Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Living With a 1.2T Petrol Corolla

NeilAvensisT

My son has just bought a 2019 1.2T Petrol Corolla, 8k miles, 1 owner FMDSH, from a Toyota main dealer, after a lot of research. It is an option laden car. Other than the high pressure fuel pump issue (which has already, previously, been replaced by Toyota) these appear nice, reliable cars? Would be interested in other members views and experiences with them.

• Like 3

Hi Neil, I have a 1.2 T Auris which is a rebadged Corolla, mine is petrol but Auto. I have not had any problems with the engine in the 2 years of ownership it hasn't missed a beat.

It really can shift for a small engine and sports mode is a real treat. My biggest gripe if any is the headlights they are appalling. I'm not sure if your sons has the same problem but I am about change these.

IMHO I think you have a really good reliable car in this model and should just need the normal routine Toyota servicing.😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Neil, I have a 1.2 T Auris which is a rebadged Corolla, mine is petrol but Auto. I have not had any problems with the engine in the 2 years of ownership it hasn't missed a beat.

It really can shift for a small engine and sports mode is a real treat. My biggest gripe if any is the headlights they are appalling. I'm not sure if your sons has the same problem but I am about change these.

IMHO I think you have a really good reliable car in this model and should just need the normal routine Toyota servicing.😀

Thanks, yes, the torque is excellent for such a small engine. He hasn't mentioned about the headlight issue, but if they are anything like my Avensis, they will be poor! Other than that it seems all good so far, typical Toyota I guess. 

• Like 2

Tell you son to watch out for kerbs as this particular model has very low ground clearance.
Agree headlights (especially full beam) are not as good as other cars I have owned.
I have 16 inch wheels with a space saver already fitted on purchase.
Good low end torque, ability to creep forward without accelerator by slowly releasing clutch. In fact
engine automatically and slightly increases revs for you.
Must use all 6 gears correctly to get full benefit for good mileage and performance.
It's a fine nippy car.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From an Avensis point of view, I replaced the standard bulbs for Osram Nightbreakers. Whilst it doesn't transform the standard poor lighting, it does make them just about acceptable. Other members on the Avensis forum have complained that the bulbs don't last, but, speak as I find, mine have been in over a year with no issues.  Glad the opinions so far on my son's car are positive as I am a bit of a Toyota fan, have had a few over the years and it's good to hear this 1.2 is not a troublesome unit (like, for example, the Ford EcoBoost). None of the research I did beforehand gave me any worries, but it is good to get some real world feedback. Cheers. 

• Like 4

I have a 1.2t hatch 2019 reg , engine power is adequate and pretty good for a 1.2t , I'm pleased with it , only gripe I've got is the gear change isn't as smooth as I would like , first to second can be a bit notchy but it doesn't do that every time,it's probably my driving and I'm not used to it , only has it a month , apart from that I'm pleased with it 

• Like 5

On 1/9/2024 at 7:13 PM, Edgie70 said:

I have a 1.2t hatch 2019 reg , engine power is adequate and pretty good for a 1.2t , I'm pleased with it , only gripe I've got is the gear change isn't as smooth as I would like , first to second can be a bit notchy but it doesn't do that every time,it's probably my driving and I'm not used to it , only has it a month , apart from that I'm pleased with it 

Can’t say I have noticed that in mine bet have you tried to use it in Sports mode? Apparently this uses software to help gear changes plus from experience the fuel economy is no different regardless of the drive mode selected. The only problem is that, as with many things on the Toyota, the mode defaults to something else whenever you turn the car off but this is a general problem not specific to the engine type

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Swanthecat said:

Can’t say I have noticed that in mine bet have you tried to use it in Sports mode? Apparently this uses software to help gear changes plus from experience the fuel economy is no different regardless of the drive mode selected. The only problem is that, as with many things on the Toyota, the mode defaults to something else whenever you turn the car off but this is a general problem not specific to the engine type

I use it in standard mode 

Like I say , it doesn't do it all the time and going from 3rd to 2nd gear is fine , just the odd time going from 1st to 2nd it feels like an extra hump after it's gone past the neutral position ( obviously there's not an extra hump , just kinda feels like one ) it's going in to Toyota in May for a service so I'll ask them to check it , sure it's fine , like I say it's the odd time , doing a Google search a notchy box is common with Toyota .

