Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost of replacement 2017 Toyota Yaris 1.5 Icon Tech CVT key

sproutdreamer

THinking of viewing a car tomorrow but it has only one key. Any ideas on the current cost of a new key-unfortunately the Tpypta aprts dept are now shut so cannot get a quote from them.

As a guesstimate, £200-300 maybe a little more if it's a keyless car (including programming)

• Like 1

A private sale or trade? If trade insist on a 2nd remote key. 

• Like 3

Yeah, if it is from a dealer, negotiate that as a condition of sale to save hassle.

I started using the argument that the car was not complete if it didn't come with a full set of keys, and should be discounted if they don't supply them :laugh: 

• Like 1

Thanks it is a private sale. The seller thought a new key about £160, which I thought was optimitic which is why I am asking about this.

The car has done a very low mileage, owned by a very elderly driver packing it in. I know very low mileages are not necessarily a good thing apart from that  was wndering in what ways a driver with very bad cognitive health might ill use or damage a car. The only one I can think of is engaging park when the car is still moving, if that is possible. Any other things?

Do a HPI check on the car, it may have had a minor prang, parking dings and curb rash on low mile cars are common

• Like 1

£160-180 for the Key and cut from a dealer, the rest is programming costs what depends on the dealer

It's always worth at least entering the reg on the gov.uk MOT history checker.

Things like HPI and CarVertical may also be worth doing for piece of mind, but if it's so low mileage it probably hasn't had any major issues aside from lack of use, which can cause issues with diesels but is less of a problem with petrols.

The key cost about the ballpark flash says; Might be able to get it cheaper by a third party, but there's also a risk they'll cock it up whereas it's the one thing I've not known dealers to mess up. They will want to see the V5C for proof of ownership (Even tho', ironically, the V5C clearly says it isn't proof of ownership :laugh: ) so you won't be able to do it until you get the updated logbook unless the original owner is willing to get the ball rolling with it with you.

• Like 1

All good advice here. 
In addition to all checks and history a thoroughly check for corrosion and water leaks insulation cabin. Engine oil condition and all previous changes, services etc. Brakes, all corners for rust and scoring on the discs plus the tyres for been dry rotted. 
Good luck 

the cheaper option is get a used key, get a new blank cut then find an auto locksmith - programming is simple when you have a key already that works

3 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

Thanks it is a private sale. The seller thought a new key about £160, which I thought was optimitic which is why I am asking about this.

The car has done a very low mileage, owned by a very elderly driver packing it in. I know very low mileages are not necessarily a good thing apart from that  was wndering in what ways a driver with very bad cognitive health might ill use or damage a car. The only one I can think of is engaging park when the car is still moving, if that is possible. Any other things?

A lot of older drivers (including me) sometimes have difficulty with maintenance due to mobility problems.

Things like not checking tyre pressures often enough (just kick them 😃),hand washing the car, and opening the door to let the clutch out, sorry 😔.

But I think muscle memory takes care of the actual driving and operating the car correctly.

Unlike a pal of mine,who was not elderly,far from it, but preparing for a trip to big scary London,big event round here.

Topped up the oil in his Astra van until it was gurgling round the valve cover, fortunately also left off the filler cap.

Didn't blow the engine by some miracle, and as a bonus never had under bonnet rust,as the whole of the front end was dripping with oil for months.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links