Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre pressure monitor help

digiphant

Cannot perform a TPMS reset using the button under the dash, so can I assume that the  modules need replacement and if so do they need to be set using an ODB2 tool as has been suggested on you tube?. Currently the warning light flashes for 5 mins then stays on constantly. 

• Like 1

The batteries in the TPMS sensors have an expected lifetime of 5-10 years, so it is perfectly possible that they will need replacing in a 2013 car ...

• Like 2

Turns out the dealer I bought the car from omitted to fit one of the sensors and instead fitted a standard valve neck. Needless to say he didn't bother to reply to message for help. Moral of the story is check everything before you buy and no matter how eager you are to take ownership get the dealer to rectify any faults before you hand over your cash. 

• Like 1

How long have you owned it? Even with used cars, you have some consumer rights protections - if a problem emerges within a certain timeframe of purchase, off top of my head I think maybe 6months, the law assumes to to have been present at the time of purchase. You are obliged to give the seller opportunity to rectify the problem, but if they dont/can't you can take certain actions, up to and include rejecting the car for a refund. 

Arguably, if the selling dealer didn't make clear that the car was different to advertised/non factory spec (assuming the car came with tpms when built), then that could be considered misselling. 

On 1/18/2024 at 12:29 PM, Mike2222 said:

How long have you owned it? Even with used cars, you have some consumer rights protections - if a problem emerges within a certain timeframe of purchase, off top of my head I think maybe 6months, the law assumes to to have been present at the time of purchase. You are obliged to give the seller opportunity to rectify the problem, but if they dont/can't you can take certain actions, up to and include rejecting the car for a refund. 

Arguably, if the selling dealer didn't make clear that the car was different to advertised/non factory spec (assuming the car came with tpms when built), then that could be considered misselling. 

We've owned it for under a month so still deciding on a way forward. I don't think they have and means of programming the sensor which would be required for a 2013 car. 

1 hour ago, digiphant said:

We've owned it for under a month so still deciding on a way forward. I don't think they have and means of programming the sensor which would be required for a 2013 car. 

I assume that the dealer that you bought from was not a Toyota dealer? A Toyota dealer should be able to resolve the problem.

A working TPMS system is an MoT requirement - "TPMS checks were added to the MOT test checklist in January 2015 and is carried out on the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for M1 vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012. If the tyre pressure monitoring system is malfunctioning or obviously not working – this counts as a 'major' fault on the MOT checks.".

So the dealer in question has sold you a vehicle that isn't roadworthy ... 😞 That might assist in deciding the way forward - it must be resolved; the selling dealer should pay.

• Like 1

No, it was an independent dealer and thanks for the advice👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links