Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sorry, Rishi - it’s the eyes!

Haliotis

No malice or offence intended, but I often wondered why I found myself giggling when I saw Rishi Sunak full face on TV (without his specs).  Now I realise that he reminds me of Grommet.  My wife says she thinks I spot likenesses where others do not, AND she says it can be embarrassing when I make an observation of someone with whom she is likely to come face to face. 🥵

• Haha 1

Well, if Rishi is Gromit, who is Wallace? Answers on a postcard please. 😉

• Haha 1

I find these comparisons deeply offensive... towards Wallace and Gromit  :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wouldn't Gove be the Were-Rabbit .....

• Haha 3

Rishi Rich Sunak is the best prime minister we never voted in. The comment on his spectacles is glassist. 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bper said:

Rishi Rich Sunak is the best prime minister we never voted in. The comment on his spectacles is glassist. 😂

The best PM we never elected was Winston Churchill - he was asked by King George VI To become PM on 10th May 1940, following the resignation of Neville Chamberlain.

• Like 1

Sorry Albert you are absolutely right I was being sarcastic about Sunak, however it seems far from being unusual, it’s actually the norm for Prime Ministers to enter office outside of a general election.

All the new Prime Ministers the UK has had since 1900. Including Boris Johnson, 23 different people have become Prime Minister since 1900 ignoring the Marquess of Salisbury who was Prime Minister for spells during the nineteenth century and until 1902).

The post has changed hands 28 times over the same period (some people have been PM more than once).

Ten of those 28 occasions followed a general election where the new Prime Minister led the party which gained the most votes at that general election. One changeover followed a general election where the new Prime Minister led the party which came second in the general election (Labour’s Ramsay Macdonald in 1924 who, despite coming second, managed to form a coalition government with the Liberal party).

So these ten or eleven Prime Ministers took office on or shortly following a general election.

The remaining 17 changeovers happened outside of elections. Of those 17, three were followed by an election called within 50 days of the new Prime Minister taking office.

To take some recent examples, Tony Blair and David Cameron came in due to elections in 1997 and 2010, while Gordon Brown, Theresa May and Boris Johnson all entered office following the resignation of their predecessors.

Some say that Sunak may have drawn the short straw but I suspect they were talking about his trousers.😂

When you consider it, the leader of a party automatically becomes PM when that party wins an election.  So, in reality, we select our MPs, but accept the PM automatically. Therefore, mid-term, the ruling party chooses any change of PM.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links