Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris cross 2WD electronic parking brake

Chas G

Does anybody know if the Yaris Cross 2WD electronic parking  brake acts on the front wheels, back wheels or all 4 wheels?

The EPB in all cars is basically a more complicated and less reliable replacement for the traditional handbrake, and like all handbrakes only operates on the rear wheels.

With these hybrids, putting it in P locks the front wheels with a metal pawl that prevents MG2 (And the wheels) from turning, and by default also activates the EPB to lock the rear wheels. (Although that can be disabled by holding up the EPB rocker when in P)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The EPB in all cars is basically a more complicated and less reliable replacement for the traditional handbrake, and like all handbrakes only operates on the rear wheels.

With these hybrids, putting it in P locks the front wheels with a metal pawl that prevents MG2 (And the wheels) from turning, and by default also activates the EPB to lock the rear wheels. (Although that can be disabled by holding up the EPB rocker when in P)

Thank you for your comprehensive answer 😀

• Like 2

And it won’t release unless you have your seatbelt on…

28 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

And it won’t release unless you have your seatbelt on…

Yes it will.

You are getting confused with the HOLD function which won’t ENGAGE unless you have your seatbelt fastened.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Yes it will.

You are getting confused with the HOLD function which won’t ENGAGE unless you have your seatbelt fastened.

As soon as I posted my reply it got me thinking, I’m sure I’ve reversed my car out without the epb  not releasing,with no seatbelt on yet the other morning I tried to reverse out and it wouldn’t release until I put my seatbelt on, I’m just wondering if anything has reset when the AA jump started my car..?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Less reliable......fact or fiction ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob66 said:

Debatable. The assumption by many is that there is more to go wrong, so mechanically less reliable. I expect someone has data on that, but I've never seen more than opinions.

In terms of holding the car in place they are more reliable if it has rear discs. Disc brakes require a lot more force to operate (which is why servo assistance became a thing) and not everyone is strong enough in the arm to do this, on a hill for example, or even if they are they may not think about it and just pull the lever up a bit. Result: rollaway (though probably not if the car has a P).

It's probably one reason a lot of smaller cars still use drums at the back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Primus1 said:

As soon as I posted my reply it got me thinking, I’m sure I’ve reversed my car out without the epb  not releasing,with no seatbelt on yet the other morning I tried to reverse out and it wouldn’t release until I put my seatbelt on, I’m just wondering if anything has reset when the AA jump started my car..?

I just got my car back after having some work done on it (I hit a deer - not recommended) and was rather surprised when I got it back and it wouldn't let me drive until I put my seat belt on. Then I was further surprised when the EPB didn't automatically apply when I stopped, put it into Park and turned the engine off.  I had to pull up the EPB switch for a few seconds to reverse this setting. The two seem to go together!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob66 said:

In the past, definitely fact; Nowadays, EPB reliability is much better, at least with Toyota. Whether it's up the the level of a handbrake is debatable, but they are still more likely to break if e.g. the pads are frozen to the discs, whereas the mechanical handbrake has no such issues. They are still an annoyance to deal with, as you often need special tools/computer to unwind them to e.g. service the brakes, and if they go wrong they are extremely expensive compared to just replacing a handbrake cable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob66 said:

Fiction.  He’s been at the booze again 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

In the past, definitely fact; Nowadays, EPB reliability is much better, at least with Toyota. Whether it's up the the level of a handbrake is debatable, but they are still more likely to break if e.g. the pads are frozen to the discs, whereas the mechanical handbrake has no such issues. They are still an annoyance to deal with, as you often need special tools/computer to unwind them to e.g. service the brakes, and if they go wrong they are extremely expensive compared to just replacing a handbrake cable.

And if the car is broken down  in the garage with a management system which wont boot up to ready mode, despite having a fully charged 12 volt Battery, noco Battery pack and ctek charger, moving it without wheel dollies would be  very difficult. 

I have been trying to catch the AA man who lives opposite me to ask him how he would recover the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Stop digging Cykes.  For as many complications you can think of for EPBs, there are just as many with manual ones.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chas G said:

And if the car is broken down  in the garage with a management system which wont boot up to ready mode, despite having a fully charged 12 volt battery, noco battery pack and ctek charger, moving it without wheel dollies would be  very difficult. 

I have been trying to catch the AA man who lives opposite me to ask him how he would recover the car.

Any decent mechanic would follow the approved instructions for working on the car and simply put the handbrake into manual mode and release it before disabling the car.  There are methods of working on modern cars and greater minds have already considered the requirements.  If something beyond planned maintenance causes the handbrake to be applied, it can soon be released.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, anchorman said:

Stop digging Cykes.  For as many complications you can think of for EPBs, there are just as many with manual ones.  

I wonder how many people check to see if the EPB is actually on before they get out of their car? Maybe be time for the eye tracking camera to step in and lock the door until eye/epb has been confirmed. 

