Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Self-servicing 2010 Toyota Yaris MK2, what things can I do?

NinjaSpaceMonkey

I've recently bought a 2010 Manual MK2 Toyota Yaris with about 77,000 miles. I checked the service history and it hasn't been "officially serviced" since 2013...

The dealership said they serviced but I'm not really sure they did as the oil was very dark and only the air filter looks to have been changed. I've decided to have a go at servicing myself using the help of YouTube.

So far, I've changed the air filter and the cabin filter. The cabin filter was really dirty. I'm also going to change the engine oil and oil filter having bought the tools and engine oil 0W-20. Is there anything else I should look to attempt to change myself?

As a car novice, I don't really know much about car parts and would appreciate help in what I can change, where it's located and the name of the product to buy.

Many Thanks!

Edited by NinjaSpaceMonkey
wrong engine oil name

They normally replace the plugs around that mileage if they haven't been changed and if they're Iridium they are not cheap, but don't know for that year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

They normally replace the plugs around that mileage if they haven't been changed and if they're iridium they are not cheap, but don't know for that year.

Cheers, yeah will be looking to change the spark plugs after doing the oil after I've had a look at them. Is there anything else like the transmission fluid or rear differential that I should look at changing? I know there isn't a power steering fluid to change so I can rule that out. Unfortunately, the owner's manual isn't much help haha!

Thanks!

On a 2014 Yaris 1.33 engine I used 0w30 or 5w30 oil.

Gear oil GL4 75w85 or 75w90 your choice change every 4 years Manual  transmission.

Spark plugs remove one and check its condition then look up its referance code on the plug then you can clean or order the correct ones.

Check condition or history of antifreeze.

Also check the alignment, the brakes, see that they don't pull to one side under sharp braking, check depth of pads check hand brake, check tyres for correct pressure and tread depth. Check for undue play in the steering and if the car runs straight. Good luck 👍 

39 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Gear oil GL4 75w85 or 75w90 your choice change every 4 years Manual  transmission.

My book says 40K miles (reminder, must do mine).

7 hours ago, NinjaSpaceMonkey said:

As a car novice, I don't really know much about car parts and would appreciate help in what I can change, where it's located and the name of the product to buy.

TBH, get a garage to to do it until you've got the knowledge, tools and confidence to do it yourself properly.

Once you've learned a bit more then try doing some work yourself in addition and, maybe, take the responsibility of actual services.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links