Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaking Yaris Cross

Dazzar

Has anyone else had problems with the Yaris cross leaking, not coming from the roof line though.

my rear seat was wet, no one has used it , then I noticed the car mat was wet as well, lifted the mat and the carpet is wet, looked and there is no sign of a leak from above, looked in the boot, parcel shelf if you can it that is dry as is the spare wheel cover, the spare wheel well has about an inch of water in it, no sign of where it is coming in though.

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg

• Sad 1

Hi

this is typical for Toyota cars and most common issues are rear lights clusters or body panels welds and seals. When water builds up into the spare wheel well it will go into the rear seat base and rear  foot wells. Your biggest concern here are the batteries which are located under the rear seat. This car is likely under manufacturer warranty therefore book an appointment with your dealer asap. Keep pictures and records as you may need to claim warranty repair. 
Good luck 

• Like 3

Hi Darren

I would book an appointment ASAP,I understand as TonyHSD said above that this is a common problem but I wouldn't expect this on a one year old Toyota. 👍

• Like 3

Not sure where this could be from at all! Start with boot lid seal and light clusters.

• Like 5

You could try a hose over the car with someone sitting inside to look for the leak..

• Like 3

Has this car had any extras fitted like dashcams etc?  I don’t agree it is typical on Toyotas, especially new ones.  

• Like 5

Yes the car has had dash cams fitted , and it’s not a one year old car more like a one month old car., the rubber boot protector I put in is dry as is the cardboard wheel cover, roof lining dry, it’s just on the left hand side only.

• Like 3

Car is with the dealer and so far they have come up with have I washed the car!!!!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dazzar said:

Yes the car has had dash cams fitted , and it’s not a one year old car more like a one month old car., the rubber boot protector I put in is dry as is the cardboard wheel cover, roof lining dry, it’s just on the left hand side only.

That makes me immediately suspicious but I’d need to investigate.  It’s almost impossible to make one that leaks.   They either all leak or none do.   

• Like 2

Not seen one leak yet, in fact leaks are very rare these days, I'm sure they will get to the bottom of it 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, anchorman said:

Has this car had any extras fitted like dashcams etc?  I don’t agree it is typical on Toyotas, especially new ones.  

Yeah, the only Toyotas with a rep for being a bit leaky are the early Aygos - None of the generations of Yaris have ever had common leaks.

Is it possible the window was left slightly open? It doesn't take much!

One thing that happened to me once is I opened the rear passenger door of my old Mk1 and found there was water all over the mat and floor on that side - Did a bit of investigating, found nothing, and it wasn't until my dad opened the other door while I was looking inside that I saw a surprising amount of water just drop from the top of the door into the car!

1 hour ago, Dazzar said:

Car is with the dealer and so far they have come up with have I washed the car!!!!!

Frankly, the dealers down this end of the country tend to have questionable competence at best when asked to do any sort of diagnosis - I wouldn't be surprised if they come back empty handed.

All you can really do is try and trace the path of the water - The hose thing is a good idea, and I remember one aygo owner got so annoyed they used chalk to draw a grid all over the suspect areas to try and find the path of the water! :laugh: 

Actually, is this the first time it's happened? Has it been in rain before and been fine? Is it possible the strong winds we've had recently have somehow blown rain in past the seals or something...?

• Like 3

If the car has a rear camera fitted and those plastic with rubber boot grommet was broken similar to the other posts in Yaris very likely water enters  from there and goes down through inner walls of the body work.
With a torch this can be confirmed. It is very similar to older models like Auris and Prius that leaks from seals on the body panels welds or rear light clusters. 

• Like 5

So far they have said as mentioned did I wash the car !!

they have checked the dash cam fitting and said it’s not there, they denied the rubber seals as coming from my model car until I told them I checked the part  number and it said it was, no to the window as no other interior panels and the seat was only wet where the seat belts come through. THEY THEN SAID WELL THE CAR WAS DRY WHEN I TOOK IT IN…..so I said would you leave you new car with a pool of water in it….. I emptied it and sent you the photos, they are now removing the seat , and the panels to see where it is coming from, I said don’t bother I’m rejecting the car………this sent them Into a panic…,

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Hi Darren, the problem you describe is exactly that of what happened to my 2019 Yaris hybrid after Halfords fitted a rear hard wired dash cam. The fitter broke off a little plastic clip that holds the rubber seal seat on the wiring loom, and the car leaked badly. As it was a new car I took it back to the dealership. They had to replace the whole rear wiring loom as it’s a complete unit costing €150 but it sealed the leak. The Toyota dealership gave me a letter stating in detail what caused it and the invoice for the repair. Halfords to their credit accepted responsibility and refunded me the cost of the dealership repair, saying that they are insured against such an occurrence.

