Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mega miles auris hybrids vs prius

solero

I dont see many auris hybrids for sale with 200k/300k/400k as you do with priuses.

Any reason why? I thought they shared similar 1.8 hybrid engine and cvt gearbox.

I would guess ithat Aurises are scrapped for other reasons long before they reach that mileage. Priuses are commonly used as taxis so can run up huge mileages in just a few years.

An Auris can reach that mileage, as exemplified by @TonyHSD.

• Like 2

Also I don't think the hybrid version of the Auris sold in particularly large numbers in the early days. Most early Auris were either conventional petrol or diesel. 

• Like 2

Actually there are many early Auris hybrids in London and around, even more than ever before as these are still £0 road tax and ulez compliant cars, easy to drive and very efficient.
You probably don’t see them much on the roads because they are mostly private use , too small for taxi and ph like Uber., although in Yorkshire area around Bradford there are many of these as taxis along with ct200h.
If you drive around northwest London HA and NW post codes you can see Auris hybrid gen 1 together with Priuses of course on each road, no exceptions. , sometimes even on each driveway. More interestingly is that many owners including me do not change these Aurises for newer models. I remember these cars parked on their driveways for over 8 years now. , haha these are probably on a similar low miles too, where my one ages like a single malt scotch whiskey 🥃 

• Like 3

@TonyHSD makes an interesting point: I suspect the Auris is bought by people who will stick with if it's reliable rather than chopping it in for the sake of having a new car.

My own is coming up to 10 years old and 67000 miles (barely run-in in Tony's world). It doesn't have Android Auto or Carplay but it does have creature comforts I actually care about.

Obviously it lacks modern safety aids but that doesn't bother me enough to get back on the finance treadmill. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mcntosh said:

@TonyHSD makes an interesting point: I suspect the Auris is bought by people who will stick with if it's reliable rather than chopping it in for the sake of having a new car.

My own is coming up to 10 years old and 67000 miles (barely run-in in Tony's world). It doesn't have Android Auto or Carplay but it does have creature comforts I actually care about.

Obviously it lacks modern safety aids but that doesn't bother me enough to get back on the finance treadmill. 

The Auris 2014 (a renamed corolla at that time) is awesome. Especially in TS…

if i could add my penny worth …

when i first looked at the gen4 prius i seriously considered the auris .

however i found that the lower ground clearance on the auris meant i banged my head every time i got in.

Performance wise auris and prius of the same generation are very close… and drive the same .

The Prius just has more “toys”

• Like 2

Toyota made some changes to the chassis setup of the Auris when they launched the hybrid version in July 2010. Lower ride and quicker steering rack makes it better to drive than the 3rd gen Prius in my view. It's almost fun to drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, APS said:

Toyota made some changes to the chassis setup of the Auris when they launched the hybrid version in July 2010. Lower ride and quicker steering rack makes it better to drive than the 3rd gen Prius in my view. It's almost fun to drive.

Almost?
try it in power mode. 
lol

1 hour ago, APS said:

I’ve never even bothered to try to finding any fun driving my Auris. It’s so unengaging I sometimes have to remind myself it’s not actually self-driving. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mcntosh said:

I’ve never even bothered to try to finding any fun driving my Auris. It’s so unengaging I sometimes have to remind myself it’s not actually self-driving. 

If a car is not  fun change it for something that is. 

I have a 2015 pre facelift Auris Hybrid TS.

Nippy enough, bought with 28k miles in Jan 2020, now on 47k.

Like the light headliner, fuel economy, £0 road tax. Colour. Island Blue. Moves well when you floor it or in power mode. 

Recently drove a 2022 Corolla icon TS in silver while mine being serviced and liked it except found interior roof rather low, dark headliner, made interior gloomy. Seats rather firm/hard. Drove well as only 3,600 miles covered. Didn't use CC or anything but MPG around 15-20mpg more efficient on same trip as my Auris. Around 6 miles one way. Auris 54mpg Corolla 67mpg. both under 50mph rural roads.

Thanked the dealer for use of the car and said it was nice to drive and didn't charge me for the use of it. 

Be interesting what car I get when my Auris has new rear brakes and an MOT!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul john said:

If a car is not  fun change it for something that is. 

I probably should. My midlife crisis is overdue as it is.

• Haha 2

Honestly these cars can be so much fun to drive, but again it will depend on what makes you happy to do with your car. If burning rubber , shift shocks and loud pops are your thing, it’s not gonna happen, but if you like quick and precise drives, with some faster accelerations of the line, they can deliver respectable results. 
I had such an enjoyable drive with my car few nights ago, a 30 min drive to remember.
It was all country lanes somewhere in Hertfordshire.
Weather was bad, rain, sleet, wind and roads flooded with deep puddles covered with leafs, sometimes difficult to see them , few deeper water crosses, and plenty of twisty turns. I also met a dears crossing the road, I had to stop like in a zebra and let them cross the road, there were probably around 10-15 animals, what a beautiful view, felt like I am on a safari.
The challenge was to get to the place quickly without wake up my boss seated next to me. And this is what I did exactly, plus I had some fun, all smooth, precise and quiet. Was it fun, omg so much 😉👌🏁

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, Paul john said:

Almost?
try it in power mode. 
lol

🙂 Makes no difference when the pedal is already to the floor. 🙂 

But brakes are good and the steering is nippy. The Prius (and CT200h) have smaller brakes and more cumbersome steering. 

Back to the OPs question: Yes they share the same driveline. I'd definitely get the first gen Auris Hybrid over the Prius for the better drive. Prius is prime target for Taxis and Auris mostly privately owned. The CT rides the best - more composed and quiet.

• Like 1

+1 for Auris gen 1 top spec trim. 
Ct200h is plusher from all but seats very low and also has a bit of claustrophobic interior especially on the back., low roofline and darker materials. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links