Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reduced engine power consult dealer

Roadrunner Newquay

Hi! Toyota Yaris Hybrid 2018. 
Went to start car, started but message came up reduced engine power consult dealer then messaged disappeared. Turned it off, tried again. Would not start, then when I pressed on/off button made a whirring noise. Was not sure on/off, no power. Tried lights etc, nothing. Cannot lock doors but boot unable to open.  when last driven I locked it but did not hear the click clunk. Checked was locked.

Not in AA or any recovery places.  
waiting for a mobile mechanic to contact me back……

Any info much appreciated 

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner Newquay said:

Hi! Toyota Yaris Hybrid 2018. 
Went to start car, started but message came up reduced engine power consult dealer then messaged disappeared. Turned it off, tried again. Would not start, then when I pressed on/off button made a whirring noise. Was not sure on/off, no power. Tried lights etc, nothing. Cannot lock doors but boot unable to open.  when last driven I locked it but did not hear the click clunk. Checked was locked.

Not in AA or any recovery places.  
waiting for a mobile mechanic to contact me back……

Any info much appreciated 

Sounds like your 12v has gone west

• Like 2

Hi, I looked up changing the Battery but said it’s better for hybrid techs to do it. I have changed batteries in other cars ok. More concerned that I might lose settings etc. 

Might have to bite bullet and contact local Toyota to come and collect I…🙁

Thanks for replying

21 minutes ago, Roadrunner Newquay said:

More concerned that I might lose settings etc. 

If it's as dead as you describe they are probably gone anyway.

35 minutes ago, Roadrunner Newquay said:

when I pressed on/off button made a whirring noise

Probably the brake assist pump. That does seem to be a final straw for iffy batteries because it runs when the driver's door is opened, before the car is turned on and the HV Battery can start supporting the 12V.

38 minutes ago, Roadrunner Newquay said:

Went to start car,

How long had it been sat unused?

Last drove Friday, tried to drive Sunday.  

No need to worry about changing Battery on hybrid or electric cars. It’s the same as any other cars. 
Just buy a smart charger, open bonnet, locate your emergency jump start points, connect charger and charge your Battery for 30 min. Disconnect, unlock the car , connect directly to the Battery terminals your charger leads and leave it charging slowly until charger shows fully charged battery at around 13v. You can also just charge via emergency points under bonnet if your 12v battery is under rear seat and not easy to access. It’s not a problem. 
But you will need to be prepared to buy a new battery soon. Once a 12v battery is dead completely, it won’t last long before dies again especially if you don’t drive every day and for longer times. 👍

• Like 2

Just to clarify, there are 2 batteries - The big traction Battery, and the normal 12v Battery.

Do not touch the big traction Battery.

The 12v battery you can safely charge yourself if you have the means; It sounds like yours might need replacing, or at least a good long charge.

• Like 3

As above sounds like the 12v Battery is depleted. It's under the rear seat. Check out the mini saga thread, i posted on next Battery to get also a chart to check  the health of Battery voltage. Use the connecting points in the engine bay. 

• Like 3

Last drove Friday, tried to drive Sunday.  
Got a charger and it’s on now.  Phoned Toyota that was his advice. Hope it works. Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links