Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Soundproofing

cea

I recently added noise deadening pads to my 23 TS in the wheel arches, doors, boot and under bonnet.  Definitely an improvement probably 20% reduction in noise going by ear not measured.  Other side benefits are better sounding sound system, improves door shut clunk and reduces outside noise from other cars.  Changed tyres to Mitchelin Primacy 4+ and again a similar improvement but not quite as much as I hoped for.  Finally I need to do the floor where I think a lot of road noise leaks into the cabin.  Rather than removing seats and carpets I am going to apply under the car beneath the spray trays which are a lot easier to remove than carpets.  I think then it will be as good as I can achieve and perfectly good for me for a car in this price range.  

• Like 2

On 4/26/2024 at 6:55 PM, JasonM said:

I recently added noise deadening pads to my 23 TS in the wheel arches, doors, boot and under bonnet.  Definitely an improvement probably 20% reduction in noise going by ear not measured.  Other side benefits are better sounding sound system, improves door shut clunk and reduces outside noise from other cars.  Changed tyres to Mitchelin Primacy 4+ and again a similar improvement but not quite as much as I hoped for.  Finally I need to do the floor where I think a lot of road noise leaks into the cabin.  Rather than removing seats and carpets I am going to apply under the car beneath the spray trays which are a lot easier to remove than carpets.  I think then it will be as good as I can achieve and perfectly good for me for a car in this price range.  

What sound deadening pads did you use for the wheel archers? Is it weather proof? 
I did think of applying sound deadening to the doors but a bit concerned about removing the door cards, as I worry they will squeak. 

On 4/24/2024 at 7:41 PM, cea said:

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, brilliant. A few questions if you don't mind.  Did the £425 include the fitting and what sort of tyres (I have 18" Falkens which are reputed  to be noisy) have you got? I downloaded a dB measuring app and at 70 mph it reads low 70s, undulating, not half loud especially compared to my 2017 Avensis diesel estate which I had previously.

Thanks

Carl 

I changed the Falkens to Michelins and noticed a big improvement 3 db or so on rough roads at 70 mph. No difference really on the smooth stuff but the ‘step’ is a lot less jarring. I wouldn’t bother with extra soundproofing but it’s up to the individual. 

The noise is generally about the same in all similar cars with big wheels in my experience. 

• Like 3

Lots of excellent replies , thank you all, good to know it's not just me. It seems to be a 50/50 split around extra soundproofing.  Shufman, what sort of Michelins did you buy?

I've noticed Yokohama do a tyre with a 67db rating, I know this is the outside noise but it stands to reason that if it's quieter outside, it's quieter inside. Be good if somebody has these and can give some feedback.

Cheers Carl

• Like 2

Does anyone else experience wind noise (from outside!) whilst stationary? As I mentioned before, depending on which way it's blowing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 50p said:

Does anyone else experience wind noise (from outside!) whilst stationary? As I mentioned before, depending on which way it's blowing.

Imagine a wind noise from outside when stationary, what would be while in motion? 
I do get that even I can feel a air stream and it comes from around the door handles or B pillar area, I note this when relaxing in the car with slightly inclined seat and when is windy outside. However my car is more silent in comparison to some other Toyota models that feel like side windows left half open. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Imagine a wind noise from outside when stationary, what would be while in motion?

Exactly, but no-one at the main dealer can hear anything, except the service manager that left.

Whilst my vehicle was not being fixed I had a Yaris loan car, that also had the same wind noise and didn't have a moon roof so I guess that rules out one source.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cea said:

Lots of excellent replies , thank you all, good to know it's not just me. It seems to be a 50/50 split around extra soundproofing.  Shufman, what sort of Michelins did you buy?

I've noticed Yokohama do a tyre with a 67db rating, I know this is the outside noise but it stands to reason that if it's quieter outside, it's quieter inside. Be good if somebody has these and can give some feedback.

Cheers Carl

Hi Carl,

they’re Primacy 4s. Had new ones on from before Xmas and they’re Primacy S1s but look the same. Just a better tyre, loads more grip. 

• Like 2

Hi JayCee, I used Amazon Kilmat pads which are waterproof under the wheel arch liners directly on the steel bodywork.   Taking the door cards off is very easy and have no squeaks.   

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links