Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight max wattage?

tomashen

15 minutes ago, tomashen said:

Thanks again for all your input. So far, this Bevinsee( and from what i found online, similar aftermarket "china-ware" i will call it, is the only bulbs that help overcome the problem.... )

I don't doubt that the LED bulbs help. The problem is reliability. They are more complex, with a controller and active cooling. Multiple points of failure and all made from components of unknown quality. Chances are definitely greater that you may be left in the dark, quite literally. 

If they are quick to replace then you can of course keep a set of spare bulbs in the car, should the LEDs suddenly die on you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, APS said:

I don't doubt that the LED bulbs help. The problem is reliability. They are more complex, with a controller and active cooling. Multiple points of failure and all made from components of unknown quality. Chances are definitely greater that you may be left in the dark, quite literally. 

If they are quick to replace then you can of course keep a set of spare bulbs in the car, should the LEDs suddenly die on you.

Yeah the v35 i bought are aluminum housed with plastic fan + controller. 

The new v45 model they offer to send me seem to be tougher build metal and also fan+controller , im not sure if the fan will be plastic or what on it. Controller box for both models is in aluminum housing which i assume helps cooling.

I dont care about reliability, if they last 6 months atleast im happy. What my concern is the wttage. Fair enough the v35 is 50watt each but the v45 is 60watt each from specs.... Can the car handle 60watt bulb on stock cables? 

13 minutes ago, tomashen said:

Yeah the v35 i bought are aluminum housed with plastic fan + controller. 

The new v45 model they offer to send me seem to be tougher build metal and also fan+controller , im not sure if the fan will be plastic or what on it. Controller box for both models is in aluminum housing which i assume helps cooling.

I dont care about reliability, if they last 6 months atleast im happy. What my concern is the wttage. Fair enough the v35 is 50watt each but the v45 is 60watt each from specs.... Can the car handle 60watt bulb on stock cables? 

Check you emails.  The V45 actual wattage is 55–60 watts and I have a pair that is almost 1.5 years old.  I bought another sets just in case I need it during my travelling in the wilderness or far from home.  But I still keep the original HIR2 just in case someone force me to change it back to the OEM original bulb. 

Always buy LED bulb that has been tested by Youtuber or channel with Lux meter.  The bevinsee V35 and V45 are brighter than V55 (too much heat).  I never tried V35 but what I heard V45 has better alignment and have fuller lights. It is just simply higher wattage than V35 without being overheated.  The chips, heatsinks, and driver are all metals with cooler pipe like in GPU or CPU cooler.  So far so good.   we need no CanBus adapter since Toyota is simple.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AisinW said:

Check you emails.  The V45 actual wattage is 55–60 watts and I have a pair that is almost 1.5 years old.  I bought another sets just in case I need it during my travelling in the wilderness or far from home.  But I still keep the original HIR2 just in case someone force me to change it back to the OEM original bulb. 

Hmm so they are safe for stock auris wiring then. What car is yours? I dont know how to find these specific informations for cars, mine is auris hybrid 2015 post facelift

10 hours ago, tomashen said:

Also, i see bevinsee sell another item for their headlights, a CANBUS driver? Do i need this or no?

I have not read the whole thread but I refitted my Merc with LEDs in the various fittings.  Some bulbs had CANBUS drivers but the Fogs, a real PITA to change, had some extra cabling,  I can't remember the detail but I think they were for CANBUS or ballast.  They worked initially and the started going off and coming on

This was over 8 years ago but it might be you need CANBUS drivers

10 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I have not read the whole thread but I refitted my Merc with LEDs in the various fittings.  Some bulbs had CANBUS drivers but the Fogs, a real PITA to change, had some extra cabling,  I can't remember the detail but I think they were for CANBUS or ballast.  They worked initially and the started going off and coming on

This was over 8 years ago but it might be you need CANBUS drivers

No, there is no single Toyota CANBUS driver like overcomplicated German cars or languages.  Even older Lexus can use LED without CANBUS.  Sometimes we just got simply defective sample and always buy a good LED and they are not cheap. But expensive LED does not mean good either like very dimm TÜV certified Philips and Osram.  

The list are: Bevinsee V35, V45, Apollo X7, GTR Ultra 2, LasFit Pro series, etc.  They are $40 to $200 with 1y to lifetime warranty.  In Europe, only Bevinsee is available and affordable. 

• Like 1

We can measure the brightness of the headlights from about 5–10 m from the car headlights and compare it with HIR2 yourself.  We can use the Lux meter app on our cellphone as a simple reference.  You will be shocked from the number.  Check the similarity of the light pattern and cutoff. They are virtually identical but the LED is white and have broader hot spots.  I think Bevinsee V45 has been updated a bit. The old cable is stiff pvc coated, the newer one is braided and more flexible and tougher. Build quality is about the same. 

Don't be misled. In the picture below, the LED is Low beam, the HIR2 is High Beam.  if the LED is at high beam, we get almost 2x more brightness. Besides that, the ISO is much higher in the HIR2 pictures.  You can see from the noise on HIR2 picture. 

bevinseev45Auris.thumb.jpg.2890010fed23380f654e0a0b1421c44a.jpghellaHIR2.thumb.jpg.6adbff3ece6b1e6ddd14f2ac7d17f4f0.jpg20230407_112543.thumb.jpg.f72d301d7ae57d87841c759314344ced.jpg

Loook at my v35 bulb. Look like toy 😂

V45 does look better durable and tougher.

The bevinsee support told me v45 is smaller is size and better cooling..... We wil see

PXL_20231209_090516460.jpg

The V35 LED chips is a bit too tall compared to the original HIR2 Tungsten coil. The V45 is exactly on spot. The driver is hotter but the LED is brighter. Just a sweet spot for LED. 

Bevinsee sell V55 for 70 watts, too much heat and at the end is dimmer than V35. 

Hmm yeah i saw the V45 has new version now also with braided cable or soemthing. 

I will see, they said they will send to me to replace this v35 problem. If they really send, i will maybe try put in the car with some garage help.

I am also thinking, with the cable being short, driver sits inside the headlamp housing behind the bulb itself, finally, with dust cover on. Where does the cooling fan for bb get air from? Or do i need to modify my dust cap? 

We should not worry too much about anything in the headlights. It is designed to be closed with the lid, just like the OEM LED. It is fully closed and is fine.  Remocing or make the lid not properly close will only cause troubles from contamination, salts from winter air, and bugs. Just like AC recirculation mode will never cause anyone to lack O2 inside the car,. The chemical potentials will allow O2 and CO2 to diffuse without issues.

Yes, opening it will make the cooling better, but it is not designed for that.  The conduction heat is enough to dissipate the heat by the whole assembly. 

Hmm understood. Thanks again! It just crossed my mind because when the bulb stopped working and i took it out very quickly after stopping pulling over side of road, it was pretty high temperature the driver and bulb itself. but thanks for all info and help ! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links