Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Useful new camera features on new RAVS?

Nick72

I'm not sure which RAVs and which trim this applies to but I thought some of these camera features were useful. Particularly when at junctions where you can't see very well for a number of reasons including cars parked either side of a narrow junction. 

360 review looks useful for reversing up and general 'am I in the middle of the white lines' which I have a lot 9f OCD about 🤦.

Anyone know which variants and trims? Hoping this set of features are available in the UK and on the GR Sport PHEV but at the same time 8 wouldn't be surprised if the UK gets a bum deal. Although if the reversing cam is better than the VHS long play I currently have then that's a result.🤞😂

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure which 'new' features are being referred to here?

I use the PVM very regularly to ensure that I am parked "exactly in the middle of the box" - the existing system works very well for that.

There is a mode where the car 'automatically' decides whether or not you are parking the car, but I prefer to switch the PVM on and off as I want to - I might just be stopped to look at the map!

The interface is a little different but the features are pretty much the same ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

I'm not sure which RAVs and which trim this applies to but I thought some of these camera features were useful. Particularly when at junctions where you can't see very well for a number of reasons including cars parked either side of a narrow junction. 

360 review looks useful for reversing up and general 'am I in the middle of the white lines' which I have a lot 9f OCD about 🤦.

Anyone know which variants and trims? Hoping this set of features are available in the UK and on the GR Sport PHEV but at the same time 8 wouldn't be surprised if the UK gets a bum deal. Although if the reversing cam is better than the VHS long play I currently have then that's a result.🤞😂

I have this,  here in Greece this comes on the Prime Plus which does not equate to the UK models. It's absolutely mind boggling when you look through Toyota Europe and see how much the models alter between each EU country.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, philip42h said:

I use the PVM very regularly to ensure that I am parked "exactly in the middle of the box" - the existing system works very well for that.

There is a mode where the car 'automatically' decides whether or not you are parking the car, but I prefer to switch the PVM on and off as I want to - I might just be stopped to look at the map!

The interface is a little different but the features are pretty much the same ...

Thanks Philip. I don't have PVM despite picking the top spec PHEV in 2021 🤦. Wasn't an option.

How is the quality or resolution by comparison or can you not tell from the YouTube video?

Do you have the ability to see from the front camera in wide angle when at junctions? I think I'll find that hugely useful if it's on the GR Sport. Lots of roads we have to use where quite honestly it's an accident waiting to happen. That's with gingerly pulling out an inch at a time until I can see what's coming.

I like the pan view when driving forwards slowly. This will be useful for me when I'm driving the mountain trails to avoid going over the edge 😂🤞 or scraping the car on the rock faces. Do you have this also? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

I have this,  here in Greece this comes on the Prime Plus which does equate to the UK models. It's absolutely mind boggling when you look through Toyota Europe and see how much the models alter between each EU country.

That's one of the most disappointing things about Toyota. There aren't many but it's the biggest.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

I have this,  here in Greece this comes on the Prime Plus which does equate to the UK models. It's absolutely mind boggling when you look through Toyota Europe and see how much the models alter between each EU country.

It's up to the country's Toyota franchise to determine what specs they will bring to the country, but some of them (*cough*ToyotaUK*cough*) really do make questionable decisions (Why would you omit heated seats in the UK, yet prioritize bigger rims on an eco box in the country with some of the highest fuel costs??)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Thanks Philip. I don't have PVM despite picking the top spec PHEV in 2021 🤦. Wasn't an option.

How is the quality or resolution by comparison or can you not tell from the YouTube video?

Do you have the ability to see from the front camera in wide angle when at junctions? I think I'll find that hugely useful if it's on the GR Sport. Lots of roads we have to use where quite honestly it's an accident waiting to happen. That's with gingerly pulling out an inch at a time until I can see what's coming.

I like the pan view when driving forwards slowly. This will be useful for me when I'm driving the mountain trails to avoid going over the edge 😂🤞 or scraping the car on the rock faces. Do you have this also? 

So, PVM was a feature reserved to the Excel grade - and there wasn't a PHEV Excel ...

The quality of the existing system is perfectly fit for purpose; the newer system is claimed and certainly appears to be better ...

I suspect that I do have the facility "to see from the front camera in wide angle when at junctions". And, in theory that might be useful every time I leave home, drive down the lane and join the main road on the inside of a bend - i.e. I have very limited view in either direction! But I wouldn't dream of using the camera under these circumstances. A forward facing camera, however wide the view wouldn't solve the problem, and, to 'stay alive' I really need to be looking at the road (in both directions) and not looking at the multimedia screen!

