Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2019 unable to install update or go online

NIrfan

I recently purchased a used Rav4 2019 HEV with navigation, originally sold in Norway and fully maintained in Toyota dealership. 

I have installed MyT app, registered the car and proved ownership. However, when I tried to register Multimedia (Setup -> General -> Online -> Toyota Online), I keep getting the message "Toyota Online is not enabled. Would you like to enabled Toyota Online", but pressing "Enable" literally does nothing. If I try to open the eStore, it says Service provider unavaiable and to check internet connection. Now I have connected my phone via bluetooth and have connected Wifi to both my phone hotspot and also to my home network, no troubles there at all. Bottom line - I can't register the multimedia device/link to MyToyota app. 

I have asked local dealership to install latest updates and Apple Carplay, however, they came back saying that they tried and got an error, they do not know why and are waiting (for 2 months now) on some other experts to let them know why that may happen. 

Going through some other channels with a dealership in Germany, they came back saying "the microphone has to be replaced, as models older than September 2019 need microphone replaced for the latest update", however, I could not really find a confirmation of this anywhere online. 

Also I got into the diagnostics tool of the multimedia unit and found that MEU has no "Server" defined in the settings (it's just blank), so that might be a reason why it can't enable Toyota Online?

Any ideas what might be wrong with this multimedia unit? Or even where to search for an answer as this is really annoying. 

1 hour ago, NIrfan said:

I have asked local dealership to install latest updates and Apple Carplay, however, they came back saying that they tried and got an error, they do not know why and are waiting (for 2 months now) on some other experts to let them know why that may happen. 

Going through some other channels with a dealership in Germany, they came back saying "the microphone has to be replaced, as models older than September 2019 need microphone replaced for the latest update", however, I could not really find a confirmation of this anywhere online. 

Confirmation: 2019 models were delivered without AA/ACP support. An upgrade became available in 2020 for all but the base grade - the Icon in the UK. The multimedia system in this grade could NOT be upgraded to support AA/ACP. Quite how and why that relates to the microphone I can't say, but it did.

1 minute ago, philip42h said:

Confirmation: 2019 models were delivered without AA/ACP support. An upgrade became available in 2020 for all but the base grade - the Icon in the UK. The multimedia system in this grade could NOT be upgraded to support AA/ACP. Quite how and why that relates to the microphone I can't say, but it did.

Alright, thanks for that confirmation. For a bit more info on the exact vehicle, it's Rav4 HEV AWD Style package with Navigation included, so not the base model. 

1 hour ago, NIrfan said:

I have installed MyT app, registered the car and proved ownership. However, when I tried to register Multimedia (Setup -> General -> Online -> Toyota Online), I keep getting the message "Toyota Online is not enabled. Would you like to enabled Toyota Online", but pressing "Enable" literally does nothing. If I try to open the eStore, it says Service provider unavaiable and to check internet connection. Now I have connected my phone via bluetooth and have connected Wifi to both my phone hotspot and also to my home network, no troubles there at all. Bottom line - I can't register the multimedia device/link to MyToyota app. 

I'm not entirely sure that I have understood what you have said exactly, but I believe that you have:

• Created a My Toyota account
  • Connected the multimedia system to the Internet via WiFi

The next step is to log-in to your My Toyota account from the multimedia system via: Setup > Online > Toyota online > Existing account, and then enter username and password. You should only need to do this once and after that you should be able to enable Toyota Online services.

It is, of course, also possible that I have misunderstood what you have done already ... 😉 

6 hours ago, philip42h said:

I'm not entirely sure that I have understood what you have said exactly, but I believe that you have:

• Created a My Toyota account
  • Connected the multimedia system to the Internet via WiFi

The next step is to log-in to your My Toyota account from the multimedia system via: Setup > Online > Toyota online > Existing account, and then enter username and password. You should only need to do this once and after that you should be able to enable Toyota Online services.

It is, of course, also possible that I have misunderstood what you have done already ... 😉 

What I managed to complete successfully:
- Created a MyToyota account;
- Linked the car to MyToyota Account (with VIN number);
- Confirmed physical access (app asked me for the total km value of the car)
- Confirmed ownership on the mytoyota portal (asked me to enter the first part of the Version value from the documentation). 

