Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight max wattage?

tomashen

Hello. I have auris hybrid post facelift 2015 HIR2 fishbowl projector headlamps.

I bought the bevinsee v355 model bulbs and passenger side started to turn off for 5min or so and come back briefly and repeat. 

This is probably because it was overheating so protection kicked in from its driver i assume?

Now, on its spec says 100watt. But its LED, so im not sure if it is 100watt continuos or high beam only or not at all.

My concern now is, what max wattage can i run and if aomeone knows these bevinsee kits, can shine some light on me? I found these in this forum someone had shared were working great.

Also, i see bevinsee sell another item for their headlights, a CANBUS driver? Do i need this or no?

When the passenger side bulb started going off and on, i had no dashboard warning lights at all... 

Power draw should not be a problem as far as the car is concerned (legality is a different matter). From what I gather they state power across the pair, so it would be 50W per side. Normal halogen bulbs are 55W dip and 60W high. 

Have you contacted Bevinsee? They say they offer lifetime technical support.

thanks! the box shows 100w so im confused 🙂

i contacted, they offer higher model ( v45 ) for some extra monies but i am too upset to pay naything

4 minutes ago, tomashen said:

i contacted, they offer higher model ( v45 ) for some extra monies but i am too upset to pay naything

Honestly, I'd stick with normal halogen bulbs. Cheap, tried, tested, and trusted. Aftermarket, LEDs have varying light output that tends to decrease once they get warm and fade across its lifespan). 

• Like 1

this i agree. However, on this auris 2015 post facelift, the regular halogen or even philips regular LED bulbs i tried so many, they all have extremely WEAK light output and can barely see much infront, to explain better, even the foglamps give out more visiblity for !Removed! sake .... its so infuriating... i asked local mechanic to check around for me if he can find some good bulbs from reputable brands.... 

i dont know how to put it into words just how ****** off and upset i am with this cars headlights 

100w will be the halogen equivalent at the absolute peak voltage and efficiency tested on the bench this doesn't allow for factors such as lifespan and temp changes, not true RMS what a 1/3 - 3/4 of the peak wattage

Turning on and off is the LED driver in overheat protection

IMHO get some decent uprated road legal halogens like Phillips or osram

• Like 1

I cant find anything to upgrade that gives decently normal light output visibility vise. I have tested 2 halogen and 1 LED philips (all road legal) , and for some reason they all shine ahead barely 5 footsteps in front. 

I have 2 close calls at night with those bulbs hitting a pedestrian on country road walking on side of road. Thats how little visiblity i am getting from the regular road legal stuff. 😕 

its HIR2 if you can suggest anything please do.

This bevinsee v35 gave great visiblity and didnt blind oncoming vehicles as they were levelled properly by local mechanic when installed.

No issues with Philips white vision bulbs (HIR2) I have had these in a few cars

look at the Philips X-tremeVision

• Like 1

The (now very obsolete) Vauxhall Ampera used the HIR2 bulbs as well.

Their owners were similarly unimpressed with the headlamp performance.

This thread from the SpeakEV forum gives some insight, and some suggestions:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/whos-fitted-ampera-led-headlight-bulb-upgrades.174447/?post_id=3361859&nested_view=1#post-3361859

The bulb-area inside an Ampera headlamp is a lot more cramped than an Auris, physically fitting these bulbs, for them, sometimes means leaving the rubber rear cap off the headlamp - just so you know!

6 minutes ago, Gerg said:

The (now very obselete) Vauxhall Ampera used the HIR2 bulbs as well.

Their owners were similarly unimpressed with the headlamp performance.

This thread from the SpeakEV forum gives some insight, any some suggestions:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/whos-fitted-ampera-led-headlight-bulb-upgrades.174447/?post_id=3361859&nested_view=1#post-3361859

The bulb-area inside an Ampera headlamp is a lot more cramped than an Auris, physically fitting these bulbs, for them, sometimes means leaving the rubber rear cap off the headlamp - just so you know!

Thanks but this post speaks of exactly the same stuff as this Bevinsee bulbs unfortunately.. not halogen or some philips/osram road legal lights from what i see

7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

No issues with Philips white vision bulbs (HIR2) I have had these in a few cars

Exactly same bulb i had before bevinsee was put in. No visiblity. and had close call hitting a pedestrian in country road at night because just how little can be seen with those lights and both high beam/low beam same visiblity too......

I have no knowledge of the Bevinsee LED bulb.  When it worked properly, did it do what you wanted?  Could you see properly?

Yes, visiblity was amazing, just like other cars that would have halogen bulb in reflector( for example my previous car )

distance was great, high beam was great, everything. 

I just got reply from bevinsee support that they will send me the V45 model free of charge as replacement. But now im looking on the website, the v45 model seems to be 120watt total ( so 60 watt each ) opposed to the V35 model being 100watt total(50 watt each). So im not sure if i will even bother using them im afraid to burn any wires or set car on fire.

I take it the headlights are clear and not hazy

I don't want to come across as rude, but have you had your eyes tested recently, as time goes on the vision starts to decline especially with night driving and the constant changes in light levels

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

I take it the headlights are clear and not hazy

I don't want to come across as rude, but have you had your eyes tested recently, as time goes on the vision starts to decline especially with night driving and the constant changes in light levels

No offence taken and not rude. Yes my eyes tested not long ago as i got new glass lenses too.  And my eyes are not bad , very small prescription. The headlamp are not hazy , they look like other auris hybrids i see in parking lots.... 

