Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Voice navigation problems

Art Vandalay82

Hi!

I own a brand new Corolla TS car. I have a few issues with this new entertainment sytem.. First of all, I must say I am a bit dissapointed, my system doesn't allow a "Google" conversation like tell me joke etc... Nothing. I saw on some US YT channels on same system they had all that integrated..Not sure why is that...

Now, the voice navigation. How on earth can I convince my car that WORK is a place I named and not a place in England? If I tell him go to work he just doesn't get it..He sure does know where HOME is, which can be applied, and sure is not the same spot as yours 🙂

Any thoutghs on that?

Thanx

Is the suggested place York- or something more cryptic?   Why not cal, if something else - SweatShop, PlayGround or Sanatorium?

I wish I didn't know how to get to my job as well.

• Haha 3

Well... Thanx for suggestion.. Nope. None worked. My first thought was Hell 🙂 So Hey Toyota, go to Hell 🙂

I relly tried everything, none seemed to work. Can please someone else try the same and if you are kind enough share the positive results with me.

Voice control doesn't seem to recognise named places at all despite what is says in the manual...

A.

2 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

I wish I didn't know how to get to my job as well.

Maybe thats the point 🙂 So Toyotas can take us on a holiday trip instead of getting to work...

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay82 said:

my system doesn't allow a "Google" conversation like tell me joke etc... Nothing. I saw on some US YT channels on same system they had all that integrated..Not sure why is that...

That'll be Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

Connect your phone using the lead and you'll be able to do that too.

Didn't your dealer walk you through at the handover?

The How-to is in the manual but essentially you connect your phone and under settings, bluetooth devices you select your phone and make sure you’ve ticked Android Auto (or Carplay if you have an Apple device).

Once you're connected your phone essentially takes over your infotainment screen, so you can play Spotify, use whatever map software you've installed on your phone, or even ask Google to tell you a joke. (Long press the voice button on your steering wheel wait for a beep and say "tell me a joke")

FWIW I tend to use the in-car SatNav as it's by TomTom and really well integrated with the dashboard display as well as the centre screen.

"Drive to work" won't work using the in-car system because TomTom doesn't know where you work. It knows "home" because you can define home as part of the settings.

I can say "Hey Toyota, let's go home" or "Hey Toyota, drive to Buckingham Palace" etc and it works fine.

"Drive to work" will work with Android Auto as you can define your workplace in Google, so Waze, or Google maps will navigate to work for you

Hey!

You are right and again at the same time very wrong. The one main reason to use navigation always at all cost is that (in theory) for this model (FL), the car computer will rearrange the Battery usage regarding the route you are headed. He d be learning and saving on fuel. Otherwise I dont see the pros of Toyota nav.

On the other hand we all do know how Google works and yes you are correct all that is possible...yet check out this video;

I hope I am not violating any forum rules..

Thanx

I am pretty sure I know much, much more than the average salesperson who never used a Corolla and gotten in depth experience with the car itself. Also when I had a problem only YT and this forum saved me. None of the Toyota sales did...

🤔🤔

I only watched 2 minutes of the vid, I'll have a play when I'm next in the car.

I don't really need my car to tell me what the weather is doing as I generally look outside which is faster than having the car tell me, but I'll try it out.

I could say "Hey Toyota, take me to Starbucks" and that works fine.

I also say "Hey Toyota I'm cold" and it'll increase the temperature.

Or "Hey Toyota it's too hot" and it'll lower the cabin temperature.

I can say "Hey Toyota turn up the volume" and my music gets louder.

So some of the functionality in that video is available, maybe it's dependant on enabling WiFi and hotspotting to your phone so it can pull data such as the weather...

8 minutes ago, Art Vandalay82 said:

I am pretty sure I know much, much more

And yet you're here, asking questions anyway ... 

😝

Thats when you kick in 😁😁

I agree most of the stuff is useless... It is strange, admit it, same system yet I havent got the same functions..

What I would really need is what Im asking..

When I go to car in the morning just say Take me to work and see live traffic , bedt route and at the same time car would know and calculate my Battery usage...

I really dont like cliking if I have (or as they say) the voice navigation features...

A.

3 hours ago, Art Vandalay82 said:

Well... Thanx for suggestion.. Nope. None worked. My first thought was Hell 🙂 So Hey Toyota, go to Hell 🙂

Voice control doesn't seem to recognise named places at all despite what is says in the manual...

Perhaps it's the way you tell them.

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay82 said:

When I go to car in the morning just say Take me to work and see live traffic , bedt route and at the same time car would know and calculate my battery usage...