• Like 6

On 11/2/2023 at 3:36 PM, Dazzar said:

Yes the car has had dash cams fitted

By whom?

On 11/2/2023 at 5:56 PM, Cyker said:

Yeah, the only Toyotas with a rep for being a bit leaky are the early Aygos

Also some of the first generation Auris - though neither of mine did.

• Like 2

My MK3 and current MK4 Yaris don't have a leak. Self fitted Dashcam to the rear metal top part of the back window on the MK3, will be doing the same to current new MK4 when I purchase a rear Dashcam, no drilling or through any grommet of anything require with where I placed the camera. 

• Like 2

I can assure you that not only Aygo and Auris but most Toyota models including the latest ones after some time will start leaking water inside the boot through rear lights cluster seals. , perhaps after year 5-6 or afterwards. The reason is that the clusters themselves acts as gutters similarly to the doors of the cars that allow water to go through and drain out. With the time the gap between clusters and body work will be filled with debris and dust which will prevent water to evacuate and water will build pressure and the seals will start leaking. 
Those cars parked under trees and in woodlands are particularly affected, those parked in clear open spaces may never experience this event through their lifetime. Priuses, rav4 , Camry, Lexuses in America, the YouTube is full of videos. 
We can cure the problem with avoiding park under trees, clean door shuts after each wash, and if we noticed any mouse in boot to quickly investigate and fix the problem with removing clusters , cleaning thoroughly body panels and clusters and replace seals. 
In the OP case on a month old car this likely it’s not the case, but could be the cable plug or manufacturer defect along the white seal on the body work panels welds and glue fixture, the perforation thing. Also if you drive through deep water higher than half of the wheels you are risking flooding the boot because Yaris cross and all other cars has rear vents behind the rear bumper and this is common place for water to enter inside the boot area. Then when braking the water will splash forward and flood the rear foot wells. Both my Auris were exactly like that, all fixed by me successfully. Other members also has done it. 

• Like 3

On 11/3/2023 at 11:28 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

By whom?

The dealer fitted the dash cam it’s one of their Next base ones

I have a Yaris cross as a loan car , I noticed when I opened the boot water ran down in front of the left side light cluster , is this right ? 

The bung with the cable and the black arrow pointing at it was full of water 

IMG_1869.jpeg

10 hours ago, Dazzar said:

The bung with the cable and the black arrow pointing at it was full of water 

IMG_1869.jpeg

So you need to trace from where this black cable is coming from . 
Because this is a brand new car that seems like been messed around by the dealer if me I will ask them to fix and give them two weeks. After that I will test the car for leaks and if I find any I will return the whole car for full refund. 
Buy another car from another dealer and make sure no any additional accessories been fitted. 

Any intervention by anyone outside car factory bring risks of exactly what happens to you. It is beyond me why people want camera’s in their cars and anything similar, to drain their batteries and to have squeaking plastics and leaks. Just my personal opinion and view on that matter. 

2 weeks tomorrow since I collected my new Cross. My wife noticed yesterday there is a wider gap on the drivers side of the Boot door. It doesn't have to be too far out to let water in. They tell me they've adjusted it as much as they can but I'm still not 100% happy.

Fbook.jpg

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

So you need to trace from where this black cable is coming from . 
Because this is a brand new car that seems like been messed around by the dealer if me I will ask them to fix and give them two weeks. After that I will test the car for leaks and if I find any I will return the whole car for full refund. 
Buy another car from another dealer and make sure no any additional accessories been fitted. 

Any intervention by anyone outside car factory bring risks of exactly what happens to you. It is beyond me why people want camera’s in their cars and anything similar, to drain their batteries and to have squeaking plastics and leaks. Just my personal opinion and view on that matter. 

I had my cameras professionally installed so I can mitigate any potential comeback from the dealer, I also have mine wired to a separate dash cam Battery, so no flat battery…

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 11:28 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

By whom?

I had a 2L Auris diesel years ago that leaked like a sieve into both rear light clusters. The rubber seals not up to it and the clusters had water lying in them.  At the same time there were two plastic vents in the wheel wells,  where the water was thrown up by the rear wheels and in through the vents. That gave me over an inch in the wheelwells. Once I proved it to the Dealer all was renewed with no more problems. The problem was getting them to believe it. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links