Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Giving my IQ some needed attention

DeborahIQ

Hello!

in 2012 I bought my first IQ during my study at university and drove miles and miles and miles to different hospitals and I LOVED the car. I “grew up” got a kid and started driving bigger cars. And always and always longed back for the days in my IQ. No matter how much the cars would cost and how many options or brand. I missed my IQ. My partner hates them but I picked one up this week.. the cappuccino colour and an automatic (both important to me).. but I see that the car has lost a bit of his glory. I could not be to precise with my wishes because I could not find a decent one (automatic)… 

I would love to change the buckle “thing” the red is gone to pink… and some minor things. 

They have a wire and the place where the screw go’s. I see them even on AliExpress. Is it something I can do myself (a women never done something myself to a car?) or do I need to buy it and ask a garage to do it for me? What do my fellow IQ lovers think? 

just want it back to his former glory.

also have a problem with the “glove compartment”.. the metallic thing in the car where you need to push the back onto is not gripping very wel. Like it’s to loose. Any ideas?

I’m Dutch so my apologies for spelling or lack of technical terms.

thank you for your help. 

• Like 4

+1 for another Dutch IQ in cappuccino colour with CVT! 😍

My red buttons of the buckle slots are also fading, not much to do about. As it is a big safety option i should never swap them for Chinese imitation ones. They are just screwed with one bolt and a wire for the belt sensor.
Maybe better to use a can of red spraypaint for plastic to make the button red again? 

Member @glimp done some DIY glovebag, he knows more bout these buttons.
See the topic about it here : 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:44 PM, DeborahIQ said:

Also have a problem with the “glove compartment”.. the metallic thing in the car where you need to push the back onto is not gripping very wel. Like it’s to loose. Any ideas?

You can unscrew them and put new ones on, They are very cheap on eBay. You need the 15mm ones - and the colour is Bronze.

Ebay Link

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Deborah, the IQ is very much sought after now, wish I'd kept mine. Some pictures would be good 👍

• Like 1

I concur - before I went the iQ route I had investigated the Aygo X and was unimpressed (it was the first time I ‘noticed’ Toyota) but whilst it was the right size, it felt ‘cheap’ and a pal suggested the iQ which he claimed was a better build quality.   This YT video may be of interest if you think I’m wearing rose-tinted glasses!

https://youtu.be/sUjq1H9bfaY

• Like 4

Oooh I didn't know Techmoan reviewed cars, where did you find that link??

But yeah, the Aygo (X) is still basically a budget city car; Given that it's even more budget than the Yaris, which was originally a budget city car, no frills is to be expected!

The IQ on the other hand was meant to be a more premium luxury competitor to the Smart car, so it's much plusher; I've always said it's basically the front half of an Avensis :laugh: 

I’ve been a supporter of his for about 8 years - you’re right, he doesn’t do cars as a rule but did compare his Smart to the iQ (which he didn’t own) and I thought he was very fair and it helped me join those singing it’s praises.  

It’s a great shame that you get a brand you can trust (like Philips/Sony etc) then they start the slide into mediocrity….   I think I’m driving a compact Avensis anyway!

• Haha 1

Yeah Sony's decline is pretty bad - They are basically a media license company and Playstation now.

It sucks as their hardware engineering was incredible, but they always crippled themselves by being too greedy.

Toyota has reoriented themselves slightly over the years, esp. in the West, because of Lexus - That's why older Toyota models tended to be plusher, whereas now they aim for affordable reliability and leave Lexus to add the plushness.

It's great for me as I want my money to go to useful things (Great drive train, HUD) and not things that I don't care about (Soft plastics, although I would have liked a teeeny bit more sound deadening in the Mk4... :laugh: ). Most people find this bizarre, but one of the draws of the Mk4 Yaris for me was, ironically, that it DIDN'T have built-in satnav :laugh: I never liked manufacturer satnavs because they never support them long term and map updates are always extortionate and half-baked once you get out of the initial free period, and would resent that I was paying for it when I'd never use it.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links