Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris 2012, 1.4D

Varga400

Hello everyone,

I hope that there is some realy smart heads 😀 which can help solve minor problem. Toyota is 1.4 diesel, year 2012 and have a bit over 200 000km. Problem is with cold start when is winter, it has a bit hard start and it starts uneven, but after ca 1 minute it is ok and car drives normaly. There are any warning lamps or failures on the dashboard.  Last winter I changed heatplugs (Bosch) and they working fine, heat relay working ok, I measured Voltage on heaters when i give contact, everything is fine there.... Does anybody have a qualified guess what can be the problem?

Thanks and Regards

I'm going to go with, your injectors need either a dose of Redex or BG244 diesel fuel system cleaner, a few tanks of Shell V-Power diesel, or a good hard hoon through Wales or your nearest source of hilly twisty empty roads.

It's fairly normal for diesels to be harder to start when it's cold, as the ice-cold engine block sucks up all the compression heat so it's harder for the fuel to ignite, but a common problem is the injectors aren't spraying a mist of fuel because the tiny holes are crudded up.

This makes it even harder for the fuel to burn properly, as it needs to be atomised before it can burn, but if it's spraying out like a jet instead of a mist, it has to soak up more heat to vapourize which further cools the cylinder, making it even harder to ignite.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Varga400 said:

I measured Voltage on heaters when i give contact, everything is fine there

Having voltage at the heaters doesn't mean the heaters are working, just the relay. You need to measure the current drawn by each heater.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Having voltage at the heaters doesn't mean the heaters are working, just the relay. You need to measure the current drawn by each heater.

One would hope/expect new Bosch items would work, but yes, you need to check the current to be sure.

• Like 1

Hello, thanks for answer, I have them pulled out and tested if they glow, and they work as it should giving fine red glow an heat. Any other suggestion?

42 minutes ago, Varga400 said:

Hello, thanks for answer, I have them pulled out and tested if they glow, and they work as it should giving fine red glow an heat. Any other suggestion?

Anyway, just to be sure, measured it and each is drawing 9,2-9.5 Amps at start when given contact and falling. So I realy does not know what it could be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Varga400 said:

Any other suggestion?

@Cyker's suggestion in post 2 seems likely the next thing to try. Might need new injectors even, given the kilometers on it. (What's fuel quality like where you live?)

• Like 1

He

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'm going to go with, your injectors need either a dose of Redex or BG244 diesel fuel system cleaner, a few tanks of Shell V-Power diesel, or a good hard hoon through Wales or your nearest source of hilly twisty empty roads.

It's fairly normal for diesels to be harder to start when it's cold, as the ice-cold engine block sucks up all the compression heat so it's harder for the fuel to ignite, but a common problem is the injectors aren't spraying a mist of fuel because the tiny holes are crudded up.

This makes it even harder for the fuel to burn properly, as it needs to be atomised before it can burn, but if it's spraying out like a jet instead of a mist, it has to soak up more heat to vapourize which further cools the cylinder, making it even harder to ignite.

Yeah, you are completely right, that was that that I was affraid of… Quality fuel in Denmark is quite good, but anyway for every 15000 km ( every oil change) I git it Bell add City( Danish product whic is realy good), which cleans injectors and DPF. Car is driven on higway, so not so much City driving. But anyway, maybe I should give it more often this cleaner, no doubt on this, so I”ll give it a try so see if will be bether. Thanks for replay

• Like 1

I used to get weird power loss over time in my old Mk1 Yaris diesel, and someone here suggested giving it an 'italian tuneup', and I found that did help! I tended to use supermarket fuel with it, but every 3-4 tanks or so, or if I had a long journey planned, I started to put in some Shell V-Power diesel, and I also tended to take it for a hoon around the countryside on weekends (It was a fun car to drive :biggrin: ), and I think both of these things helped keep the injectors clean and burn off any crud that was building up.

Hopefully it is something as simple with yours!

• Like 1

Yes, I think that you are right, my is driving very fine, no any power loss, just that hard/rough start in the morning when is under 0 degrees. But yes, I just have gave it som Bell add yesterday because we gonna drive 400km back and forward, then I’m gonna give it one more and every couple 1000km cure, and see if it helps. Thanks 😄

• Like 3

Our Mark 1 Yaris D4D is fine. Every year I run for 20 miles trying to keep he revs around 5,000.  Works a treat.  But is very noisy~!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 8:52 AM, Varga400 said:

Yes, I think that you are right, my is driving very fine, no any power loss, just that hard/rough start in the morning when is under 0 degrees. But yes, I just have gave it som Bell add yesterday because we gonna drive 400km back and forward, then I’m gonna give it one more and every couple 1000km cure, and see if it helps. Thanks 😄

Let us know how you get on!

turn the car on and let the glow plug light go out, turn the key off - turn it back on. Wait for the glow plug light to go out, then start it

when did it last have a fuel filter ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hej guys, thanks for all answers, that with preheating 2 times does not help very much…, I tried this before posting. I made 2 tanks of cleansing ( DPF is cnanged before 20000 km). My next it will be visit to my friend who have pretty good diagnostic, just to see pattern of injectors spreading…, if it something abnormal…

• 2 months later...

Hello guys, that with some aditiv ( i use only Bell add), it helps, but still if it’s under 0 degress it have rough start. Anyway it is driving ok, every couple of thousands I give it also Shell power… That with preheating is ok, but it shorter life of heaters ( but on the another side they are not so expensive). Fuel filer I change regulary…
now just changed seal on left side of axle, begun to leak some oil and tommorow also cuff on the left inner side of axle. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links