3 hours ago, Impith said:

I just got my car back after having some work done on it (I hit a deer - not recommended) and was rather surprised when I got it back and it wouldn't let me drive until I put my seat belt on. Then I was further surprised when the EPB didn't automatically apply when I stopped, put it into Park and turned the engine off.  I had to pull up the EPB switch for a few seconds to reverse this setting. The two seem to go together!

That’s the repairers that have forgotten to reset it.  Junk in, junk out.  

20 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Any decent mechanic would follow the approved instructions for working on the car and simply put the handbrake into manual mode and release it before disabling the car.  There are methods of working on modern cars and greater minds have already considered the requirements.  If something beyond planned maintenance causes the handbrake to be applied, it can soon be released.  

Apologies, I didn't realise that you could release the handbrake with no 12 volt power.

Is it  something the AA engineer in his van could or would be prepared to do?

22 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Apologies, I didn't realise that you could release the handbrake with no 12 volt power.

No need to apologise Chas.  I don’t know who are mechanics or suitability qualified or not.  In answer to your question, it depends what he or she wanted to do.   If they wanted it on a lobster back, they’d more than likely just drag it but if they needed it to be moved on its wheels then again, there’s AA “engineers” and there’s folk in uniform that have been on a course.  A decent one wouldn’t think twice about either giving it a temporary power supply while they simply released it or jacking each wheel up and manually releasing each brake.  The biggest job is getting the wheel off if you know what you are doing.  Your big problems come with something inherently unreliable like a LR which is ever likely to lay an egg and then has unreliable electric interlocking on the transmission and when they sit down, you best hope your winch is good for two or three tons.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

The EPB in all cars is basically a more complicated and less reliable replacement for the traditional handbrake, and like all handbrakes only operates on the rear wheels 

Never say something as affirmative as ALL.

My SAABs had disc and drum brakes with the handbrake on the front wheels.   I later had 900s but can't remember if they were front wheels too 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, anchorman said:

No need to apologise Chas.  I don’t know who are mechanics or suitability qualified or not.  In answer to your question, it depends what he or she wanted to do.   If they wanted it on a lobster back, they’d more than likely just drag it but if they needed it to be moved on its wheels then again, there’s AA “engineers” and there’s folk in uniform that have been on a course.  A decent one wouldn’t think twice about either giving it a temporary power supply while they simply released it or jacking each wheel up and manually releasing each brake.  The biggest job is getting the wheel off if you know what you are doing.  Your big problems come with something inherently unreliable like a LR which is ever likely to lay an egg and then has unreliable electric interlocking on the transmission and when they sit down, you best hope your winch is good for two or three tons.  

My solution to minimise the risk is to put the car in the garage and charge it using the Ctek or in ready mode with the side door open. As soon as its charged, I park it back on the road. 

• Like 1

mk4 yaris uses motors on the rear calipers for the EPB early ones had a hex screw on the back to manually unwind the caliper, the newer ones dont have this, so you just unplug it it and put 12V to it to wind it in/out

It is a hell of a lot more reliable than Toyota's old design with 1 motor in a box with cables to the mechanical calipers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Chas G said:

You can release a manual handbrake without 12v, but with EPBs you *need* to have 12v and usually a diagnostic tool to put it in 'maintenance mode'. There may be some that have a way of unscrewing them unpowered but it would be a real PITA.

A lot of EPBs have some in-car sequence you can use to put them in maintenance mode without a diagnostic tool, but it's different for every car so 99% of mechanics would just use a diagnostic tool because no one got time for dat! :laugh: 

51 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Honestly, the only indisputable advantage of EPBs I can think of is they save space, because you just need a tiny switch instead of a big lever, but this also means it can't be used in an emergency - By the time you've fumbled for the switch and it's slowly screwed in the pads you'd probably already be crashing into something.

Other than that they are more complex and more expensive; Most of the 'advantages' I've seen listed for them are really just beneficial for the manufacturer and packaging, while passing the complexity and expense onto the buyer.

1 minute ago, Roy124 said:

Never say something as affirmative as ALL.

My SAABs had disc and drum brakes with the handbrake on the front wheels.   I later had 900s but can't remember if they were front wheels too 

I stand corrected! I think this is the first time I've heard of such a thing! Do you know why they did that? Were the front wheels drums or the rear wheels the steering wheels or something bizarre like that??

It must be pretty rare though - I don't think any vaguely modern car has front-handbraked wheels :eek: 

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

mk4 yaris uses motors on the rear calipers for the EPB early ones had a hex screw on the back to manually unwind the caliper, the newer ones dont have this, so you just unplug it it and put 12V to it to wind it in/out

It is a hell of a lot more reliable than Toyota's old design with 1 motor in a box with cables to the mechanical calipers

Yeah, and it's sealed better too so the motors are far less likely to fail just from e.g. driving through water.

That motor-driven cable one was really stupid - Literally the worst of both worlds! This directly actuated system is much more sensible.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Yes it will.

Oh no it won't. If I stop my car outside my garage and unstrap it will not DISENGAGE 

• Confused 1

this is the Tesla special tool, lol

epb-tool-s.jpg

edit, the Toyota tool is just a harness plugs into both calipers, add power

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha that's hilarious, professional bodging :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links