Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor quality interior lighting.

tumpboy

7 hours ago, jthspace said:

I think it's only an issue if you have the panoramic roof

Without it it's even darker "back there" 😛 but no problem if you drive with no more than 1 passenger 😄

On 1/21/2024 at 9:39 PM, tumpboy said:

I agree with other members who have posted that the interior lighting in the Yaris cross is poor. I have changed the bulbs to led and there seems to be an improvement. However I put an led light on the back of the armrest to light up the rear, but it's not doing the job. I need to mount it on the access panel to the aerial and take a feed from the map-lights. They come down easily enough from the roof lining. 

I have mounted my led light to the aerial access panel. I earthed it locally and ran a positive feed wire to the front , connecting through the LH bulb fitting. Works great via switch on led. My question is how do you synch to the doors. There is a third wire (yellow) do I connect that to door switch? Hope someone can advise?

How do I wire my rear interior light to sync with the doors opening? Any help please!

2 hours ago, tumpboy said:

How do I wire my rear interior light to sync with the doors opening? Any help please!

If you wired it to the LED at the front and the led comes on when you open the door then the rear should also come on. If it doesn't then I would re-examine your wiring.

6 hours ago, tumpboy said:

I have mounted my led light to the aerial access panel. I earthed it locally and ran a positive feed wire to the front , connecting through the LH bulb fitting. Works great via switch on led. My question is how do you synch to the doors. There is a third wire (yellow) do I connect that to door switch? Hope someone can advise?

You can’t do that, you need both power and earth to the front light to piggy back into the door switches.  Your way works yes but as you say, it just switches on and off.  There are photos above ^^^

10 hours ago, anchorman said:

You can’t do that, you need both power and earth to the front light to piggy back into the door switches.  Your way works yes but as you say, it just switches on and off.  There are photos above ^^^

Thanks so much for reply. I've looked at your excellent photos and understand now 😊 what I've done. I have only connected a live to LH bulb holder, instead of earthing locally, I should earth through bulb holder. A very neat job you've done there Don.

8 minutes ago, tumpboy said:

Thanks so much for reply. I've looked at your excellent photos and understand now 😊 what I've done. I have only connected a live to LH bulb holder, instead of earthing locally, I should earth through bulb holder. A very neat job you've done there Don.

Also where did you get the LEDs they are much better than the ones I've got?

On 1/25/2024 at 11:36 PM, anchorman said:

Well, did another as promised today.  Some photos attached.  

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0194.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg

IMG_0196.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

IMG_0202.jpeg

IMG_0203.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0206.jpeg

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0208.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg

On the forth picture from the end you show the wire connectors taped to the car roof probably to avoid rattling noises.

Is sun in summer frozen there? Isn't there a chance the glue will soften and the bundle fall from the roof?

28 minutes ago, jimaros said:

On the forth picture from the end you show the wire connectors taped to the car roof probably to avoid rattling noises.

Is sun in summer frozen there? Isn't there a chance the glue will soften and the bundle fall from the roof?

It’s not tape, it’s special stuff for air conditioning ducts in factory roofs and it’s actually more of a problem to get it off than it falling off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jthspace said:

If you wired it to the LED at the front and the led comes on when you open the door then the rear should also come on. If it doesn't then I would re-examine your wiring

New led (rear) works independently, doesn't  come on with doors, as it has live feed from maplight bulb and is earthed at aerial base.   Can see now I need to wire both sides of the bulb to achieve door opening activity. Thanks for your comment though!

11 hours ago, tumpboy said:

Also where did you get the LEDs they are much better than the ones I've got?

They are actually VW/Seat lamps.  I originally found one on eBay at £15 and it matched my white headliner perfectly.  I’ll find you a photo with part numbers.  The one above is another similar VW light but for my mate’s Cross with a black headliner.  They are both sunvisor vanity lights and have the right clip to hold it back into the headliner.  

IMG_4704.jpeg

IMG_4705.jpeg

IMG_4706.jpeg

• Like 3

I have finished fitting my rear interior light,as per your instructions, perfect! Soldered a short tail to LH bulbholder using vaseline as flux. Then two connector blocks each end and job done. Cab is lit up now when I open the doors and fades off. Also LH switch operates rear light. 

If Id known about the lights you'd bought, I'd have bought them but I bought an led unit before seeing the advice on this forum!

Couldn't have done it without you, cheers!

• Like 4

Did mine yesterday. I soldered 3 wires to the pcb where the plug connects. (Soldering not showed in pictures, forgot to take some...)

The light is independent from passenger and driver lights but still gets the door signal and can be switched off with the door button.

PXL_20240204_154716372.jpgPXL_20240204_154709343.jpg

PXL_20240205_200939907.jpgPXL_20240206_153031991.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does it light up the rear seats so the seatbelt buckles are visible? Or is this antenna panel too far to the rear?

1 hour ago, hind said:

Does it light up the rear seats so the seatbelt buckles are visible? Or is this antenna panel too far to the rear?

I think it was well illuminated, but I'll check next time and let you know.

• Like 2

It will be fine there, you don’t need much light to see the seat belts.  I avoided soldering the PCB in case there was ever a warranty issue but there most likely won’t be.  

• Like 2

Asking for a friend ;  what do people do, in the back of the car, that needs so much illumination ?

• Haha 2

Buckling up at night for example. With black upholstery, dark windows and without pano roof it's really dark back there. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bob66 said:

Asking for a friend ;  what do people do, in the back of the car, that needs so much illumination ?

I’m 66 next, bad back and can’t get my feet behind the seats in broad daylight so whatever your friend is thinking, tell him, watch somebody struggle with the seatbelt buckles from the front seat!!!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I’m 66 next, bad back and can’t get my feet behind the seats in broad daylight so whatever your friend is thinking, tell him, watch somebody struggle with the seatbelt buckles from the front seat!!!

Don't think he was asking about seat belts........😂🤣👫

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, hind said:

Since I can't edit my previous post... 

Yes it pretty much covers everything in that position!

PXL_20240207_175035566.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jthspace said:

Do tell ?  🙂

Well when a mummy and a daddy get very bored when they close the M25 and are trapped for hours, they sometimes go into the back seats to play...

... a game of scrabble, maybe monopoly. Helps to get a light back there so the pieces are easier to see.

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

Do tell ?  🙂

50 years ago, maybe - now all that happens on the back seat is 2 litres of milk and some diabetic buscuits 🥴🤢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jthspace said:

I know what he was talking bout 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links