Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres Advice.

Hasanp

Back when i got my car in March I placed some cheap chinese tyres on there which affected the mpg on my Auris Excel hybrid. Its been 7 months and the mpg recently has gone down further from 56 to 46mpg. Now is it worth changing the tyre to the Bridgestone tundra t006. My current ones have E rating on fuel and D on wet grip as the Bridgestone has B/A. I do a lot of motorway driving 5 days a week around 20 miles each way. And i average 8000 miles a year. So i don't know what to do. The front tyres of these Chinese ones are around 5mm from 8mm already. 

I'll spare you the moral preaching - let's just say; don't buy cheap tyres. 😉

With the sort of milage you do, you won't recoup the cost of the new tyres any time soon. From a financial point of view you are better off just over inflating your Chinese tyres a bit and continue to use them up. Remember, your fuel economy is also affected very much by cold and wet weather.

From a safety and comfort point of view, you'll be glad to get some good branded tyres on there. 

• Like 2

The MPG will be affected by the weather as well, when you get below 10 degrees average consumption can be as much as 10mpg worse compared to summer. So it may not be totally down to the cheap tyres. There's other reasons to be wary of cheapo tyres of course 

• Like 3

The two replies pretty much explain all and very accurate. Cheap tyres are never a good choice, only if you are selling your car to unknown person or trade in. Just inflate your tyres but not more , just dead on recommended cold pressures as higher the pressure is the lower is the grip, and add that fact they are cheap you have pretty bad combination. 
Next time when you about to buy new set, replace all 4 tyres with good quality ones, I can recommend Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, Vector 4 seasons gen 3 or any Michelin, Continental, Vredestein, Yokohama, Hankook , Nexen, Kleber , stay clear off any unknown Chinese brand

Underinflation can also cause grip loss; I'd been finding it weirdly easy to break traction on acceleration lately which I originally put down to the lower temperatures making the rubber harder, but my cold psi were down from what I normally inflate them to in summer, and since adding that back the car's been back to its usual self and it's also brought the mpg up so bonus! :biggrin:  I didn't think that would make such a noticeable difference but there you go!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links