Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear bumper protector plate

Edgie70

Hi all , has anyone removed the stainless steel rear bumper scuff plate off the back of their hatchback?? If so how did you do it ?? The previous owner put one on and it's ok looking but I'd rather it removed , if it's a pain to do then I'll leave it , thanks 

My one's stuck on with a fairly strong adhesive strip, probably some sort of butyl tape - When I got rear-ended it deformed to the impact area rather than come off, so it's pretty strong stuff!

I imagine removal without permanently bending the strip is quite tricky and would require judicious use of a hair drier to warm it up and hopefully soften the adhesive, and some sort of soft plastic prying tool to avoid scratching the bumper.

It's generally considered better to do it in summer when it's already hotter, but I've heard some people find it easier in winter because the adhesive becomes brittle. However, I don't think our winters get cold enough for that!

I've heard of people using cheesewire or guitar strings or similar to 'saw' through the adhesive but that has a much higher risk of scratching the bumper.

I recently completely debadged my tailgate, "Toyota" "Avensis" "T-Spirit" and "D4D" seemed like overkill, I used a nylon guitar string and it didn't mark the paint, though I took it easy to begin with, I scraped off the residue with a nylon trim removal tool and IPA cleared the remnants, a quick polish & you'd never know they were ever there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

My one's stuck on with a fairly strong adhesive strip, probably some sort of butyl tape - When I got rear-ended it deformed to the impact area rather than come off, so it's pretty strong stuff!

I imagine removal without permanently bending the strip is quite tricky and would require judicious use of a hair drier to warm it up and hopefully soften the adhesive, and some sort of soft plastic prying tool to avoid scratching the bumper.

It's generally considered better to do it in summer when it's already hotter, but I've heard some people find it easier in winter because the adhesive becomes brittle. However, I don't think our winters get cold enough for that!

I've heard of people using cheesewire or guitar strings or similar to 'saw' through the adhesive but that has a much higher risk of scratching the bumper.

Thanks, I'm 50 50 if I like it on the car or not , I may end up getting it wrapped in black instead of the stainless finish , I know they're an expensive option for the customer but I don't think the stainless looks that great ...

• Like 1

Black on red will look between than stainless steel. To remove anything stick on you need heat, either as recommended summer time sunshine or heat gun or hairdryer. Current season not ideal for any of these things but if you have a large enough garage to work indoors you can give it a go. 👍

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Black on red will look between than stainless steel. To remove anything stick on you need heat, either as recommended summer time sunshine or heat gun or hairdryer. Current season not ideal for any of these things but if you have a large enough garage to work indoors you can give it a go. 👍

Yeah black does look better , wish the previous owner had done it in black , I'll wrap it in black first before going all the way , thanks everyone 

• Like 2

I’ve had black plastic scuff plates revived before and replaced with genuine Toyota stainless steel plate, on grey and silver cars, far superior finish but on red, black can look good so long as it’s good quality and the right shade. 

• Like 2

Here is an example, originally a black bumper protection strip replaced with stainless steel strip. Personally, I think the steel one looks better, Toyota genuine part and twice the price of the black plastic one

IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1355.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

2 minutes ago, simond64 said:

Here is an example, originally a black bumper protection strip replaced with stainless steel strip. Personally, I think the steel one looks better, Toyota genuine part and twice the price of the black plastic one

IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1355.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

On that silver it does , my cars red and it has the genuine stainless trim on , I just think it would be better in black or removed! I do carry a small drum kit , I do have a large towel I drape over the bumper as I did on my old car so for looks I'm going to get it wrapped until the day it comes off 

• Like 1

Mines got a stainless plate which covered by the tailgate when it's  closed. I think it's a Toyota  part. 

I'd  like a black protection  strip that goes over the bumper and shows when the  tailgate is  shut.  That way you get double protection. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links