Yes, I do have pan view when driving forwards (and backwards) - and this is very useful when I meet cars coming the other way on the lane! Banks and hedges rather than rock faces, but there's still a ravine to drop into if I were silly enough! 😉 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's up to the country's Toyota franchise to determine what specs they will bring to the country, but some of them (*cough*ToyotaUK*cough*) really do make questionable decisions (Why would you omit heated seats in the UK, yet prioritize bigger rims on an eco box in the country with some of the highest fuel costs??)

I'm not sure how the UK web site operates but in their questionable decisions they only appear to have 2 PHEV models where Greece has 5 models

• Like 1

PS. I do find the rear camera poor as it appears to pick up debris and/or water droplets very easily and this makes the PVM to the rear almost useless.      Also, what I suspect to be puddle lights under the door mirrors are very poor on illumination depth.

• Like 1

PVM available on 2020+ excel prius… view looks v similar to OP pics

clearimg the rear view is as easy as rubbing your finger over the lens front and back during winter “salt/dirt spray” NORMAL in uk conditions 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, philip42h said:

PVM is short  for...?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nick72 said:

My Danish MY 2023 "Style"-grade has this.

It's on automatically now. I prefer to switch it on when needed but haven't looked in the manual how to change it yet (can't seem to download the head unit manual...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

PVM is short  for...?

Panoramic View Monitor - i.e. the 360 degree camera view that is the subject of this topic ... 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nick72 said:

PVM is available in gr sport phev. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul john said:

PVM available on 2020+ excel prius… view looks v similar to OP pics

clearimg the rear view is as easy as rubbing your finger over the lens front and back during winter “salt/dirt spray” NORMAL in uk conditions 

Indeed and frequently gets dirty. But, nice if it was just clear all the time especially when we really need to use it. That moment you find yourself needing to reverse and which isn't always predictable.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GBgraham said:

PS. I do find the rear camera poor as it appears to pick up debris and/or water droplets very easily and this makes the PVM to the rear almost useless.      Also, what I suspect to be puddle lights under the door mirrors are very poor on illumination depth.

I didn't believe I had the puddle lights. It was only in pitch black conditions many months after acquisition of car I realised I had them. Very weak and poor compared to my past Merc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, philip42h said:

So, PVM was a feature reserved to the Excel grade - and there wasn't a PHEV Excel ...

The quality of the existing system is perfectly fit for purpose; the newer system is claimed and certainly appears to be better ...

I suspect that I do have the facility "to see from the front camera in wide angle when at junctions". And, in theory that might be useful every time I leave home, drive down the lane and join the main road on the inside of a bend - i.e. I have very limited view in either direction! But I wouldn't dream of using the camera under these circumstances. A forward facing camera, however wide the view wouldn't solve the problem, and, to 'stay alive' I really need to be looking at the road (in both directions) and not looking at the multimedia screen!

Yes, I do have pan view when driving forwards (and backwards) - and this is very useful when I meet cars coming the other way on the lane! Banks and hedges rather than rock faces, but there's still a ravine to drop into if I were silly enough! 😉 

That's all fair Philip!

🙂

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

Indeed and frequently gets dirty. But, nice if it was just clear all the time especially when we really need to use it. That moment you find yourself needing to reverse and which isn't always predictable.

Mmm, a real pain to have to get out and clean the optic before you reverse . . . . . not. I know I won't be doing this!                                                                          It's got to be where it's mounted because my CHR didn't have the same problem 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick72 said:

It just becomes a habit to clean front and back camera on every drive. The same as a visual check of the tyres.  But i understand the “jump in and go” approach. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Paul john said:

It just becomes a habit to clean front and back camera on every drive. The same as a visual check of the tyres.  But i understand the “jump in and go” approach. 

It's not so much that but rather if I'm on a long business trip and it starts off clean but by the time I'm reversing near my destination and it's so dirty I can't see through it then that's a bit of an issue. At that points it is a park up, get out, clean the sensor or just pretend it's 1998 again and I don't have a reversing cam. 😂

On one trip I did clean it 4 times altogether.

Whereas on the Merc it just used to pop out of its little housing only when required and got a clean automatically. I'd pay another 1k for that option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GBgraham said:

Mmm, a real pain to have to get out and clean the optic before you reverse . . . . . not. I know I won't be doing this!                                                                          It's got to be where it's mounted because my CHR didn't have the same problem 

I think we may be agreeing 🙃

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I didn't believe I had the puddle lights. It was only in pitch black conditions many months after acquisition of car I realised I had them. Very weak and poor compared to my past Merc.

Change the bulbs, although little point if the car is being changed. Mine are good now and work effectively.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Change the bulbs, although little point if the car is being changed. Mine are good now and work effectively.

Thanks Ernie. I did look into that and I think it was around the time you changed yours. I just never got around to it. I did put LEDs elsewhere in the car including the boot light, and the reversing light because that was very weak. Now it's nice and bright which is helpful for reversing up our steep drive which is slightly curved.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links