailgate so decided so as i have used this stuff before and it is very strong i thought i would give it a go.

• Like 2

I am now confused, having zoomed in on the OPs picture (white car) it looks like he or someone else has already pulled it out or that is the way its supposed to be as the bottom of the grommet is above the hole as mine was, i am not sure now if i pulled the rubber part out or it was like that (blue car)

ggggge.jpgIMG_20231028_152416142.thumb.jpg.82a298a7ac9509664f557abd079cf1e0.jpg

21 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I am now confused, having zoomed in on the OPs picture (white car) it looks like he or someone else has already pulled it out or that is the way its supposed to be as the bottom of the grommet is above the hole as mine was, i am not sure now if i pulled the rubber part out or it was like that (blue car)

ggggge.jpgIMG_20231028_152416142.thumb.jpg.82a298a7ac9509664f557abd079cf1e0.jpg

That pic next to yours is of my own car that I took years ago, showing how mine ended up and I couldnt get it to stay located firmly at the base back in the bodywork. No they shouldnt look like that. The lip at the bottom should be not visible and under the metal of the bodywork, with the white plastic part clipped up securely under it holding it firmly in place. Once the clips snap off, the white part wont tightly hold the rubber and it will keep popping out and look like my photo. Following that photo, I siliconed the rubber against the bodywork, as replacing the white plastic part would mean removing the headliner and the wiring loom and would be a major job as the white plastic part has to have the wiring loom threaded though it.

The opening poster shows the grommet round the window washer supply pipe in the middle of the roof which is not the part you have pulled out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Stevie J said:

No they shouldnt look like that. The lip at the bottom should be not visible and under the metal of the bodywork, with the white plastic part clipped up securely under it holding it firmly in place.

Thanks for explaining, i am glad my overkill DIY repair job with the sticks like sh*t yesterday wasn't a waste of time  😉  

• Like 1

Checked my bodge up from yesterday and it looks like it hasn't moved  and is sealed properly and the good news is the pipe I should have been looking at is also fine.

kkkk.jpgYaris1.thumb.jpeg.1e0a733b6c427bcdbc97a4

• Like 3

I went to my mother's today and had a check on her 2019 Icon Tech, which has 10K miles on it and is always garaged. On peeling back the grommet for the washer fluid, indeed there is rust starting just as in the opening post, although not as severe but nevertheless it seems that 2019 models did not get as much rust protection as they should have done under this grommet. I am going to smear some petroleum jelly round under that grommet when I get hold of some to prevent the rust getting any worse. I didnt take any photos of it though as I didnt want mother worried at that stage and there is no water leaks there yet.

I have taken a pic of my own 2014 Yaris in that position and there is no rust at all. so the earlier cars seem better protected than the 2019 ones.

Max - seems I was wrong about that bottom lip of the accordion grommet being under the metalwork - I checked on my car today and it is not - it is above the metalwork and I think it is only the force of the white plastic part inside it that pulls it down over the metalwork that makes the seal. Must be different on the Mk3 than the Mk1. 

IMG_20231030_002729025.jpg

IMG_20231030_002542144.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, it looks like I may put something round the washer pipe grommet to keep water getting under it, belt anb braces 😉

• Like 1

Update -

I pulled the back part of the headlining down enough to see the underside of the white plastic tube in the picture using a torch and the good news is there is no water on the underside of it meaning my bodge has worked.

IMG_20231028_152416142.thumb.jpg.82a298a7ac9509664f557abd079cf1e0.jpg

• Like 2

Just had a peep at all four locations on my 2018 (two body, two hatch). Only lifted the edges of the grommets a little as I don't want to risk disturbing them and getting a leak, but there's no obvious sign of rust or bubbling paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links