Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A bit of a spend. It was decision time... does it stay or go

Mooly

Had a bit of a spend this last couple of weeks.

The Auris (the 1.33L oil burner) hasn't felt 'right', a harsh rough exhaust note both at speed and under acceleration and generally just feeling a bit sluggish and not very eager and responsive. A few months ago there was a similar situation (but it was very much worse back then) and it was suspected the manicat was blocked. After diagnosing and confirming that at the time it was cleaned as an experiment using a DPF cleaning machine... uncharted territory really but it was very much improved over what it had been before. 

That was a few months back so long story short, decision time and all that... well after much thought I opted to have a new genuine Toyota manicat and all associated gaskets replaced with new original parts. Also replaced were the upstream O2 sensor for which I already had the correct Denso fitment and a decent quality aftermarket sensor was fitted for the downstream one. Mileage is just over 101k. I suspected the sensors, while functional were also sluggish and most likely due to contamination.

There was more on the wish list, a full service with everything done except plugs. I had done more miles than expected and it needed an oil change before the normal MOT/service date around March. The plugs fitted are only a few weeks old and the latest Denso replacement for the original SC20 (they are a totally different number). Having previously fitted the Toyota recommended SC16 in the past and seeing the dreadful state they were in when only half way through their life I vowed never to even consider those again. I suspect those and E10 petrol have contributed to some of the problems with preignition and detonation. No such issues with the new plugs and E5.

It was also suggested we should try a totally different oil this time around. The last few years have been with 10w40 Castrol Ultraclean and tbh I've felt it has been very good however this time around Duckhams QXR 0W20 was suggested. That should be interesting. I reckon over the last 60k miles I've added around 35 to 40 litres for topping up (no wonder the cat suffered) but I've also found very recently that by not using engine braking (the overrun) I can absolutely slash the consumption. The 0W20 fill has only covered around 450 miles so far but the results look good, no obvious drop in level yet, well maybe just 0.5mm or so but its to close to call at this point. I also wondered if it would sound noisy with the thinner oil but no, it's absolutely brilliant.       

And there was more on the wish list... four new tyres were fitted as well. The Dunlop Blue Response Sports have covered over 50k and been very good but they were getting a bit thin. The independent I used offered to get similar but also suggested I consider Nexen which I have used on our old Corolla and been very impressed with. So I opted for the Nexen's (N Blue HD+ I think they are) which came in at £65 each. They ride beautifully and seem really soft and supple and grippy on the road and are very noticeably quieter in the cabin. Very good indeed so far.

And there was still more... I asked whether they could do do an aircon service and they said yes no problem, so that was done as well. Approx 450 grams new refrigerant for a full charge and 330 grams of old refrigerant were recovered. That's not bad imo, given that it will be around 60k mileage wise since it was last regassed several years ago. So about a third lost. Functionally it was still all fine but I'm glad I had it done.

So a bit of a spend at around £1200.00 all in but the car has been absolutely transformed and genuinely feels like new. Smooth, quiet and responsive. It was worth it I feel as the car itself is garaged and has seen only dry weather use. It drives like brand new now.   

Next up (today) was an MOT on the old Corolla (I've been following the Auris MOT thread currently running...). Well at nearly 21 yrs old it has yet another pass under its belt. Same advisories give or take as last time and the time before... and before... but nothing terminal yet. It is having a service early January as it is 18 months since the last. New MOT expires in mid January 2025 so no fresh MOT needed in 2024. It will be nearly quarter of a century old then. Wow! 

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing. It’s a very interesting story and I enjoy reading it. You did the right thing imo. Your Auris look great and all properly maintained, well deserved its attention. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Tony.

It still has a long way to go to catch yours up 🤣but I think it was worth taking a chance on and getting it all done.  

• Like 1

Always a nice read when the oil burner comes up 🙂

I'm thinking of ditching mine, with working from home 3+ yrs now, i only use it for long trips, 5-10 hours, and it's not fun on the highway. If only it had that 6th gear...

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links