Use Android Auto then.

It'll do most of that if you use Waze or Google maps.

Not sure why you're interested in Battery usage though, Corolla don't do a full electric Corolla do they?

On the Hybrid you can easily see your EV / ICE ratio, on the display or on the app if you're interested.

Oh, sorry, of course you already know that! 😜

Are you not familiar with the tech behind the nav???

Please, carefully read offical Toyota statment:

Hybrid Battery charging and discharging can be controlled according to the driving situation,
with the system gathering and storing data as the car is driven, to help gain better fuel
efficiency.
The system registers and stores information on points in regular journeys where the driver
always decelerates. As the car approaches a point where data has been obtained, it will
recommend the driver comes off the accelerator (shown in the eco-driving guidance in the
multi-information display) and then increases engine braking to maximise energy
regeneration.
Predictive state-of-charge control predicts downhill sections and traffic congestion on a route
planned using the navigation system. This allows for more efficiency Battery charge
management, for example optimising use of Battery charge prior to a long downhill section
where more energy can be captured. Using real-time traffic information, the system can also
help maintain a certain level of battery charge prior to reaching any congestion. This reduces
the need for the engine to be started to charge the battery when caught up in tailbacks.

https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/pdf/230215M-Corolla-Commercial-Press-Pack.pdf

lol

Fascinating, I'm sure.

I'd rather just drive the car. I don't need the car to tell me how, or where to drive it.

As mine's a company car I pay the same rate for my mileage whether I drive it super-efficiently or like a 90 year old nun.

100 miles at 60mpg still costs me the same in fuel as 100 miles driven at 35mpg.

Anyway, even for somebody that does need or want to drive super efficiently it seems quite unlikely any automated route-planning would make anywhere near enough of a difference to fuel economy or Battery efficiency to warrant driving anything other than the shortest route, even if the SatNav could offer a better, more efficient route.

I'm getting around 61mpg without even trying and it's not even summer.

I don't think any SatNav will help improve on that greatly.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay82 said:

Are you not familiar with the tech behind the nav???

Please, carefully read offical Toyota statment:

Hybrid battery charging and discharging can be controlled according to the driving situation,
with the system gathering and storing data as the car is driven, to help gain better fuel
efficiency.
The system registers and stores information on points in regular journeys where the driver
always decelerates. As the car approaches a point where data has been obtained, it will
recommend the driver comes off the accelerator (shown in the eco-driving guidance in the
multi-information display) and then increases engine braking to maximise energy
regeneration.
Predictive state-of-charge control predicts downhill sections and traffic congestion on a route
planned using the navigation system. This allows for more efficiency battery charge
management, for example optimising use of battery charge prior to a long downhill section
where more energy can be captured. Using real-time traffic information, the system can also
help maintain a certain level of battery charge prior to reaching any congestion. This reduces
the need for the engine to be started to charge the battery when caught up in tailbacks.

https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/pdf/230215M-Corolla-Commercial-Press-Pack.pdf

This is for the Corolla commercial, not the hatchback - seems its used on Prius and other markets/platforms like Lexus, but no mention that I could see for HB/TS Corolla UK

Did you check the link I posted?

8 minutes ago, Art Vandalay82 said:

Did you check the link I posted?

Yes, hence my post that it relates to the Corolla commercial (car derived van) which is a different vehicle.

The corolla HB/TS press pack is https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/pdf/230620M-Corolla-Press-Pack.pdf

Edit: I see your profile is non UK - the link you posted for the Corolla commercial was from the UK media site.

Possible that your country's model does have the predictive tech, but seemingly UK model does not (at least not highlighted)

17 hours ago, Art Vandalay82 said:

How on earth can I convince my car that WORK is a place I named and not a place in England?

Set work as a favourite in your list of favourites, edit it and name it "Work"

Now say, "Hey Toyota, drive to favourite work"

It feels a bit clunky to say, but it works.

You can get the SatNav to navigate to anywhere you've named in your favourites list if you say "drive to favourite ... " first.

Other commands that work:

"Hey Toyota, my passenger is cold"

"Hey Toyota, change to DAB"

"Hey Toyota, tune into BBC Radio 2 on FM"

It's not a bad system actually, it can't tell me a joke or let me know about the weather but the things it can do are quite handy.

👋👋👋

THANX!

That actually worked. Would have saved me tons of nerves if they got the manual more precise...

Otherwise maybe Asian peoples have this logic and we don't 🙂

A.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links