Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV... Got the Hybrid Drive has stopped message

Nick72

I haven't had this for a long while but had it at the petrol station yesterday. Went through the normal process to start. Foot on brake, press start, gear in park. Then gets the message on the driver's display. No power available. Stopped. Stuck. 

Like the best IT solution I switched it off then back on again and it's working. 

In total this has happened probably 4 or so times in nearly 2.5 years. Never got to the bottom of it.

• Like 1

Happened to me once. Ironically as I was leaving my dealer collecting an accessory. 

Popped in to ask and showed him it and he said "you shifted too fast and not in ready mode" didn't believe it and he said watch this. Jumped in switched engine off, put it on and shifted to drive and up it came. Told me to wait a few seconds and its never once came back.

Might be something completely different you have though ! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Happened to me once. Ironically as I was leaving my dealer collecting an accessory. 

Popped in to ask and showed him it and he said "you shifted too fast and not in ready mode" didn't believe it and he said watch this. Jumped in switched engine off, put it on and shifted to drive and up it came. Told me to wait a few seconds and its never once came back.

Might be something completely different you have though ! 

That may be it. Sounds like a design flaw!

• Like 2

READY mode does take awhile to come fully to life, I've been caught our myself and now start the start up process as soon as I'm in the car before I get seat belts connected etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nick72 said:

That may be it. Sounds like a design flaw!

Really? It takes a few moments for all of the system checks to complete before things can be used. It must take all of two or three seconds for the ready light to come on. How is it a design flaw that you cannot use the system until it is ready?

It's not a bug. It's a feature. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Happened to me once, it's defo a bug if you switch to D too quickly. 

• Like 2

I've never seen this error message - and it may be a PHEV pheature - but I've learned that I need to leave half a second or so between pressing the Start button and shifting from Park. If I try to hurry it just won't go - where "won't go" means that it offers resistance that I don't fancy trying to overcome through force ... 😉

• Like 4

I’ve seen the issue as described and it was when I was premature moving to D or R after starting. I now changed my habit and hit start then put my seat belt on before anything else just to let things start to avoid an early set-up

• Like 2

When I changed from the RAV4.4 hybrid to the 4.5 model one of the positive improvements was the car got to ready mode much quicker. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ernieb said:

READY mode does take awhile to come fully to life, I've been caught our myself and now start the start up process as soon as I'm in the car before I get seat belts connected etc.

That's a good solution Ernie. Must admit pressing start is the first thing I do.

• Like 2

It sounds like I'm too impatient or just a lightning fast old man. 😂

But since it very rarely happens my hyper fast reactions are probably not the cause. 🤷😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Interesting... didn't realize it was that important for it to actually *say* Ready before you shift!

Hitting Start is normally the first thing I do, but then I faff about a lot before I actually take it out of P so never come across it! Good to know if I ever need to do a quick getaway :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Like 2

I had a similar scenario with my wife’s Skoda DSG (non hybrid) a few years ago.  After applying the brake and turning the ignition key, nothing happened.  After a few more attempts I had to contact the AA.  The patrolman smiled when I explained the problem and he told me to repeat the process but press really hard on the brake pedal.  Hey presto, it started first time.  Patrolman had quite a few experiences with this problem on different makes of cars and he was of the opinion that it was connected to the ABS braking systems.  Needless to say when I reported it to the Skoda dealer at the next service interval they were none the wiser.  Incidentally, the same thing happened about 6 months later but the hard press on the brake pedal returned things to normal.

• Like 6

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links