Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Updating iQ TNS Mapping?

Barkley

Boy is this confusing the heck out of me.  The previous owner of my iQ had bought a new SD card around 3-4 years ago. Despite the card stating the mapping is ‘2019-2020 V1’ by looking at the map data I can see that Here (previously Navtech) published it in 2018, so it’s at least 6 years old.  Whilst I doubt there are many new roads added to the UK since then (I never take my vehicles to anywhere outside UK/Ireland) What I find incredibly useful is the maximum speed confirmations as there are signage variations and it’s Russian Roulette when driving in an area you’ve never been to before.

Has Toyota stopped updating mapping for TNS systems?  The latest SD cards seen on eBay appear to stop at 2021, and are marked V2. It seems pointless upgrading to this simply to get 3 year old mapping instead.

Has anyone tried adding updated Here files directly?   Or am I staring an obsolescence in the face?  😱

IMG_0679.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Barkley said:

Boy is this confusing the heck out of me.  The previous owner of my iQ had bought a new SD card around 3-4 years ago. Despite the card stating the mapping is ‘2019-2020 V1’ by looking at the map data I can see that Here (previously Navtech) published it in 2018, so it’s at least 6 years old.  Whilst I doubt there are many new roads added to the UK since then (I never take my vehicles to anywhere outside UK/Ireland) What I find incredibly useful is the maximum speed confirmations as there are signage variations and it’s Russian Roulette when driving in an area you’ve never been to before.

Has Toyota stopped updating mapping for TNS systems?  The latest SD cards seen on eBay appear to stop at 2021, and are marked V2. It seems pointless upgrading to this simply to get 3 year old mapping instead.

Has anyone tried adding updated Here files directly?   Or am I staring an obsolescence in the face?  😱

IMG_0679.jpeg

I found TNS so awkward to operate that I've been using Google Maps since I got the car brand new in 2009. Have you tried to contact Here or search the web for a solution?

For SatNav I use the free Karta GPS app on my smartphone. You can either use it online, or download the maps onto your phone and use it offline (this is what I do). The maps are updated for free quite regularly and if you use it online you can also benefit from traffic warnings (which I don't bother with).

It's even got the new Much Hadham bypass, which only opened recently - I bet the Toyota SD cards wouldn't have that, so yes, I'd say you're probably staring at obsolescence.

All I needed was a phone cradle.

• Like 1

Forget about navigation on the TNS unit, not easy to use, old maps. Use your phone with Google or Apple maps.

Funnily enough - I went from planning to rip out the TNS 310 and replace it with a Pioneer CarPlay unit - that was until I started using it!  The audio was excellent and I could stream DAB stations via bluetooth.  As for mapping, I use Waze for early warnings but I still have the latest CoPilot app I’d use but I’m not doing high mileages to make it all worthwhile plugging if all in. 

The longer I have to get used to TNS, the more I become familiar with its quirky interface so it’ll be a wrench if indeed the mapping is at an end. Next time I pass a dealership I’ll see what their suggestions will be!

I thought you had a TNS350

maps are usually released q1 with data from q1/q2 the previous year

20-21 map is PZ445-EU334-OU or 99536-00346

iirc the touch and tns310/510 maps have now been discontinued as of 2021

A lot of TNS bashing here... and everyone doing the usual forum thing of not answering the OPs question and telling them they should do something totally different.

I've got the 2021 card and it's perfectly decent. How much do maps realistically change? You've all gone mad with obsession of having the latest updates to everything living with smartphones that update apps every few days. Unless you live in a new housing estate it really isn't a big deal.

Yes, google or whatever phone maps have some advantages, but then you've got to mess about with a phone mount, charging it, getting annoyed when you go to that weird place without reception and it doesn't work offline, etc. Having been all around the Scottish Highlands in ours we found smartphones were useless, used the TNS everywhere.

The TNS interface is a bit clunky in places, but if you get used to it, it works well and is quite straight forward. Saving common locations makes it very quick too. I guess not many of you are old enough to have been driving in the post-physical-maps and pre-smartphone 2000s? If you have any experience of other built in navigation systems or tomtoms then the TNS is actually one of the best.

The updates are likely finished as I think the cards were used in other TNS in other toyota vehicles (I think mine came from a Prius), but only until 2021. The file format and security on the cards means you cannot just update the files yourself - I have looked. If someone cracks the cards, or Toyota open them up, then maybe, but that's unlikely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, eein said:

A lot of TNS bashing here...

There was a bit - but does its weaknesses usurp its benefits? I don’t think so.  If - as you suggest the TNS has reached the end of its life, then I might be tempted to get the same update that you mentioned, nor for the updated mapping but a spare SD to swap with should it go pear shaped (as I noticed the copy protection was more than just a read/write inhibitor. 

