Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Yaris stiff gear movement

Robbiel

Hi I have a 5yr old Hybrid Yaris and over the last few days I've noticed that when I start the car I find the gear shift from the P position to the D position is very sticky and not as smooth as before but after a drive and when I'm parking up again and move the gear stick back to P its a smooth movement. Any idea what this could be...Its due a service in January.

I've no idea Rob, but its a definate mention when its in for service.

If you've had freezing weather in Dublin recently it could be icing. The selector probably involves a cable to the gearbox which may have collected some water inside.

Certainly ask the garage to check it and maybe try and squirt some lube or WD40 into it and on any exposed levers, etc.

• Like 1

P is cable operated and if the car is not used often and is a low mileage example it is likely you have some dirt or rust accumulation on moving parts on top of the transmission where cable connects to these parts. Typical for manual cars including Yarises. 

What's the mileage ? the yaris uses a selector cable, its not electronic like the Auris/Corolla (Auris mk1's use a cable too)

the selector switch and cable are on the front of the gear box

1678986566696_default

I would start with a good clean with a degreaser and lube it up

a few good moves of the shifter from P to B and back may also help (some cars never get shifted past D)

• Like 1

If you try and move the gear selector out of Park while it's still priming, there is some resistance. The gear selector works smoothly when it stops priming.

I tried it earlier today in my 2020 Mk3 Hybrid in cold conditions, 1°C outside temp and the car being parked up for 4 days. I normally wait a few seconds whilst in Ready mode before moving the selector.

• 5 months later...

I Have a 2023 hybrid GR From Toyota Neath Road Swansea ,and since new my auto box has been stiff , going from Park down to Drive you have to do slowly as it is a tad stiff , Its fine really not too bothered , 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links