Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo blindspots

Ben565

Is it just me not being observant enough, or has anyone else found that the Aygo has big blindspots ?

I'm talking about the 2012 model here, but the later versions probably similar. 

Probably two or three times I've not seen other vehicles in the lane to the right of me. And I always look over my right shoulder now when changing lane or joining a motorway (probably good practise to do this anyway)

Sometimes nothing in the mirror, look over my shoulder and there's a massive van there !

Honestly, I don't think the blindspot was anything bigger than my previous 2005 Renault Clio.

Anyway, blindspot mirror does help.

I've also got a trick up my sleeve:

Say I want to change to the right lane, I usually pay attention to the car that's currently in that lane through the mirror, then move after the car in the mirror went pass.  For example, the car on my right is a blue Volkswagen.  After the Blue Volkswagen drove pass, assume that I did not see any car after that Blue Volkswagen, it would be safe for me to move over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not noticed that the Aygo is particularly bad at all.

As an old motorcycle rider I do turn my head most of the time. That quick glance over your shoulder in biker lingo is referred to as a 'lifesaver', for obvious reasons 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got the little blind spot mirrors on all our cars and with that and the normal mirror it picks up every that matters.  I very rarely turn my should, but I still look with the side of my eyes (if that makes sense).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe its just me then 😕 its never really been an issue with previous cars like the Avensis. Just seem to have noticed it more with this one. 

People walking across behind the car while I'm reversing I've not always picked up right away either . Look out rear window, nothing there. Check drivers wing mirror, nothing there, look out rear window again there's a person !...  its only happened twice in 28yrs of driving, but you only need things to go wrong once ☹ 

• Like 1

I'm not knocking it...belt and braces, look over your shoulder if it's needed 👍

• Thanks 1

Not long after I passed my test (way back when) I went on to pass the IAM advanced drving test too.  Maybe an idea to revisit that and brush up. 

I've been meaning to do that for YEARS....however, my mother in law has done it and she is a shocking driver !!😂

• Haha 4

Don't know about looking over your shoulder 

You need your eyes everywhere at the moment the way people are driving 

New trucks don't have mirrors they have cameras instead maybe that's the way to eliminate blind spots on cars

I'll tell you the REAL issue I have....it's the e scooters and the delivery food drivers on ebikes doing over 25mph and completely dressed in black !!! They come out of nowhere !!

I've not encountered e-scooters while driving, but having seen them whizzing about I know what you mean. 

I had to give way to someone on a e scooter coming round a roundabout in the dark, dressed totally in black with no lights...I was not happy.  If I hit that person, it would have been me that would have got it in the neck from the police, even though, they are totally illegal (private ones, not the ones that are being tested in various counties, who are just after some revenue income from the operators)....am I being obvious that I am anti e scooters 😂

• Like 1

If you find that bad, never get a Mk4 Yaris is all I'm saying :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Or a CHR.  I was in one a week or so ago (Uber).  I asked the driver how it was.  He said it's a Toyota, no problems, but I'd never get another CHR because of the crap view out of the rear window and big thick rear pillars !! 

• Like 1

When we first got both our Mk1 and Mk2 bugs, the thick C pillars were worse than their predecessor cars, but sign of the times I suppose. Having seen some horrendous crashes involving bugs even with lorries and peeps have walked away, worth having that extra safety structure and the other safety bits our bugs have over their aged predecessors. Agree about better mirrors, I've always added had a bigger rear view to lots of our cars if the stock one is too small. Although talking mirrors, compared to other cars we had I was impressed by size/view from the door mirrors especially our MK1, one many areas they thought about on these cheap no frills cars.

17 hours ago, 152bobby said:

....am I being obvious that I am anti e scooters 😂

They are a curse. I hate them. I particularly hate that very often they ride on the pavement, and I also hate that the rental ones are dumped everywhere, and always in the way. They are a scourge and the about the worst good idea that anybody had. No license required motorised scooters (c. 50cc), I hate them too. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links