However, when I want to log-in to my MyToyota account from the multimedia system via: Setup > Online > Toyota online > Existing account, tapping on "Existing account" shows the the message "Toyota Online is not enabled. Would you like to enabled Toyota Online", but pressing "Enable" literally does nothing (image attached). The car simply will not go online even though all the connections are established. 

I have found the Apple Carplay retrofit topic on the forum with all the steps discussed there, fairly confident in my know-how but not sure I will give it a try on my own risking the warranty (given the car was maintained solely in Toyota dealership by the past owner, they were polite to extend the warranty for me even if second-hand car). 

CleanShot2024-01-05at06_15_26.thumb.png.81adec7b79108ca3ded3c2db510da0f5.png

OK, so it's not behaving as it should ... 😉

The multimedia system will remember the owner's My Toyota account details. Since it is a used car, there is a chance that it could be remembering the previous owner's details. You could try Settings > General > Delete personal data to set it back to its default settings ... though that should have been done before the car was sold to you ...

Is the car still in Norway or has it been imported? I don't know at all but there may be some country specific configuration that is required. (The system works perfectly well if I take it abroad, but I have never tried to set things up while in a foreign country.)

Failing that, I'm out of guesses and would suggest falling back on the dealer ... 

8 minutes ago, philip42h said:

OK, so it's not behaving as it should ... 😉

The multimedia system will remember the owner's My Toyota account details. Since it is a used car, there is a chance that it could be remembering the previous owner's details. You could try Settings > General > Delete personal data to set it back to its default settings ... though that should have been done before the car was sold to you ...

Is the car still in Norway or has it been imported? I don't know at all but there may be some country specific configuration that is required. (The system works perfectly well if I take it abroad, but I have never tried to set things up while in a foreign country.)

Failing that, I'm out of guesses and would suggest falling back on the dealer ... 

Thanks for the swift replies. 
Yes, I have tried to Delete personal data twice, everything was reset but it made no difference. 
I have imoorted the car to BiH, no longer in Norway, but according to th dealership it should be all good and the same across the Europe. 

The dealership guy was honest about it that they haven’t seens issues like that before and are just waiting for their colleagues from Slovenia to let them know if they have any solution for it - the thing is we are waiting for that reply for almost two months 🙂

When cars arrive in the UK, they go via Burnaston, Derby for 'localisation' before being sent on to the dealer. I don't know what this localisation entails - the steering wheels are already on the correct side on the car! But ...

When the car / media system communicates with Toyota it does so via a server within that geography and, hopefully, all the owners personal and trip details remains within that geography. So, it is possible that the local server address is one of the things supplied in "Burnaston" ...

12 hours ago, NIrfan said:

Also I got into the diagnostics tool of the multimedia unit and found that MEU has no "Server" defined in the settings (it's just blank), so that might be a reason why it can't enable Toyota Online?

So that seems a plausible explanation ... but no more than a guess at best ...

Edit: of course, the dealers won't necessarily be aware of this - they only ever see correctly configured cars.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:54 AM, philip42h said:

When cars arrive in the UK, they go via Burnaston, Derby for 'localisation' before being sent on to the dealer. I don't know what this localisation entails - the steering wheels are already on the correct side on the car! But ...

When the car / media system communicates with Toyota it does so via a server within that geography and, hopefully, all the owners personal and trip details remains within that geography. So, it is possible that the local server address is one of the things supplied in "Burnaston" ...

So that seems a plausible explanation ... but no more than a guess at best ...

Edit: of course, the dealers won't necessarily be aware of this - they only ever see correctly configured cars.

Thanks again, Phillip! 

Here's a small update I can share for anyone that may stumble upon this thread in the future. 

- I got in touch with another dealer, a few hours away from where I live, they will try to update the MM this week. Inconvenient, as I live 200m from the dealer that tried at first and now have to drive a few hours, but hey, if they solve the problem it will be well worth it. 

- The problem Dealer #1 got is actually documented in the official Toyota guide for technicians, Error 001 (which conveniently floats around the internet and many people have done the update themselves without dealers). This error seems to have caused a lot of issues for a lot of users across the world, as I went through English, Spanish, German, Polish forums and so on. It seems to have been resolved both by users (doing updates themselves at their own risk) and dealerships/technicians. 

