Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New to Yaris Hybrid

TDG

My wife is delighted with her new (to her) 2013 47K mile Yaris Hybrid. It's almost too good to be true - absolutely spotless inside and out 

I have been reading with interest the stuff on this forum which has been informative  and useful.  Her first c, 200 miles were entirely town and county  driving followed  by a 290 miles of mixed driving, about  half of which was motorway/dual cariageway. In both case the computer showed 59 mpg which I thought was ok but a bit strange to be identical for such different driving conditions.  I was  not so please to note that when checked full tank to full tank the actual consumptions was 48 mpg - a 20% error! Has anyone else seen such a large error?

Reading the comments about extracting the best mpg from the hybrid, it struck that ,with the exception to the hybrid specific aspects,  most tips are applicable to all cars. I have a Mk7 2.0 TDI Golf and on a 450mile round trip to Brighton averaging 50mph I usually get 64 mpg. One of the techniques I have used on many cars  is to get up to speed,  then lift the throttle a bit, allow to speed to decay then accelerate again, the lift again........  Not too dissimilar  to that described for a hybrid driving ?

• Like 4

Welcome to the hybrid world. I had a 2016 yaris icon hybrid for 5 years, the computer always tend to over read the actual mpg, though I did not actually ever go full tank to tank check as wasn't bother. 

Mine came with 175mm tyres which were too narrow, put 185mm on later which improved it but still wasn't good enough for fast speed bends. That also has to do with other setup of the car. Speed to desire speed, lift off and hold. Upto 38mph speed to make use of EV when available. 5 years trouble free motoring then change to a new MK4 design recently, it's a huge improvement. Got approx 74mpg  on a 88 miles round trip in the summer - 79.6mpg on computer, minus 7% as computer over estimate mpg. A 17 miles town trip got 83.9mpg on the computer = approx 78mpg. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure with the Mk3, but my Mk4's mpg display can be set to Instant, This Trip, This Tank or Lifetime - If it's not changing it may be set to one of the longer-term averages?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TDG said:

One of the techniques I have used on many cars  is to get up to speed,  then lift the throttle a bit, allow to speed to decay then accelerate again, the lift again........

That's one way to annoy everyone else on the motorway 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

If you're just lifting off a bit, the drop in speed is very slow but you get a big boost in mpg - I sometimes do this when I'm on an economy run, holding the car just inside the EV-only zone until I drop to maybe 58mph, then Eco+ up to just over 60mph again, lifty trick to go back into EV mode again etc.

Although I've increasingly gotten a lot lazier because of the auto-driving cruise control, and just set it to a fixed speed and let the car drive :laugh:  The mpg is generally worse compared to if I'm driving, but the difference is small enough I can ignore it and on a long drive my brain feels a lot less frazzled, which is worth the cost of a few mpg IMHO!

• Like 3

I only go by average or measured from full tank to empty or the more miles you've driven the more accurate the mpg is. Sometimes I got 40mpg on a trip, other times 100. 

If you want best mpg, slow acceleration, coasting and limit speeds to 62mph. You probably don't have to be in ECO mode for this at all.

Edit: sorry didn't realise it's a 2013 model, might not be applicable what I've said

Edited by Serban
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Welcome to the hybrid world. I had a 2016 yaris icon hybrid for 5 years, the computer always tend to over read the actual mpg, though I did not actually ever go full tank to tank check as wasn't bother. 

Mine came with 175mm tyres which were too narrow, put 185mm on later which improved it but still wasn't good enough for fast speed bends. That also has to do with other setup of the car. Speed to desire speed, lift off and hold. Upto 38mph speed to make use of EV when available. 5 years trouble free motoring then change to a new MK4 design recently, it's a huge improvement. Got approx 74mpg  on a 88 miles round trip in the summer - 79.6mpg on computer, minus 7% as computer over estimate mBut pg. A 17 miles town trip got 83.9mpg on the computer = approx 78mpg. 

But we're seeing a 20% over-estimate!!

TDG

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

The mpg is generally worse compared to if I'm driving, but the difference is small enough I can ignore it

My wife hasn't hacked the CC and does return better consumption even though not a gentle with throttle and brake 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links