Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Experience with 1.2L Turbo engine 8NR-FTS

Realtalk123

On 1/8/2024 at 6:48 PM, solero said:

Mines is 1.2T CVT 2016 mk2.

Only had mines 4 months, and enjoying it. Plenty of low end grunt and acceleration when needed. Mostly driven in eco mode. Love the cvt turbo combination, a well matched pair.

Bought mines 3rd hand with 24kmiles on the clock 8 yrs old, no documented service history! but mileage verified. Apparently was annually serviced, but no paper proof. Engine was spotless and in original unmodified condition. All reflected in a knockdown price.

Serviced it myself when i got it. Done a thousand miles and not lost a drop of oil. Averages low 50's mpg on motorway runs. 35+ around town. Start/stop is seamless, like the way it cuts out in neutral. 

4 cylinder direct injection chain driven turbo engines are a rarity, bonus with the turbo being liquid cooled. Should help cool it down even when hot as turbo is not pumped but thermodynamically cycled.

Nissans 1.2 dig-t seem to have chain wear issues.

I wonder if miller cycle will help reduce carbon build up on intake valves?

Very pleased with it to date, wouldn't go back to a manual after driving this car. Engine is very quiet in side cabin, and a nice comfortable drive with rear trailing arm suspension. 

Overall impressed with the engine package.

Correction: turbo is coolant pumped in parallel with intercooler, with a thermodynamic flow when switched off.

8 hours ago, solero said:

Full technical breakdown in detail  on the 8NR-FTS engine can be found here:
https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_nr-engine_eng.htm

Note the TSB's:

• For 8NR-FTS engine just list a few TSBs that contain recognized defects:
·EG-00014T-TME "8NR-FTS Turbo Overboost DTC P023400"
·EG-00105T-TME "Rattle noise from exhaust (front) due to broken heat insulator bracket"
·EG-00113T-TME "8NR-FTS Noise from the vacuum regulating valve"
·EG-00219T-TME "8NR-FTS Engine Coolant Flow Noise"
·EG-00094T-TME "8NR-FTS Cylinder Misfire DTC P030100, P030200, P030300, P030400, P030027, P030085" (ignition coils replacement is prescribed)

If the measures taken are ineffective, it is recommended to clean the intake valves from carbon deposits.

• Recall #4961 (27.05.2021) for 2019-2021 JDM vehicles with 8NR-FTS engine (Corolla, C-HR). The welded part of the high-pressure fuel pump may be cracked due to low resistance against the pressure which cause fuel leakage. Prescription - replace the HP fuel pump.

Thanks for the info. This reminded me of something that I have noticed on my own car a few times. Sometimes, after switching off the engine I can hear a "liquid flowing sound" that I belive is coming from the engine bay. I have never worried about it, because I assumed that some liquid must still be circulating (maybe to cool the engine and turbo), which I thought was a good thing. Has anyone ever noticed that sound as well? 

Also, to be honest, most of the defects listed are rather minor issues (except for the high pressure fuel pump rupture, but this seems to affect only JDM cars, so we should be fine 😂

Not heard the coolant noise myself. I do hear a whir noise after a minute or two of switching engine off. But i think thats a vent closing in the climate control.

If i get a chance I will digout the TSB to see what the fix for coolant noise is.

Agree, nothing major listed.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links