Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Life

McGeoch

I have a 2023 TS fitted with the stock Falken tyres (225/45R17 91W). Checking the front tyre tread depth yesterday, they’re down to 3mm after 17k miles.

I know we’re supposed to rotate the tyres between front and rear (garage didn’t do it at the 10k service and I forgot to mention it) but is that level of tyre wear to be expected?

I drive on a mixture of country A roads and motorways. 

What sort of mileage is everyone else getting from their tyres?

• Like 2

I also didn't rotate the front and rear tyres on my TS, the fronts are now on the approaching the legal limit and will need to be replaced soon at 23k miles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am with GoodYear EGP2 now

Almost 10k miles since I put them last August and they still look like brand new - haven't measured them though 

Stock were Continentals eco contact 6 205/55/16 - lasted only 26k miles 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's fairly normal wear for midrange tyres, probably can get another 3000 miles from it. 

• Thanks 1

I rotated mine at 10k and now all around 3mm after 17500 miles. General advice is to replace at 3mm rather than wait to 1.6mm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. It seems my tyre wear is reasonably normal and to be expected. 😀

4 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

I rotated mine at 10k and now all around 3mm after 17500 miles. General advice is to replace at 3mm rather than wait to 1.6mm

My TS is leased (with a maintenance contract) and the leasing company won’t authorise replacements until they’re at 2mm unfortunately. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, McGeoch said:

My TS is leased (with a maintenance contract) and the leasing company won’t authorise replacements until they’re at 2mm unfortunately. 

Hammer a nail in at 3 mm 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I replace mine if I'm going into winter and only have 4mm left. Or I used to. Now that I'm not commuting I might relax that rule as I don't think I'm doing enough mileage to lose 2mm over winter. I typically get around 30k out of my fronts and more out of the rears. I still have Falkens on my car.

It can vary across makes and vehicles though. My second Jazz was fitted with Dunlops and I had to change the fronts after 20k because they were down to 2mm. Crazy. The next pair which were a different make lasted longer.

But I do put quite a bit of stress on tyres. Although I don't drift round bends I do know what my car can do and as long as I have visibility and grip I won't slow more than I have to.

Once owned a Nissan Almera and it had amazing grip round bends. It had what they called multi-link rear suspension which apparently kept the rear wheels more vertical during cornering and I loved it. It came at a price though. The rear tyres actually wore out as quickly as the fronts which made replacing them a bit painful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Once owned a Nissan Almera and it had amazing grip round bends. It had what they called multi-link rear suspension which apparently kept the rear wheels more vertical during cornering and I loved it.

We had two Primeras from new, which had similar suspension - the best handling cars we had. 

Ford used the Primera as a benchmark when developing the Mondeo.

• Like 6

On my 20k service my fronts were around 3.6mm on 18'' wheels (Car now at 22k). Ill be changing them soon. Rears still over 5mm. I will most likely ask the garaged to move my Falken's to the front and have 2 new Goodyear or Michelins fitted to the rear. 

In another 5k or so miles ill have the fronts replaced so they all match again. 

Edited as I forgot to mention, most of my miles are on Motorways, Duel carriage ways. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is currently 20% off 4 tyres in Kwikfit.

• Like 2

If me I will rotate the oem tires front to rear and get replaced all 4 at the same time with something better, if you own your new Corolla cars. If lease or financing and return after then you can drive them with whatever tyres they have fitted. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chuffmonkey said:

Rears still over 5mm. I will most likely ask the garaged to move my Falken's to the front and have 2 new Goodyear or Michelins fitted to the rear. 

In another 5k or so miles ill have the fronts replaced so they all match again. 

Edited as I forgot to mention, most of my miles are on Motorways, Duel carriage ways. 

Think the 5+mm will have about 10k of life left when putting it on the front, then replace it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the longest tyre life I had was low-mid 30k from I think a set of Continental Premium Contact 2E's, and worst tyre life was 7k, ironically from a set of Continental Premium Contact 5's...  :laugh: 

I'm usually around low-mid 20's, but that's London roads for you - Speed humps, pot holes, broken road surfaces and just lots stop-start traffic all take their toll! :cry:

I think that's one downside of going to 15's, as I suspect the narrower tyre width means they wear down faster than the 17's would have, but OTOH the tyres are a lot cheaper than for the 17's!

• Like 3

My best tyre wear was from Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, I covered over 60k miles and they remained at around 4-4.5mm all around. 
I found the major factors for longevity were motorways drives, seasonal change ( I was swapping winter with summer accordingly) and these were only driven between April and November. And last but not least more regular pressure checks. 
The tires would have be good for another 20k miles easily if not even more but they had two punctures and started to develop dry rot cracks. 
That’s my tyre’s life experience. My current set is at around 40k miles, they are down to 4.5-5mm., slightly higher wear due to the all season use imo. 

• Like 3

The Yokahama tyres on my  Caterham 7 were rubbish, they kept smoking and leaving big black marks in the pub car park but at least they were better than the Michelin Pilots (Pileups) which were positively dangerous in the wet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got 21,000 miles out of a complete set of Falkens (17s). Now I’ve got Good years, and after 10,000 miles they have barely worn a couple of mm. expecting plenty more miles out of these 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

My best tyre wear was from Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, I covered over 60k miles and they remained at around 4-4.5mm all around.

That's really impressive.  Will be very happy if mine last 60k miles. 

The best I've done on a full set was 46k miles with gen 1 Micheline CrossClimate. They were very good tyres and could have lasted at least another 10k, but I decided to change them with Michelin Primacy 4. I am a bit if a tyre geek - read tyrereviews.com pretty much every day 😂. Probably need to find myself a hobby

The Primacy 4 didn't last as well as the CrossClimates. I sold the car with them, so didn't see them at the end of their life. 

Before those I had Good Year egp(1) which only lasted around 24k miles(all 4) on a Honda civic 13reg

• Like 2

Is anyone else reading this thread thinking I get nothing like those miles from my tyres?

When I bought my 1.8 TS in Feb 2023 I got the dealership to replace the fronts FOC, they had 2 or 3mm left. The car had done 13,000 miles, mostly around town. If I hadn't noticed I guess I could have got them to 15k if I pushed it, which I don't normally do. Didn't think anything of it. The Nexens (I didn't get a choice) they put of are still excellent after 7k since fitting. The rears are still fine (at 20k total).

My previous car, a Passatt Estate, used to get 16k or thereabouts from the fronts. The rears had never beenbreplaced when I part exchanged it for the Corolla at 35k.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't worry, I'm with you mate! :laugh: 

I think us urban drivers have a big disadvantage with tyre wear, so even getting past the 20k mark is an achievement!

• Like 1

Oh well, things are always improving.😉

On my old 1989 Citroen ax the rears lasted until I sold it with 80 odd thousand miles on it.

The fronts , the driven wheels,I had replaced in France with michelins of some sort on 36 thousand miles while visiting friends.

And returning 60-70 mpg at least.

I can only put this down to the lightness of the ax , around 750 kg IIRC, including aluminium diesel engine, and mostly motorway and autoroute use.

With cars getting bigger and heavier to improve the environment of course,it defies the laws of physics.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links