Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can anyone explain Toyota's maths wrt Range?

Nick72

The App is an example but I also can't get the figures on the dash to add up either.

Screenshot_20231129_101617_MyToyota.jpg

17 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

The App is an example but I also can't get the figures on the dash to add up either.

Screenshot_20231129_101617_MyToyota.jpg

Nick

This error has been mentioned by a number of users of the app (Toyota and Lexus), I'm seeing the same thing too. Have no idea why some people see it whilst most don't 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Nick

This error has been mentioned by a number of users of the app (Toyota and Lexus), I'm seeing the same thing too. Have no idea why some people see it whilst most don't 

Thanks. Been that way for a number of months.

On the dash when in Hybrid mode I assume the range listed is petrol only range with Aircon on but excluding the c. 2 gallon reserve? Or at least this is what I've convinced myself it means 😅

2 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Thanks. Been that way for a number of months.

On the dash when in Hybrid mode I assume the range listed is petrol only range with Aircon on but excluding the c. 2 gallon reserve? Or at least this is what I've convinced myself it means

The range figure on the dash is its estimate of the range to 'empty' excluding the 'reserve' based on the assumption that you continue to drive as you have been 'recently' - i.e. the average of the last 100 miles or so. So, it will give a greater estimate if you have been hyper-mileing with everything 'off' than if you have been driving ton-up with aircon on and the windows open. 😉

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The range figure on the dash is its estimate of the range to 'empty' excluding the 'reserve' based on the assumption that you continue to drive as you have been 'recently' - i.e. the average of the last 100 miles or so. So, it will give a greater estimate if you have been hyper-mileing with everything 'off' than if you have been driving ton-up with aircon on and the windows open. 😉

Thanks Philip. That's helpful. My driving is generated mixed with little variability so it should be a reasonable range estimate. Good to know it excludes the reserve which should amount to about 80 to 110 miles?

6 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Thanks Philip. That's helpful. My driving is generated mixed with little variability so it should be a reasonable range estimate. Good to know it excludes the reserve which should amount to about 80 to 110 miles?

I'd be reasonably confident that I could go another 30 miles once the estimated range gets to zero - i.e. sufficient to get to the next service station - but I wouldn't try to go any further ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philip42h said:

I'd be reasonably confident that I could go another 30 miles once the estimated range gets to zero - i.e. sufficient to get to the next service station - but I wouldn't try to go any further ...

I thought the reserve was about 2 gallons or 2 US gallons. I did manage to miss a services on the motorway a while ago when I hit reserve and managed what I think was another 60 to 80 anxious miles until the next services so I can confidently say it is at least 60 miles.

@Nick72  I've guesstimated the reserve on my PHEV to be about 2 gallons also. I've got to the reserve then topped up the tank based on the tank spec'd capacity that suggests the 2 gallon figure. On the 'dial' there does seem to be a lot of space still under the needle once it hits reserve. Anyway your practical test Nick pretty much supports the figure, not that I usually drive down to the reserve anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 7:22 AM, ernieb said:

@Nick72  I've guesstimated the reserve on my PHEV to be about 2 gallons also. I've got to the reserve then topped up the tank based on the tank spec'd capacity that suggests the 2 gallon figure. On the 'dial' there does seem to be a lot of space still under the needle once it hits reserve. Anyway your practical test Nick pretty much supports the figure, not that I usually drive down to the reserve anyway.

Thanks Ernie. So I guess even conservatively speaking there's probably at least 80 miles there before we get down to the sludge in the tank. 

Not really had much to talk about on the forum. The car is pretty solid. Crunch time around February because I'll need to order a new company car. The favourite is the GR Sport R4P but not sure if it's white or red unless they're going to do other colours and in which case it might need to be dark grey or silver. 

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

Thanks Ernie. So I guess even conservatively speaking there's probably at least 80 miles there before we get down to the sludge in the tank. 

Not really had much to talk about on the forum. The car is pretty solid. Crunch time around February because I'll need to order a new company car. The favourite is the GR Sport R4P but not sure if it's white or red unless they're going to do other colours and in which case it might need to be dark grey or silver. 

Very pleased with my red PHEV, lovely colour with the black roof (in the sun there are blue/silver specs - looks great to my eye)

• Like 1

Just a quickie

are the mpg figures based on:

imperial gallons

us gallons

euro gallons (litre conversion)

uk imperial miles length

us mile length

japanese mile length

and what temperature were these readings taken?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Just a quickie

are the mpg figures based on:

imperial gallons

us gallons

euro gallons (litre conversion)

uk imperial miles length

us mile length

japanese mile length

and what temperature were these readings taken?

Imperial. Temperatures probably between 10C and 20C. Not that it makes more than 5% of difference.

5 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Imperial. Temperatures probably between 10C and 20C. Not that it makes more than 5% of difference.

Engine at 10c is WAY different than at 20c. Def not 5%

6 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Engine at 10c is WAY different than at 20c. Def not 5%

Explain how. The engine reaches thermal equilibrium after about 5 to 10 minutes. 

Just now, Nick72 said:

Explain how. The engine reaches thermal equilibrium after about 5 to 10 minutes. 

5 or 10 minutes please be imperial with your maths. 
10 min on “heat up mode” will drop mpg to 13-15. On the toyota guessometer

so without “heat up mode” at 20c no drop. 

31 minutes ago, Paul john said:

5 or 10 minutes please be imperial with your maths. 
10 min on “heat up mode” will drop mpg to 13-15. On the toyota guessometer

so without “heat up mode” at 20c no drop. 

Confused. 

Engine will reach thermal equilibrium after 5 to 10 minutes, after which mpg is relatively constant noting what I said previously. Outside Static Air Temperature and fuel temperature makes no more than about 5% difference to ICE mpg for temperature ranges seen in the UK. This is a UK forum.

If you're doing mostly sub 10 minute journeys then you're best sticking with EV mode or recognising you've bought the wrong car and should have gone for a small Battery EV. But I think most folks here are probably driving for much more than 10 minutes when in hybrid mode.

Hope this makes sense. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links