• Like 1

Thanks all, it has given me some reassurance that all should be well with this. To be fair, as long as its serviced at Toyota (which it has and he will) it has a 10 year warranty, so that's a bonus.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:27 PM, Swanthecat said:

There's a guy on YouTube who's done a review of the 1.2t tourer , I commented about the gearbox , he agreed , I have read online it's a bit common so I'm not worried about it , fortunately it doesn't do it all the time 🥳

Great car, just wish it was a bit quieter (road noise).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 9:14 PM, Edgie70 said:

Como eu disse, ele não faz isso o tempo todo e passar da 3ª para a 2ª marcha é bom, apenas nas vezes em que vai da 1ª para a 2ª parece um obstáculo extra depois de passar da posição neutra (obviamente não há um corcunda extra, parece um) ele vai para a Toyota em maio para um serviço, então vou pedir a eles para verificarem, com certeza está tudo bem, como eu disse, é um momento estranho, fazendo uma pesquisa no Google, uma caixa entalhada é comum com a Toyota.

Exactly the same problem in the gear change! Engine is very silent and the response is fantastic 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pedro costa said:

Exactly the same problem in the gear change! Engine is very silent and the response is fantastic 👍

It's actually worse in colder weather, definitely better when the weather gets warmer, I have noticed this , it's the only thing that's a bit annoying for me , apart from that I love the car 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Eh up fellow 1.2t owners , can anyone here tell me how to use the Hold button correctly, I've looked it the manual and it's a bit confusing, I've got it so the Hold light is on green but when I stop the car still rolls , thought it would come on automatically, thanks 

Hmm, on the newer models you should only need to bring the car to a complete halt. On the older ones I think you need to stop the car then firmly press in the brake pedal for a few seconds for it to engage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edgie70 said:

Eh up fellow 1.2t owners , can anyone here tell me how to use the Hold button correctly, I've looked it the manual and it's a bit confusing, I've got it so the Hold light is on green but when I stop the car still rolls , thought it would come on automatically, thanks 

Hi Dave, have a look at this video. Hope this helps.😄

https://youtu.be/m1Cp-uw8sNY?si=XtLuTey0xWAW7wI0

14 hours ago, Edgie70 said:

This is not only a 1.2 issue as the brake hold function is on all models.

you need to select the hold function EVERY time you start the car since it defaults to off.

Once selected (green indicator light on dials), when you use the foot brake to stop the car - so long as you depress it enough, a yellow brake hold indicator symbol illuminates on the dial. This will hold the car for a couple of minutes but after some time (for example if stuck in traffic) it will ask you to engage the actual parking brake.

On 1/3/2024 at 8:22 AM, NeilAvensisT said:

My son has just bought a 2019 1.2T Petrol Corolla, 8k miles, 1 owner FMDSH, from a Toyota main dealer, after a lot of research. It is an option laden car. Other than the high pressure fuel pump issue (which has already, previously, been replaced by Toyota) these appear nice, reliable cars? Would be interested in other members views and experiences with them.

I have a 1.8 hybrid corolla which is fast enough for me but some 1.8 drivers are sat they not quick enough and to get the 2.0 which makes me wonder about a 1.2 performance

15 hours ago, Edgie70 said:

I assume it is the same on the Corolla.

