Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric Wing mirror working in opposite directions!

TheIQBeast

I have a 2011 IQ & owned it since 2012. 2 weeks ago, went off track & managed to break the passenger side electric mirror off. The official Toyota replacement is about £500, so I bought a 3rd party one on eBay. I took the car to an ex Toyota mechanic & he installed the new unit. It was a bit fiddly to fit & the mechanic said unlike Toyota parts, 3rd party parts are often slightly incompatible. Anyway this is the conundrum: Now the mirror units operate in opposite directions, ie if one is unfolded the other is folded & vice versa. He cannot make them open & close in unison. We tried every possible starting point but they always end up in opposite positions. Has anyone any idea if there is a way of resetting the mirrors in their correct positions? It’s like the motors are working in opposite directions. So if one is in the closed position, one is open. 
A big conundrum 

54 minutes ago, TheIQBeast said:

I have a 2011 IQ & owned it since 2012. 2 weeks ago, went off track & managed to break the passenger side electric mirror off. The official Toyota replacement is about £500, so I bought a 3rd party one on EBay. I took the car to an ex Toyota mechanic & he installed the new unit. It was a bit fiddly to fit & the mechanic said unlike Toyota parts, 3rd party parts are often slightly incompatible. Anyway this is the conundrum: Now the mirror units operate in opposite directions, ie if one is unfolded the other is folded & vice versa. He cannot make them open & close in unison. We tried every possible starting point but they always end up in opposite positions. Has anyone any idea if there is a way of resetting the mirrors in their correct positions? It’s like the motors are working in opposite directions. So if one is in the closed position, one is open. 
A big conundrum 

Well I would say that in fact they are working in the same direction whereas they should rather turn opposite to each other... so my simplest conclusion is that there should be a choice between driver and passenger side in eBay and unfortunately you purchased a driver side. 

Try reversing the fold motor wiring. This will probably involve either cutting wires unfortunately, or de-pinning and re-pinning the connectors the other way round, but should do the trick.

9 hours ago, Falomain said:

Well I would say that in fact they are working in the same direction whereas they should rather turn opposite to each other... so my simplest conclusion is that there should be a choice between driver and passenger side in eBay and unfortunately you purchased a driver side. 

How is that possible? It’s the whole unit, that attaches to the actual car as the wing mirror was snapped off at its pivoting point, so I had to replace the whole part that means removing the door card. It wouldn’t even fit on the car on the drivers side. As they are mirror images of each other. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheIQBeast said:

How is that possible? It’s the whole unit, that attaches to the actual car as the wing mirror was snapped off at its pivoting point, so I had to replace the whole part that means removing the door card. It wouldn’t even fit on the car on the drivers side. As they are mirror images of each other. 

Sorry, Jo, I interpreted you just replaced the motor/actuator. Yes, that's a weird behaviour, maybe it's related to connection polarity? Or possibly, as you suggested, with a 'reset' needed... (can't help you on this, either...)

13 hours ago, TheIQBeast said:

I have a 2011 IQ & owned it since 2012. 2 weeks ago, went off track & managed to break the passenger side electric mirror off. The official Toyota replacement is about £500, so I bought a 3rd party one on EBay. I took the car to an ex Toyota mechanic & he installed the new unit. It was a bit fiddly to fit & the mechanic said unlike Toyota parts, 3rd party parts are often slightly incompatible. Anyway this is the conundrum: Now the mirror units operate in opposite directions, ie if one is unfolded the other is folded & vice versa. He cannot make them open & close in unison. We tried every possible starting point but they always end up in opposite positions. Has anyone any idea if there is a way of resetting the mirrors in their correct positions? It’s like the motors are working in opposite directions. So if one is in the closed position, one is open. 
A big conundrum 

If all else fails, could you go to a breaker's yard and get one off a wrecked iQ?

Just a random thought, if they are working in different directions, say the new mirror is folded in and old mirror pointing out, if you disconnected the new mirror and pressed the mirror fold button so the old mirror folds in, then connected the new mirror back up, maybe they would work together. Maybe a crazy idear but worth a try. Steve

• Like 2

Is it possible to turn the motor (or some other component) up the other way, to reverse its direction?

On 12/12/2023 at 3:30 PM, STEVEJAMES said:

Just a random thought, if they are working in different directions, say the new mirror is folded in and old mirror pointing out, if you disconnected the new mirror and pressed the mirror fold button so the old mirror folds in, then connected the new mirror back up, maybe they would work together. Maybe a crazy idear but worth a try. Steve

I’ve got the same issue after fitting a 3rd party replacement; this doesn’t work… I decided just to live with it and roll my window down to pop the mirror out before every journey  😂

• Thanks 1

It's wired incorrectly the motor uses 2 wires, and it swaps polarity for in/out, it's typical of Chinese aftermarket junk

swap the wires over at the mirror - pins 10 and 11 on the schematic

IQ mirror diagram.pdf

Plug view - face on

IQmirrorfoldpinout.thumb.jpg.6086c735d2ee44a14ac7bffadc5ac372.jpg

socket view - face on

iqmirrorsocket.jpg.07f48dad55012fe1ca79ed34755df21f.jpg

Edited by flash22
Pic edited for clarity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for preparing the above flash22. I was planning on writing something similar this evening myself, but you beat me too it. (I'd imagine the 'box' connected in-line with the motor probably equates to limit switches and diodes or a similar scheme to stop the motor at the ends of its travel).

I'd say this is pretty conclusively a case of the aftermarket part being mis-wired - at least as far as the iQ is concerned, anyway.

1 hour ago, 74hct04 said:

Thanks for preparing the above flash22. I was planning on writing something similar this evening myself, but you beat me too it. (I'd imagine the 'box' connected in-line with the motor probably equates to limit switches and diodes or a similar scheme to stop the motor at the ends of its travel).

I'd say this is pretty conclusively a case of the aftermarket part being mis-wired - at least as far as the iQ is concerned, anyway.

It works the same as a window motor, all the logic is in the switch iirc the limit is done by current detection - the current rises as the motor stalls out

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 5:11 PM, flash22 said:

It's wired incorrectly the motor uses 2 wires, and it swaps polarity for in/out, it's typical of Chinese aftermarket junk

swap the wires over at the mirror - pins 10 and 11 on the schematic

IQ mirror diagram.pdf 51.96 kB · 9 downloads

Plug view - face on

IQmirrorfoldpinout.thumb.jpg.6086c735d2ee44a14ac7bffadc5ac372.jpg

socket view - face on

iqmirrorsocket.jpg.07f48dad55012fe1ca79ed34755df21f.jpg

Is this a case of cutting the wires and joining them before the connector? Or is there some better way or tool to remove the wire from the connector and reseat it? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256342654747?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_mcAnsF4RqW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=iy_wtQiHQfW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY  I've had success with these in the past but you just have to play around and see which one works. The ones I've changed before had 2 little wings holding the wire into the plastic plug and you just slide 2 of the tools down inside of the plastic plug to push the wings in and gently pull the wire out of the plug. Bit fiddly but it works. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links