• Like 1

Do you have polarized lenses ? the problem with the bigger bulb brands is there are fakes on the market, you could try the Toyota optiwhite bulbs (90981-YZZDN)

I dont know if polarized. They really look like every other auris hybrid i see in parking lots( there are so many , so popular ). 

I think i was reading about optiwhites somewhere here and people said it was the same problem of low light output.

This headlamp does not make sense to me. How does this car sell in europe and pass quality and safety standards etc. With such garbage visibility in dark.....

1 hour ago, tomashen said:

This headlamp does not make sense to me. How does this car sell in europe and pass quality and safety standards etc. With such garbage visibility in dark.....

Agreed. There was a period between, say, 2005 to 2015, when they used these projector type headlights - small opening with a thick lens - that have an atrociously poor light output. It is a flaw in the design. The 2nd gen Aygo is a prime example. The first gen had normal big headlights and good output. The 2nd gen is terrible.

The best you can do is to install good halogen bulbs and, if you do a lot of driving along dark country roads, install some additional long distance lights, or use the front fog lights as supplement. 

I had the first gen aygo and light output was perfectly fine on those yes. 

Prior to this bevinsee bulbs thats what i had done, drive with fogs + regular headlight on but fogs dazzle oncoming poeople and i dont want to flick on off with the lights... one blew in about a month and i bet it was from flicking on off so much

Any bulb you use the light will be poor as the problem lays on the reflector types and the way it works , mechanically switching better deemed and full beams. Just stay stock bulbs and perhaps the only real upgrade is to use led headlights from later models, the whole new units replacement, not sure how or how much will cost. 

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Any bulb you use the light will be poor as the problem lays on the reflector types and the way it works , mechanically switching better deemed and full beams. Just stay stock bulbs and perhaps the only real upgrade is to use led headlights from later models, the whole new units replacement, not sure how or how much will cost. 

Thanks Tony. I dont think i have enough energy to change the whole headlamps... will cost too much.

The Bevinsee bulbs had amazing light output and great visibility and great distance too. The company agreed to send out the V45 model which aparently has better cooling according to them( i negotiated that they send it free as gesture of goodwill , i may or may not try put them in later i will see.... ) they aparently are 120watt kit ( 60watt each) so its concerning  to me. I know regular OEM bulbs can be up to 55watt no problem and up to 60watt max power. After some googling i did today.... 

What do you think about 60 watts each bulb? 

Do i need canbus even? i had no flickers...

3 minutes ago, tomashen said:

Thanks Tony. I dont think i have enough energy to change the whole headlamps... will cost too much.

The Bevinsee bulbs had amazing light output and great visibility and great distance too. The company agreed to send out the V45 model which aparently has better cooling according to them( i negotiated that they send it free as gesture of goodwill , i may or may not try put them in later i will see.... ) they aparently are 120watt kit ( 60watt each) so its concerning  to me. I know regular OEM bulbs can be up to 55watt no problem and up to 60watt max power. After some googling i did today.... 

What do you think about 60 watts each bulb? 

Do i need canbus even? i had no flickers...

Hi, 

I can’t really help about your dilemma and problems as I never did the change or worked on these gen 2 Auris. I can only confirm that they are all with very bad lights as I meet cars like that every night and I can see how bad they are. Only these top spec Auris 2017;-> has a good bright bluish lights, and they look genuine led’s. 

1 hour ago, APS said:

Agreed. There was a period between, say, 2005 to 2015, when they used these projector type headlights - small opening with a thick lens - that have an atrociously poor light output. It is a flaw in the design. The 2nd gen Aygo is a prime example. The first gen had normal big headlights and good output. The 2nd gen is terrible.

The best you can do is to install good halogen bulbs and, if you do a lot of driving along dark country roads, install some additional long distance lights, or use the front fog lights as supplement. 

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

I can’t really help about your dilemma and problems as I never did the change or worked on these gen 2 Auris. I can only confirm that they are all with very bad lights as I meet cars like that every night and I can see how bad they are. Only these top spec Auris 2017;-> has a good bright bluish lights, and they look genuine led’s. 

I wonder if its exactly what APS said above. "small opening and thick lens" hence the crappy output of the actual light

1 minute ago, tomashen said:

I wonder if its exactly what APS said above. "small opening and thick lens" hence the crappy output of the actual light

I think so, 

because what I understood is that the headlights uses one bulb single filament for both deeper and main beams, so it is mechanical switch between how the light is projected out. , stupid idea. The latest Toyota models entry trims like Yaris and Yaris cross has the same type lights and I can tell , these are as bad as any Auris with the same type lights.
Not good at all. Any bulbs you install in will have really small change at best. 
Thete ate some other posts here l some Auris gen 2 owners had used different bulbs and report positive change, but you may need to search the posts from the past to find these. 

Thanks again for all your input. So far, this Bevinsee( and from what i found online, similar aftermarket "china-ware" i will call it, is the only bulbs that help overcome the problem.... )

While mine both worked, it was all great, happy happy. But then, i noticed just the other night, passenger side bulb turned off.... After some time, im not sure maybe 5-10min, it would come back on for a min or so and again repeat cycle. So my only guess is it overheated and turned off to protect and cool off...... I took it out completely now only one bulb in the car to get home at night until saturday i can go to garage to have my old bulbs put back in. I am unable to put them in myself at all its such a horrible design.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links