Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Analytical socket behaviour Excel 2023

Louie

I have a dashcam  plugged directly into the OBD 2 analytical socket in my Excel but after about 15 mins driving the power supply is terminated and if you stop the vehicle and turn the ignition off the power to the Dashcam is restored without turning on the ignition ??? Is  there some sort of power saving feature enabled here as this did not occur in my 2019  Corolla. I am not keen on hardwiring the Dashcam as I have been told it affects the car's warranty.

I’d heard you can blow the ecu if you leave things plugged into the diagnostic port as it’s not meant to be used all the time, only for diagnostic issues. 

perhaps it’s a safety feature?

No issues with having a dash cam hardwired, many Toyota dealers can fit one for you. 

Hi Rap I sent an email to Listers in Boston with exactly the same query yesterday so i await their reply. I did do some research into blowing up the ECU and the general consensus of  opinion that it was highly unlikely to blow your ECU if you leave things plugged into the OBD socket.  I had to be sure because I was about to use a Carista OBD2 dongle to alter some vehicle settings such as interior light timings etc.  In my 2019 Corolla GR2 sports I had the same Dashcam plugged into the OBD socket permanently for about 4 years with no issues.

On 2/4/2024 at 6:49 AM, sportse said:

I’d heard you can blow the ecu if you leave things plugged into the diagnostic port as it’s not meant to be used all the time, only for diagnostic issues. 

perhaps it’s a safety feature?

I hope not! I have one of those Chinese adapters in mine which auto locks the doors. Been there for about a year now with no issues.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the responses guys very interesting.

Listers have yet to reply to my Email query.

I did have the same Dashcam etc fitted to my Corolla 2019 GR Sport 2L and it ran for nearly 4 years without any issues.

I did ask Halfords about the power wiring loom fitted to the analytical socket and the Dashcam in my current Excel. Halfords maintain  that Blackvue the Dashcam maker supplied the original  loom.  I also still have the original hardwiring  loom so I might ask Halfords to wire this to the fuse box if I get any more shenanigans.

I would find it difficult to believe that an established dashcam maker would sell equipment that would then blow your car's ECU without some testing or research having said that Toyota did manufacture their first batch of bZ4X EV's where the wheels fell off so anything is possible. 

I did read somewhere on the Web that the using the analytical socket for diagnostics ,changing internal car parameters or a 12v power supply should not cause ECU failure. I have used Carista on my older Corolla and my current car without any issues and my dashcam problems started before I used the Carista dongle on my current Excel to change some car parameters. 

Edited by Louie
finger trouble

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links