- This problem is also the reason why my car can't go online. Once the update gets stuck on that error, it leaves the multimedia unit in some in-between version state that lacks some of the config and features. The same issue has appeared in many Corollas, RAVs and Lexuses as well using the same unit. As far as I could see, the issue appears often on devices with DCU ID 17TDT2EU-DA01 and 17TDT2EU-DA02.

I will post more after the trip to the dealership this week, hoping for a successful outcome. 

• Like 2

Alright, visited dealership and after a total of 5.5 hours of updates and troubleshooting, they managed to install the update. According to them, they could not understand why it gets stuck, so they got in touch with Toyota's technical support for dealerships and technicians, ended up completely resetting/wiping the multimedia unit to the initial version of any software, and then they were able to update to the latest version. All works fine now, Apple Carplay is there, software is updated and Toyota Online seems to work again. 

A few details about the problem that may help someone else find the problem:

- Initial update stopped at ERROR 001 (that's the infamous red screen during the final step of the update);

- Today they were not getting that error, but actually it was just getting stuck during update process at "Vup Completed", it would freeze there for 90 minutes or so and reset. 

In other threads on this and other forums, I read that dealerships would claim the headunit is basically unusable at that point (Error 001 or getting stuck at Vup Completed), so here is a positive example that it can still be brought back to normal and updated, as long as the dealership is willing to put in some effort. 

All in all, thanks Phillip for the replies here and hopefully someone finds this experience useful. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2024 at 7:02 PM, NIrfan said:

ended up completely resetting/wiping the multimedia unit to the initial version of any software

Hi, having a somewhat similar issue with my 19 Rav4 and wondered if you could pry any more info out of the dealer on this process please?

I've successfully carried out the 17-19 upgrade but the MEU now stubbornly refuses to update past v1120, giving the error "there is insufficent free space. contact your dealer"

I've been through the TSBs, and this error is mentioned in the TSB for failed 17-19 upgrades. I've run the recommended intervention script which is meant to wipe the MEU but seems to have no real effect in this case? Taking the Dome fuse out likewise seems to make no difference.

My unit otherwise works fine, online connects OK etc. But at v1120 I've no possibility of only map updates it seems

any pointers appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

what is your DCU model and version? did you install the update correctly for your unit as some do not need all 3 updates and the kwi files have to be the correct ones

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

what is your DCU version? did you install the update correctly for your unit as some do not need all 3 updates and the kwi files have to be the correct ones

DCU has upgraded correctly to 17TDT2EU-DA31 and is updated to 1170. AA is working fine etc. Running the "update problems" intervention script confirms the 17-19 completed successfully also.

But attempting to update the MEU  (now 17TMT2EU-FA10) always fails regardless of whether the Harmon intervention script is first run. I can only presume there are temp/unzipped files lying around somewhere?

what version is your map ?

7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

what version is your map ?

2023v2, I bought a year's mapcare just in case I needed a reinstall

run usb1 again

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

run usb1 again

Insert from cold, or after startup?

after starting, with the new map did you do a straight update or did you change it

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

after starting, with the new map did you do a straight update or did you change it

Straight update, no options to choose regions etc. I think that only came about with the OTA map updates which I don't have access to, the whole reason for the MEU update really

i do believe you can configure the maps on My Toyota

25 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i do believe you can configure the maps on My Toyota

You can indeed. But at v1120 on the MEU I have no visible options for online maps.

So I just went out to the car to recheck my workings...

USB1 does nothing whatsoever (as you might expect if it's attempting a 17-19 and finds it's already at 19?)

USB2 is seen, the update is selectable, but a few seconds in gives this "insufficient free space" error

USB3 will happily run and reflash the DCU, reducing it's version to 1020 again

what size drives are you using

USB 1 - 8gb

USB 2 - 16gb

USB 3 - 32gb

I take it you have the full TSB?

Yep read all the TSBs. USB1 is tiny,it's just the intervention and it'll go on anything. 2 and 3 don't need to be that big either if you remove all the irrelevant .kwis. But I've various USB3 devices all under 32Gb to choose form

oh and I've tried running the MEU update immediately after putting the DCU back to 1020, same result. Everything points to the MEU being a pain, but in the service menu storage check etc all pass.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links