Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo 2019 battery

Neeewb

Apologies if this was asked here before.

My Aygo 2019 needs an urgent battery replacing but I’m not sure where to find an info on what type of Battery I need. How do I find out whether I need a start-stop Battery or a standard one? I’m planning on buying online and having them to come over to change it (Halfords for example).

I think if you have the Stop/Start function in your car, there may well be a specific Battery, as I can't see a normal Battery taking all the start/stop extra load !!

When I buy a Battery, whichever one is recommended,  I always go for the next one up, same applies for brake pads etc, just makes me feel better and is a better long investment, especially if you are planning on keeping the car.

Find out if you had the Start & Stop Function:

image.png.d587a86149568e4c084723bed61dd5d7.png

If you had this function, you'll need a Start-Stop Battery.

Start-Stop Battery (at least here in the UK) is either Enhance-Flooded Battery (EFB) or Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM).  In the old days, AGM was very expensive which leads to manufacturers opt for EFB.  Nowadays, the difference between the two is very small.  Furthermore, AGM generally last longer than EFB which leads to everyone buying AGM instead of EFB.  (Note that the majority of vehicle that uses EFB can switch to AGM without any issue.)

How do you know which battery to order?  Easiest way is go to a website, type in your Car's registration number and verify. E.g: https://www.tayna.co.uk/, enter your registration, then select battery.  Check to see if the details matches i.e:

1. Possible Marked Code - also known as the UK reference

2. Does it have Start-stop function in your car?

3. Battery dimensions 

4. Terminal positions.

If you are deep into the technicality of it, 3 and 4 will determine 1.  Say my battery is 278mm Length x 175mm width x 190mm Height  Terminal with Positive at Lower Right, Negative at Lower Left.  Then it is a 096 UK reference battery.  Then if my car has Start-Stop function, I will need to buy a 096 AGM battery.

YOU CAN stick an AGM battery into a Non Start-Stop car.  I've done it to 2 cars and never had any problems except a waste of money.

Good luck

Thank you so so much! Really appreciate your thorough answer, very helpful 🙏🏻 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links