Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Users average mpg on Yaris Cross versions

dcweather

Surprisingly can't find a separate thread on this. My wife owns a 2014 Yaris Icon and I have had 70 mpg on a deliberately trying to be economical 20 mile journey. Mainly used for pottering about town which seems to average about 58 mpg. When I get my Yaris Cross Excel be interesting to see if there are any improvements.

My normal Yaris Mk4 gets 70-80mpg in summer, but the range seems to be between mid 60s and mid 70's for most other owners I've seen, and the Cross seems to be broadly similar (Which is impressive given its higher weight and size!)

• Like 1

My last 10 fill ups on my Mk4 Yaris have shown an average of 61.4 mpg

• Like 2

During the summer, I was getting a steady 70mpg but now the colder weather has arrived it has dropped slightly to 68mpg.  No doubt it will drop some more over the coming months but it’s still a remarkable car and fuel economy is it’s main strength.

• Like 1

When I picked mine up in June it was regularly achieving 68/9mpg, now it’s dropped to 58/9mpg, although, we went for an overnight stay in the Lake District and was averaging 64/6, ..but that was non motorway,.

• Like 2

I agree with Primus1. 

The Cross is less economical than the saloon.

Consumption will increase with cooler temperatures and poorer weather.  Aircon and wipers increase the 12v system demand which in turn requires greater use of the ICE to recharge the HV.

Now the bad news 🙂

I try and drive as economically as I can, anticipating lights and junctions etc.  I use Normal and aim to cruise about 5 mph below the limits.

My wife does not use such anticipation often accelerating at points where I would have lifted off the power.  She even tested the braking assist function and cruised at a higher speed. 

Our consumption on two 3 hour journeys differed by mere decimal points around 62 mpg but her average speed was 5 mph greater. 

I both cases we were 2 up with about a 100kg load.  Traffic was relatively fast both ways with no significant delays.

The car does what it does. 

• Like 3

My wife does not use such anticipation often accelerating at points where I would have lifted off the power.  She even tested the brakingassist function and cruised at a higher speed

i think I married your wife’s sister😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Maybe, she has two.  I know which of those I would chose  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Over the 2 years my X Excel has averaged 60mph. In the warmer months when on longer holiday trips on country roads my average was about 68mpg. In the colder months on early morning school runs the average dropped to about 56mpg. Overall Im happy with that.

• Like 2

Does everyone else’s mpg show differently on the app?, 

My 'MyT' app is showing 4.2L/100km which equates to 67.257 mpg. My spreadsheet is showing a figure of 69.17 mpg. I don't like the app' though - it always seems to be wrong somewhere. At the moment, the car is outside my house but according to the app', it is still at my Aunts adress some 25 miles away. I have been at home for the last six hours!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

My 'MyT' app is showing 4.2L/100km which equates to 67.257 mpg. My spreadsheet is showing a figure of 69.17 mpg. I don't like the app' though - it always seems to be wrong somewhere. At the moment, the car is outside my house but according to the app', it is still at my Aunts adress some 25 miles away. I have been at home for the last six hours!

But have you been out and checked it’s still there?, your aunt may have taken a fancy to it..🤭

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

But have you been out and checked it’s still there?, your aunt may have taken a fancy to it..🤭

Every time we take her out somewhere, she says something on the lines of "when you win the lottery .........!"

• Haha 2

As a back drop to my question my Renault Captur generally returns an average of 60-63 mpg for most types of journey in summer falling to about 56-58 in winter  which is pretty impressive given its weigh. I'm hoping to beat this when i get my Cross because get about that from my wife's 2014 Yaris.

I'm averaging 75.1mpg with my YC Design since ownership (April). 65 miles a day commute to work and back, 50% motorway, 25% 50mph limit, 25% urban.

Extremely impressed. I use 99 octane petrol.

• Like 3

My partner got her Yaris Cross (Luna Sport trim) in April '22.

She uses Fuelly to chart her usage, and doesn't actively try to be a fuel miser, she just drives 'normally' - as she puts it.

So far, she has had 28 fuel ups, usually fueling up after about 350/400 miles traveled. 
Worst tank was 55mpg, and the best was 74mpg. Fuelly gives her total average so far as 64mpg.

And the recent switch here in Ireland from E5 to E10 fuel in July '23 has made little to no difference in her mpg. 

• Like 1

I'm averaging 63 MPG so far (based on milage vs. tank to brim).

Some days I can get 80 MPG in town, others 50 MPG. I've given up trying to get good economy in town for the moment, as I can't figure out why the 80 MPG trips were so good. Even on clear roads and not stopping at roundabouts can yield lower MPG when I'm trying to be economical.

I run aircon on LO when trying for maxinmum fuel economy, as the heater trashes economy.

I cruise at 60 MPH on dual-carriageways and motorways as this seems to yield about 80 MPG at constant speed.

Our Cross can get in excess of 90 MPG over a 40+ mile commute, comprising of 60% motorway.

• Like 2

We got ours in December 21, so coming up to 2 years and overall average is 4.5 litres/100km or 62.77 mpg according to the car.

My own calculations come out almost the same average, had a couple of tankfuls back in January when it was cold here where it returned low 50's, had one tankful give 78mpg, usual summer consumption is in the mid 60's.

We have very little town driving as we live part way up a mountain and a trip to the village is 2.5km with a 150 metre drop into the bottom of the valley and then the same back up the other side to the village. We do a lot of up and down hill, there's not a lot of flat around here, nor are the roads very straight.

Overall average since purchase end-Dec last year, ~6000 miles, is a tad over 70 mpg, not used for commuting but mix of motorway, A- and B-roads at non-peak times

Comparing/quoting mpg though is somewhat perilous, since it depends so much on speed/road conditions/temperature etc. I'm totally confident that if I altered my driving style I could change fuel consumption quite easily by +- 10 mpg: if I drove like I stole it (totally against my nature) then, no problem, how low a figure would you like?

• Like 1

SSP, as I said up thread, my wife's driving style is brisk.  She achieved a better MPG over a return journey and at a shorter time.

• Like 3

Brisk styling drive often deliver better mpg in Toyota hybrids as when doing a brisk acceleration and moderate stopping we get more energy stored into the Battery which is used afterwards to help petrol engine pull the car. 
Slow continues drives like old school taxi drivers ( extremely slow and annoying) actually hit the efficiency as the car will always be with drained Battery and engine on more often, burning fuel unnecessarily. 
For motorway drive two things important, avoid hard acceleration and constant high speed drives. Best to just go with the flow with small speed variations when going uphill and downhill. 

• Like 3

Weeelll that's what I tell people when they ask why I have to accelerate from the lights so hard all the time and not slow down for corners... :whistling1:

"I'm saving the planet! Also make sure your seatbelt is secure."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

. Best to just go with the flow with small speed variations when going uphill and downhill. 

Indeed Toyota recommend a 5 mph reduction on up gradients.

• Like 2

Yep, can't beat the physics however smart the computer is. 😄

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links