Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 Corolla hatchback - rear bike rack

BrendanH

Hi, I’ve recently purchased a (UK) 2022 Corolla and hoping to be able to fit a bike rack to it. I don’t want the roof or tow bar style racks, they seem like too much hassle and/or storage is an issue, I think the boot mounted kind is the best option for me.

I haven’t owned a bike rack before so it’s a bit of an unknown for me. Having used Halfords check in store and been on a couple of brand websites, I’m struggling to find anything appropriate. Only need to be able to carry 2 bikes.

Can anyone help with a recommendation? Many thanks!

Assuming the hatch boot is made of a plastic-type material like the estate, you can’t mount anything on to it like a bike rack. I may be wrong. . . 

the handbook will probably say if the above is the case? 

OK thanks that's a shame though. The handbook says nothing at all about it.

I'll have to consider the other options, or just cramming the bike(s) into the boot / back seats!

Out of interest why did you discount roof bars with a roof mounted rack?

Reason why you are struggling to find anything appropriate is because they aren't popular, impractical and overall not very safe for both cars and bikes. You will likely damage the paint where these tiny hooks will be anchoring, and overall the whole system is held by nylon straps and they will stretch under sun, rain and load combined. Would definitely not recommend. No trusted brand will make any for this specific reason. I think Thule used to have them but probably to fill the market demand.

Only two options. Roof mounted and tow hitch mounted. Roof mounted is okay to be left on the car permanently, however it does generate wind noise and even little vibration. I talked the dealer into throwing the roof bars when I was buying the car because I already had a good quality Yakima carrier that holds the bike by the wheels and does not touch the frame which you don't want to do if you have carbon bikes. 

However I do think of getting a tow hitch and a hitch mounted carrier because I'd like to get rid of the wind noise and have clear view of the sky. Only cons are storage and massive cost of these systems. Also a lot easier to load bikes especially if they are e-bikes that are a lot heavier. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links