Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 Trek TS mpg

cea

What mpg are people achieving? Mine, in all driving conditions, is nowhere near claimed, way worse than my previous 2x 2.0 Avensis diesels and, if I remember correctly, no better than my first 1.8 GS Avensis. I also find it much noisier than the previous cars. I'm definately starting to regret swapping my Avensis plus loads of money for the Trek.

My 2.0 TS Design average mpg (only as shown on dashboard display) is currently 56.7.  It has not been reset since car was new, mileage is now about 15k.  The average did creep up to just better than 57 in the Summer, but is easing now in colder weather.  Individual journeys - according to the app - average between 40ish and 70 mpg.  I get a full tank range (again according to display) of about 500 miles.

However - although I drive swiftly - I have learned to do a lot of "lift and coast" when I can.

• Like 2

Indeed, driving style and technique does affect fuel consumption as much as weather conditions, rain, wind, driving pattern, tyres pressure, etc

2.0 hybrids can achieve anything from mid 40’s to high 50’s , almost 60mpg in real world. Some owners have reached 1.8 efficiency which is a great result. If you enjoy brisk accelerations, driving on short town trips or constant high speed motorway drives ( German style) you won’t get very good numbers and also performance will not be the most satisfactory even with largest Lexus v6 or v8 hybrids become Toyota/Lexus hybrids were not built for high speeds , just for relaxed and efficient driving. 

• Like 3

A heavy right foot and a tendency to use the brake pedal is always going to cost you in fuel. There is no magic solution. The best way to save fuel is to drive in a relaxed style. Look ahead, anticipate. And do everything you can to keep your foot off that brake pedal!

• Like 4

I drive like petrol is £6.75 a gallon, which it is(showing my age using gallon cost here). Also I 'drive it like a cvt hybrid, not like I stole it'. So far this month, according to the app I have a score of 79 and an average of 30.1 mpg. 

If you're not driving far, or are crawling through traffic, you're probably being hit by the cold; Engines have terrible efficiency when they're cold, but hybrids have a similar problem to diesel, in that they're too efficient and don't generate as much waste heat.

One thing I learned to do with my old diesel is to NOT drive it gently, and I find the same thing with my Yaris hybrid - Slightly brisker acceleration helps the engine warm up faster which vastly improves its efficiency.

However, I have to choose when to do that, as if there's traffic ahead there's no point as I'll just have to brake and waste all that momentum, so better to roll up slower on the electrics.

One annoying thing is mine doesn't have a heated seat or steering wheel, so if I need to use the heater to not freeze my proverbials off, the engine runs nearly all the time which drags the mpg down something chronic; Worst case it drops to what a normal petrol ICE car would be.

We kinda suffer through winter, but hold out 'til summer and you'll see the improvement!

Also check your tyre pressures. Mine were only 4 psi down due to the cold, but that made a surprisingly big difference to the mpg!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Also check your tyre pressures. Mine were only 4 psi down due to the cold, but that made a surprisingly big difference to the mpg!

Like @Cyker said.

• Like 1

30mpg is impossible number from these cars. It’s either wrong calculation or similar. Best way to find out your real world fuel consumption is full tank, drive minimum 200 miles and refill again full. Do the maths and compare to the car on board readings. In my case it’s dead on accurate, with few exceptions where the numbers differ by 2-3mpg. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

30mpg is impossible number from these cars. It’s either wrong calculation or similar.

Agreed. That really is a very poor figure even for winter. In a conventional vehicle I'd suspect multiple ten minute trips (in which case I'd suggest walking instead - a lot cheaper and good exercise) but a hybrid is pretty good at low speed so something seems to be wrong here.

• Like 2

I switched from an Avensis 2.0 diesel to a Corolla 2.0 hybrid in March this year and have not yet found any scenario where the hybrid is less economical than the diesel. Depending on the weather and the journey type it often betters the diesel by anywhere from 5 to 20 MPG. 

The worst tank average consumption figure I've had showing in the dash display of the Corolla was 37.6 MPG and that was following a series of one-mile trips from cold around the village, then an hour sat idling in the driveway running a satnav update!

• Like 3

A mixture of either a 25 mile trip, no traffic me going to work and sticking to speed limits, or a 2.5 mile trip, wife going to work. Admittedly it was better last month but nowhere near advertised.

Screenshot_20231211-075741_MyToyota.jpg

Have you compared that to manual brim-to-brim MPG calculations? You should to at least rule out the possibility of an issue with the trip computer/app.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Have you compared that to manual brim-to-brim MPG calculations? You should to at least rule out the possibility of an issue with the trip computer/app.

I'm at the 'Accept it' stage. The car has depreciated massively in 10 weeks so looks like it's a keeper.

• Like 1

I’ve been getting around 48mpg on shorter local trips. A long motorway drive today saw mid 50s 

• Like 1

How are you calculating mpg?

I've ignored what cars tell me for years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Obsidian Estate said:

How are you calculating mpg?

I've ignored what cars tell me for years.

My Corolla usually overstates by a couple of mpg. It's consistent though so I've learnt to correct for it. Right now it's claiming 58.4 so it's probably more like 56.

There have been a couple of times when it was way off but that's a repeatable pattern as well. Drive a long way at a steady 60mph then potter around a bit at your destination. In the past that has resulted in the dashboard display claiming well over 70mpg when the actual result was mid 60s.

I check mine properly every time I fill anyway.

• Like 1

Absolutely. The car’s dashboard only shows accurate consumption figures when cars been used for very long journeys, time on is what matters. I do sometimes drive for hours and my numbers are dead on exact match with pump full to full calculations, currently at 52mpg. 

• Like 1

I fill up till the pump stops, then use fuelly to calculate and track mpg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links