Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Caring for the bodywork and windows of our Corolla

Pannett

I've always looked after my cars. Until the current car, I always paid for Autoglym Lifeshine. However, as our Corolla was bought in a bit of a rush, I decided to look into alternatives. A local valeter could have treated the car with a Lifeshine product, for over £300. So I decided to use Autoglym hydrophobic ceramic spray, which cost under £18 and took about an hour to apply. According to the reviews, it lasts about 3 months. I have used Autoglym products in the past, mainly because a big bag of products is provided as a part of the Lifeshine deal, but they are good. Today I washed the car, then dried it with a Megulars drying mop (highly recommended - it dries the whole car without needing to be wrung out). Autoglym Aqua Wax was applied on the wet surface after the big drops were removed with a squeegee, to give an extra shine. I always polish the external windows, excluding the windscreen, with Rain-X. (I used it once on the windscreen, but it smeared when the wipers operated in rain). I polish the windscreen and internal windows with Invisible Glass. And finally, I've treated the seats with Scotchgard. The car looks immaculate!

• Like 3

It'll only take you around 3½ hours to drive down to me on the south coast to give mine the same treatment.

Just think how proud you'll be when you see mine looking almost as good as yours ... !

😉

• Haha 5

I have mine washed by my dealer. Once a year.

😁

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I enjoy polishing the car and like the extra protection because, living on the East coast, salt spray and seagull poo are potential bodywork damagers. However, with modern paint finishes, how essential is the regular washing and polishing of a car?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pannett said:

I enjoy polishing the car and like the extra protection because, living on the East coast, salt spray and seagull poo are potential bodywork damagers. However, with modern paint finishes, how essential is the regular washing and polishing of a car?

There is a misconception that ‘modern paint finishes’ are an improvement on what was used in the past. Due to meddling in emission regulations, modern paints (not only automotive) are generally inferior to what was used in the past. The exception is in rust prevention where e-coat treatments in the factory have made premature rusting a thing of the past. Top coats will generally be subject to micro scratching with time - particularly Japanese cars who’s paints are often softer than certain car manufacturers and with this in mind you need to take most care to not aggressively damage your paint in the contact wash process. I never let the dealer wash my car since there is always the chance the valleter’s wash bucket has been used for multiple cars and hence picked up any amount of abrasive material. Invest in good pre-wash chemicals like a quality Snow Foam, non-aggressive pre-soaks for more soiled panels and, most importantly, for the contact wash use grit guards and preferably two buckets and/or several wash mits

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pannett said:

I sell my cars after three or four years (current Corolla will be an exception to that) and although I occasionally 'chuck a bucket of over it' I've never bothered with polish. Bodywork looks fine to me, no obvious scratches. As good as most other cars on the road, better than some.

If you like doing it (and being near the sea seems like an issue as well) then go for it but experience has taught me not to bother. The effect such as it is only lasts until the next time you take it out on the road and even retired I can think of better things to do than washing my car three or four times a week 🙂

I suppose it’s a case of everyone to themselves. I go through a similar regime to the OP because that’s how I want to look after my car. However, if you don’t want to go through all of that it is also fine. It’s your car and up to you how you look after it. 

• Like 1

I apply a couple of thin coats of this every 6 to 9 months, it outlasts almost everything, every week/fortnight it get's a rinse & a two bucket wash, for the first few months after applying the Collinite I don't even bother with a Snow Foam unless it's particularly grimy because the dirt just slides off, when I do Snow Foam I use Bilt Hamber.

For the windows I just use a cheapie glass cleaner.

Screenshot from 2024-01-06 12-04-40.png

• Like 2

Best colour car I ever owned - my previous car. An orange Honda Jazz. If you didn't wash it the colour just became slightly less 'in your face'. A great colour for hiding dirt 😁

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links