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

I thought you had a TNS350

I do - brain fade! 🤓

• Haha 1

There’s no question that TNS will continue to operate (albeit with reduced accuracy and usefulness) indeed there are many iQ’s that didn’t have the same longevity, but I find it sad that for purely commercial reasons updated mapping has ended!

12 hours ago, eein said:

A lot of TNS bashing here... and everyone doing the usual forum thing of not answering the OPs question and telling them they should do something totally different.

I've got the 2021 card and it's perfectly decent. How much do maps realistically change? You've all gone mad with obsession of having the latest updates to everything living with smartphones that update apps every few days. Unless you live in a new housing estate it really isn't a big deal.

Yes, google or whatever phone maps have some advantages, but then you've got to mess about with a phone mount, charging it, getting annoyed when you go to that weird place without reception and it doesn't work offline, etc. Having been all around the Scottish Highlands in ours we found smartphones were useless, used the TNS everywhere.

The TNS interface is a bit clunky in places, but if you get used to it, it works well and is quite straight forward. Saving common locations makes it very quick too. I guess not many of you are old enough to have been driving in the post-physical-maps and pre-smartphone 2000s? If you have any experience of other built in navigation systems or tomtoms then the TNS is actually one of the best.

The updates are likely finished as I think the cards were used in other TNS in other toyota vehicles (I think mine came from a Prius), but only until 2021. The file format and security on the cards means you cannot just update the files yourself - I have looked. If someone cracks the cards, or Toyota open them up, then maybe, but that's unlikely.

Ironically, in criticising others, you seem to be guilty of phone SatNav bashing - precisely the kind of behaviour you're moaning about. There's nothing wrong with the OP being offered alternatives. That's what forum discussion is all about - opening your mind to as many options as possible, so you can make an informed choice that's right for you.

• Like 1

I like my TNS510 for the BT option and the radio, but the navigation function is more then horrible. Way to complicated to use.

And I was driving lorries all over Europe in the 80’s/90’s way before cell phones and satnav, and would probably have be happy with the TNS nav back then.

Don't open your mind too far, your brain may fall out

the TNS350/400/410 are all EOL as the manufacture has dropped all support, technology marches on, AA/AC has its place but not everyone has, needs or wants a phone glued to them, once in a while leave the tech at home and go for a drive, life is too short

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Don't open your mind too far, your brain may fall out

Not sure who this was directed at - but there’s no need to start a slanging match! Yes, TNS is EOL and Toyota no longer support it, but so what? If there’s a market then third-party sellers step in (whether remade or OEM to satisfy such a demand). 

it does appear the protections built in to the mapping data won’t be overcome (no doubt originally to ensure Toyota got the £100pa for new mapping revenue stream).  But now they’ve given this up, why not let users access and purchase other (newer) mapping if another supplier feels in worthwhile?  I have bought a number of products that the OEM did a final update unlocking the product for third party support.

It wouldn’t cost them much to do, and TNS users who remain faithful are looked after.

its all about numbers say there is a 1000 of these units, cars less than 5 years old you may get 30-40% updating the maps, as the car depreciates the likelihood of map updates being done drops off even more, making it not viable, when it comes to modifying maps you are getting into 1% or less of people that want this sort of thing

look at the amount of touch 2 systems that are out there and there is nothing about even after 10+ years, the systems are extremely secure, apart from the no name modules from China there is no development, try and find someone that even programs for the RTOS

Toyota radios are decent for a factory radio but are let down by poor Speakers, I have fixed a fair few now, but a lot now are ageing out with bad memory with next to zero parts availability and the low cost of used units it is not worth repairing them

Not sure who this was directed at

Think I missed the emoji, don't take things out of context, it's just forum banter

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

..once in a while leave the tech at home and go for a drive, life is too short

...not with my missus holding the road atlas I won't! 😶

Life is definitely too short for her 'holiday routes'.

• Haha 1

On one of my recent trips around the Highlands, on one day i deliberately didnt use sat nav of any form or even a physical map. I'd looked at the route before, roughly remembered the major place names along the way, and just set off. I had to actually look at road signs, think about the general direction I was heading. It was a totally different driving experience and I actually saw the world around me. Reminded me of driving in the 90s.

Highly recommended, especially on new roads and routes you've never been on before. In my case I went from the Butt of Lewis to Wick via Altnaharra, highly recommended and the iQ was perfect for it.

If I had used my insanely out of date car nav I probably would have been ok as the roads haven't changed in 300 years. I'm reassured to know that in year 2323 someone will be pottering around in my iQ, still using the TNS with it's good old 2021 eBay SD card.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links