When you switch hold on, a light comes up on the display, to hold you must braker to a complete stop then another red HOLD light comes on, you can start and stop as many times as you like, always remembering a complete stop before letting the brake off, it's great in traffic. Don't forget to switch it off again when finished holding

1 hour ago, Roker said:

I have a 1.8 hybrid corolla which is fast enough for me but some 1.8 drivers are sat they not quick enough and to get the 2.0 which makes me wonder about a 1.2 performance

1.2t performance is on paper quicker 0 to 60 than the 1.8 , I'm totally happy with mine apart from the common first to second gear bit of notchy change , I came from a 1.4t Punto 

2 hours ago, Roker said:

Some things to bear in mind there:

The 1.8 is purely Atkinson-cycle (Not sure about current ones, but deffo in the originals), which means it's quite thermally efficient but is relatively gutless; It 'feels' like a 1.3 or 1.5L normal engine, and doesn't feel like a 'real' 1.8. This isn't an issue so much on the hybrids as they can in-fill torque with the electric motor, and it can rev up high and fast to provide the ponies when asked to.

This is one of the biggest changes in the newer ones - The 'Dynamic Force' 1.5 and 2.0L engines can switch between Atkinson-cycle (Efficient) and the more normal Otto-cycle (Powerful) on demand, and is a big reason why the Mk4 Yaris feels so much more powerful than the Mk3 despite on paper both having the same sized engine. It makes them drink ungodly amounts of fuel when you're gunning them, but their ability to switch back and forth is what makes them so nice as normally they're still very efficient, but if you need to punch it, the power is right there.

The important thing with the 1.2T is it's turbocharged for torque, not power - Toyota put in a smaller turbocharger, which means it doesn't get the high horsepower figures that marketting like, but it's much more reliable and less likely to "EcoBoom", but more importantly it spins up really fast, so you get diesel-like torque which peaks very quickly low down the rev range, and stays there until you start to hit the high RPMs - That flat torque curve is what I look for in cars as it means they'll be really nice to drive at all speeds. This is a big plus for that engine, as even big non-turbo engines only develop that nice pull when you're much higher in the rev range, at which time you usually have to change gear!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roker said:

From being in the car with my son it is plenty powerful enough, really good torque for real world driving combined with excellent fuel economy, so a 'win win' I guess?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The 1.8 is purely Atkinson-cycle (Not sure about current ones, but deffo in the originals), which means it's quite thermally efficient but is relatively gutless; It 'feels' like a 1.3 or 1.5L normal engine, and doesn't feel like a 'real' 1.8. This isn't an issue so much on the hybrids as they can in-fill torque with the electric motor, and it can rev up high and fast to provide the ponies when asked to.

This is one of the biggest changes in the newer ones - The 'Dynamic Force' 1.5 and 2.0L engines can switch between Atkinson-cycle (Efficient) and the more normal Otto-cycle (Powerful) on demand, and is a big reason why the Mk4 Yaris feels so much more powerful than the Mk3 despite on paper both having the same sized engine. It makes them drink ungodly amounts of fuel when you're gunning them, but their ability to switch back and forth is what makes them so nice as normally they're still very efficient, but if you need to punch it, the power is right there.

The important thing with the 1.2T is it's turbocharged for torque, not power - Toyota put in a smaller turbocharger, which means it doesn't get the high horsepower figures that marketting like, but it's much more reliable and less likely to "EcoBoom", but more importantly it spins up really fast, so you get diesel-like torque which peaks very quickly low down the rev range, and stays there until you start to hit the high RPMs - That flat torque curve is what I look for in cars as it means they'll be really nice to drive at all speeds. This is a big plus for that engine, as even big non-turbo engines only develop that nice pull when you're much higher in the rev range, at which time you usually have to change gear!

Cyker,I have said it before your positive views give those of us with a 1.2T the pleasure of knowing we have brought a good car. I know many motoring mags give it a lacklustre review but I think it is unjustified.

I know I can rely on it to get me from A-B doesn't cost me a fortune and I can still tear it up with da boys from the hood😂

I will of course remember you should I win the lottery.👍

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

That makes sense, I'm not sure if my Corolla 1.8 Atkinson cycle switches to Otterman but it has still more power than my 1.8 Avensis that I got rid of 6 months ago

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links