Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Have you tried an aftermarket digi speedometer??

BigSpoon

Hi guys,

Has anybody bought a digital speedometer for their Auris??

I have a 2013 Auris hybrid with needle speedometer. After having a loan car while my car was at the dealership I'm really missing the digital speedometer the loan car had.

Any recommendations/views would be great.

Thanks

Hi Kay ! 

Your idea is very good, if I hadn't install a top screen to my car, surely I would install a device like that you are looking for. 

A nice one is this :

Screenshot_20240117-1851192.thumb.png.1678b7fa0aa28904920e63628bebc424.pngScreenshot_20240117-1852162.thumb.png.9bc94dfa63224582948ce1a6e35daa89.png

This is what this device can do

Screenshot_20240117-1852242.thumb.png.5643a671c4d68be6a191a7ae6d0985af.png

I hope you like it !

• Like 1

Heard it's not simply plug and play for changing the dash unit. Member Flash22 will tell you it needs a lot coding/programming. 

This one connects to the car through OBD connector only; it's compatible only with gasoline cars.

It's better to ask the seller about compatibility before buying.

• Like 1

There are a few things like this.

The go-to device back in the day was a ScanGauge, which plugged into the ODB2 and showed all sorts of car data in real-time from speed and rpm to oil temps, air flow etc. but they are quite expensive.

If you don't mind using your phone (Or A phone), you can even use a bluetooth ODB2 dongle and something like the Torque app to make a custom digital dashboard.

At the hardcore end of the scale, companies like AEM sell dedicated add-on instruments for rpm, speed, boost, oil temp etc., although a lot of them are designed for their custom ECUs so may not be suitable for standalone use. Are also quite expensive!

These days there seem to be a lot more chineseium ODB2 instruments that plug into the ODB2 which are like the ScanGauge but significantly cheaper! If you're feeling brave there are even instructions floating around for ones you can make yourself based around a Raspberry Pi and some other parts! (NB: The bareboard computer, not the desert! Do not, I repeat, do not attempt to plug a desert raspberry pie into your car! :eek: )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your replies!!

So would you recommend OBD2 over gps??

Also, would using a speedometer that plugs into the ODB2 port drain the Battery when the cars not in use??

Was about to order in a raspberry pie to do the job!! Glad you warned me against it 😜

• Haha 1

I'd definitely recommend ODB2 over GPS - GPS speed meters are slow and inaccurate, but ODB2 ones get the same speed data as the car's own speedo and are much more accurate.

The Battery drain question is a good one; In theory they shouldn't run when the car is off, and I've not seen any reports of good quality ones like the scanguage draining a Battery, but it's very possible a poorly made one could, so I guess searching for reviews would be a good idea!

This is not really what you are asking, but there is an Android phone app which has a digital speedo within its display.  Perhaps you've already seen it - Hybrid Assistant

https://www.youtube.com/@hybridassistant5063/videos

It's made by Toyota hybrid enthusiasts in Europe (yes, really).  It's very, very good, but only works on Android devices.

But you do need a good quality ELM 327 dongle for your OBD2 port, and if left plugged in when parked, the dongle will draw a small amount of power, as they do.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links