Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blurry Reverse Camera

///MAZI

My reverse camera is blurry, its clean so I'm bot sure what the issue is.

Would this be covered under relax warranty??

Hi Mazi, no it would not be covered by the warranty.

Due to the age of your car being 2015 this would fall under wear and tear. If you are having no other problems with you screen then it could be a hardware issue or as @flash22 above water ingress.:smile:

• Like 1

How do I fix it?

Assuming your camera has suffered camera water ingress (very likely, which you should be able to see on the inside of the lens on close inspection), then:

I would use a hairdryer played on the camera for a few minutes. If left for a hour or so, the water droplets will return but there will be less of them.  Repeat this until there is no water left.  The water will likely be exiting the way it came in.

When you are happy there is no water left, what I did, was get a roll of clear Wilko greenhouse repair tape (I know, I know, Wilko?), and punch a 10mm hole in it. This is tricky to do. 

I then placed the tape, cut into a rectangular shape to fit three sides (including the lens side) of the camera, with the hole over the camera lens, (obviously).  A 10mm hole is just smaller the the lens of the camera and so bridges the lens/housing joint where I suspect the water comes in.

The displayed image will be fractionally softer around the edges of the image with the tape fitted, but this is a barely-noticeable trade-off.

The older of my 'fixes' is four years old now, and seems to be working well, but I never pressure wash the car, and barely run a regular hose over the camera area.

Alternatively, the camera, from Toyota, is £600 inc vat, and my local dealer quoted £150 to fit.  From personal experience on this car, the camera lasts about 5 years from new, and a genuine (warranty) replacement lasted almost exactly the same time.  (So, only about £3 per week.)

Interior and exterior boot trim has to come off to fit the camera, fwiw, as does the boot-fitted exterior lights - which will need a new foam gasket fitting to avoid water leaks!.

I improvised a 10mm hole cutter from a small, pneumatic, metal pipe coupling, which when part dismantled had a sharp circular edge.  You won't have one, I appreciate, and cutting small perfect circles with a knife is challenging!

HTH

• Like 1

I did read something about the use of pressure washers forcing water into the camera so best avoid those 

The weird thing is their is no water visable, I could get one from a scrappy, is the estate camera the same as the hatch?

The hatch and estate use different cameras, IIRC the estate has a different angle

Auris 05/2015 onwards

Hatch - 86790-02120

Estate - 86790-02130

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ///MAZI said:

That is for a Yaris, It's for my wife's 2016 Auris Hatch

Hi Mazi, I was looking at your car profile and forgot this is on the Auris forum. I put it down to age so you can't blame me.:laugh:

However still take a look on eBay they are available but it depends on your budget.

It has magically fixed itself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links