Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Early oil change?

aygowhereugo

Hello all!

It's nearly a year since I got my Aygo X. With school runs becoming a regular feature since September, I ended up with a few instances of clutch burn (the area around the school is terrible, remember the argument with a Victorian streetlight?).

I checked the engine oil too and this is what it currently looks like.
Since I am planning a longer trip around New Year, does it make sense to have the engine oil changed?

The car has done about 3500mi (overall 6500mi) in the last year (went for the 6mo intermediate service check in June) and is due for full check again next June.
Also, given the incidents of clutch burn, does the full service check include checking on the clutch wear or does that need to be requested separately?

Thanks!

Untitled.thumb.jpg.79349ec1a477ace1af47f301bdc7dc18.jpg Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.e678d2ea64512b209c7d7cc2ca279d92.jpg

• Like 1

That oil looks dark to me. What journeys do you regularly do (mileage/time)?

Whilst the service interval is 10K miles, i'd be changing it sooner if most journeys were short ones (even just an oil change and no filter). Due to the oil not getting up to ideal operating temperature this degrades the oil faster and reduces its lubricating and cooling properties. 

• Like 2

Looks ok to me, I'd just get it done at the next service. A service will not look into clutch wear, just carry on driving normally until the clutch point is really high and takes a lot gas to get it moving. 

• Like 5

If the oil was replaced in June, you don't need to replace it again. Of course, it won't do any harm, but it won't make much difference either. Make sure it is topped up. The colour is more indicative of short runs. 

Beyond a high biting point or slipping, they won't measure the clutch friction material at service.

A long drive will do your car good. If you want to, you could replace the oil after the long drive. Then you have exactly six months to the next service.

• Like 5

It looks little bit darker and in between min and max which indicates some consumption. Perhaps cold starts and short runs. In these scenarios early oil changes might be beneficial. The idea of changing it after the long drive is good indeed. 

• Like 1

You mention a 6 month inspection in June, was that just an inspection or did it include an oil change? If it didn’t include an oil change, it will need one after 12 months. 

Stick to the intervals that the manufacturer of the car recommend, they know best.

I don't think they performed an oil change at the June minor service (which was at 1year for the car and 6mo into my ownership). Yes, this is primarily city driving, short 4-5 mi journeys each way.

I was considering oil change to ensure smoother running for the long journey.

If it was due an oil change at the service, it will have been done.

I refer you to my previous post.

If it was an intermediate service in June, that would have included an oil change, so it doesn't need one until either the car reaches 2 years of age, or 10,000 miles since the last service, whichever occurs first.

Just make sure the oil is topped up to the maximum mark on the dipstick as and when required, and you will be fine.

• Like 2

There is a huge debate when it comes to oil change.  Anyway, there are a number of factors to be considered:

1. Short Trips vs Long Trips - Short journey wears out Engine more especially during engine start up.  In fact, some analyst suggest long journey (driving on Motorway at 70 mph) only account to 10% of overall engine wear.
  2. Level of pollution - while you may think engine oil is shielded from outside elements, but polluted area put more strain on Engine oil.  In fact, I've seen some Car User Manual reduce the service interval by half if the car was to be used in dusty environment. 
  3. Turbo vs Non-turbo - Turbo break down engine oil faster.

Back to the question, should you change the engine oil at 3500 miles?  I personally think it's overkill.  The earliest oil change interval suggested by vast majority of YouTubers is 5000 miles.  Sure it may look a bit dark, but colours can be deceiving and it is certainly nowhere near the worst I've seen.  On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being clean, your is like 5 just by the colour.

Personally, I changed my oil every 5-6000 miles.  For those who ask me to change oil for them, I recommends 6-8000 miles.

Toyota like most other car manufacturers recommend 10,000 miles or yearly whichever comes first.  it's fine if you do about half of high speed driving I guess OR if you pre-plan the life expectancy of your engine to be around 130 to 190k miles.

Note, I've heard Toyota Engine wore out around 170K for those who change their oil every 10,000.  Consider the UK average mileage at scrappage is 120K, it is okay I guess?!?!  But if you want your car or at least the engine to last longer, I would change it sooner.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links