Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car leaking brake fluid after clutch change

silviabia

Hi there, my Yaris had a breakdown last week where the car was just revving up and the clutch was suddenly very very hard. I took it to a garage close to my house and they changed the clutch. After that I took the car for a drive- everything seemed fine but after a stop the car started stalling (even though I was not making it stall!) and the gearstick would be completely stuck not letting me change gears or put the car in neutral! Only after turning the car off and on the gearstick would move. I called roadside assistance again and took the car to the same garage that fitted the clutch. The car seemed fine again but then I noticed a leak. Took the car again- they have replaced something (which I couldn't mention here because I didn't understand what exactly was replaced). I drove the car for another 100 miles in total and the car is still leaking brake fluid (I believe from the bell housing). It seems that it starts leaking the more I drive. I plan to take the car again to the same garage tomorrow. Wondering if anyone would have any thoughts on this?

IMG_20231112_091225.jpg

IMG_20231111_105639.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silviabia said:

... the clutch was suddenly very very hard.

Hi Silvia, could you please try and expand on that? Did you mean that the pedal wouldn't move at all or that it went right to the floor and nothing happened (to allow you to change gear)?

• Like 1

Did they do a full clutch kit ? Looks like the slave cylinder has let go or there is an issue with the pipe work

take it back asap, and find out what they fitted whether it was just a clutch plate, clutch and pressure plate or a full kit inc slave cylinder

price is usually a good indicator

• Like 3

Sounds like a leaking slave / actuator cylinder. It sits on the bell housing and disengages the clutch when you press the clutch pedal. It could be the hydraulic line that connects the cylinder that's leaking.

Take a look at your invoice to see if they've listed what they've changed. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CPN said:

Hi Silvia, could you please try and expand on that? Did you mean that the pedal wouldn't move at all or that it went right to the floor and nothing happened (to allow you to change gear)?

The clutch pedal would move and let changed the gear but it was not easy to press down as it should be.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, APS said:

Sounds like a leaking slave / actuator cylinder. It sits on the bell housing and disengages the clutch when you press the clutch pedal. It could be the hydraulic line that connects the cylinder that's leaking.

Take a look at your invoice to see if they've listed what they've changed. 

This is a small garage- they didn't give me an invoice. I will ask exactly what was changed tomorrow when I go there.

49 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Did they do a full clutch kit ? Looks like the slave cylinder has let go or there is an issue with the pipe work

take it back asap, and find out what they fitted whether it was just a clutch plate, clutch and pressure plate or a full kit inc slave cylinder

price is usually a good indicator

Thanks- I will take it tomorrow and ask exactly what was changed. They didn't give me an invoice but I paid £470 total for both clutch and brake pads and disks as well to be changed - which I think it was not very expensive at all, maybe it was not a full kit?

• Like 1

You may have a hydraulic activated thrust bearing inside the bell housing that is leaking. The fluid expands the bearing when the pedal is pushed, disengaging the clutch. If this is leaking the fluid out then the car will not change gear as the clutch will remain engaged. This should have been replaced with the clutch.

image.thumb.png.199a53818cb32eed41f59053e55490d6.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scannerman said:

You may have a hydraulic activated thrust bearing inside the bell housing that is leaking. The fluid expands the bearing when the pedal is pushed, disengaging the clutch. If this is leaking the fluid out then the car will not change gear as the clutch will remain engaged. This should have been replaced with the clutch.

image.thumb.png.199a53818cb32eed41f59053e55490d6.png

Do I detect a whiff of AI?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

I don't think so, a bit of cut and paste maybe

The Mk3 Yaris manual uses a concentric slave, mid 2000s is the last time the Yaris used an external slave

a Failed pressure plate may cause the slave to over extend

4 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

No, am alive and breathing.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:37 PM, silviabia said:

Thanks- I will take it tomorrow and ask exactly what was changed. They didn't give me an invoice but I paid £470 total for both clutch and brake pads and disks as well to be changed - which I think it was not very expensive at all, maybe it was not a full kit?

I have two Yaris, one old style manual thrust bearing, one hydraulic, last clutch change for both was was £600 each, I think it books at 6hrs as the gear box needs removing.  A garage would be charging a couple of hundred for the brake job alone.

With a ramp and tranny stand you can do it about 2-3 hours, one grease monkey and one parts fitter (aka apprentice/tea boy/goffer)

iirc the old Vauxhall Astray and chavalier could both be done in an hour on jack stands no less !! 1 big nut and the input shaft come out just enough to clear the pressure plate and the clutch they come out of the bell housing inspection cover

A small garage that doesn't give out invoices?

georgecole4.thumb.jpg.629ae5f23df2d4322c77bbe16cfd5b65.jpg

"There you go madam, clutch and brakes all fixed. Drives like new". 

If they don't give out invoices then I'm asking myself how do they warranty the parts and/or their work? Forgive my scepticism, but they don't sound very professional. Do they know what they're doing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

With a ramp and tranny stand you can do it about 2-3 hours, one grease monkey and one parts fitter (aka apprentice/tea boy/goffer)

iirc the old Vauxhall Astray and chavalier could both be done in an hour on jack stands no less !! 1 big nut and the input shaft come out just enough to clear the pressure plate and the clutch they come out of the bell housing inspection cover

Didn't say how long it would take to do, just what it's booked out at. Maybe the guy who did the job took two hours and now it's leaking.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links