Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No spare tyre!!!

giffardo

What a mess! Just had the car 2 days, went thru a pothole, Large puncture in sidewall, repair glue spraying everywhere all over clothes!!!  AA say they will be 2+ hours..

Ordering spate wheel while I wait!!

20240209_181023.jpg

• Sad 7

Soz to hear, take photo of the pothole if you can and damage, then claim from the council or highway. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Soz to hear, take photo of the pothole if you can and damage, then claim from the council or highway. 

And check Fixmystreet to see if it had been reported before.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it's a thing.

I've not had a spare in a car for I'd say 10/12 years.

• Like 1

Make sure you claim for all the expenses resulting from this - This is the only way to convince them that fixing the potholes will be cheaper than just ignoring them!!

• Like 2

I reported a pothole 3 weeks ago.  They agreed to fix.   Last night a lone female lost her front wheel.

The conditions are DS. Dark, a perpetual water leak, down slope after the brow of a hill, then the weather.   I won't mention the travellers camp. 

Since I reported it Highways have issued a repair instruction.   On the 29th, 1st, and 9th there have been three blowouts.  That could be interesting to see how soon they fix it now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, giffardo said:

What a mess! Just had the car 2 days, went thru a pothole, Large puncture in sidewall, repair glue spraying everywhere all over clothes!!!  AA say they will be 2+ hours..

Ordering spate wheel while I wait!!

20240209_181023.jpg

Ordering a spare wheel for the boot was the first thing I did when I got my Corolla Touring. I never, ever drive a car without one, it's one of the reasons why I went for a Corolla touring instead of a BMW 3 series touring, there is no space to fit a spare wheel in one of them.

With some of the craters lurking on the roads of Glasgow (which has just been named pothole capital of the UK) you'd be daft not to have a spare in the car. Sealant never works for big gashes which it looks like you had.

• Like 4

In certain circumstances the old 5 wheel system would be worth considering.

If you have the space, cash, and plan to keep the car for 5 or more years, a 5th wheel and 5 wheel rotation makes sense.

• Like 2

I've not had a spare in any car I've owned in the last ten years. Then again I've never had a puncture in the 30+ years I've been driving. Even if I've now jinked it (and I don't believe in superstitious nonsense) it will still be a net benefit.

• Like 2

I can attest it is no fun waiting for roadside assistance. Not punctures but a wait is a wait.  Both times it was good weather, pleasant day, and we had tge makings for a picnic. The three dogs in the car were cheesed off though, a good walk in the countryside going missing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chainbreaker said:

Ordering a spare wheel for the boot was the first thing I did when I got my Corolla Touring. I never, ever drive a car without one, it's one of the reasons why I went for a Corolla touring instead of a BMW 3 series touring, there is no space to fit a spare wheel in one of them.

With some of the craters lurking on the roads of Glasgow (which has just been named pothole capital of the UK) you'd be daft not to have a spare in the car. Sealant never works for big gashes which it looks like you had.

I did exactly the same when I purchased my Sports Tourer I got one from a breakers it takes  full size spare 

I think I have suffered a puncture on most of the cars I have owned over the last 25 years either from potholes or more commonly screws I have picked up. The worst was when I had a car with 18" low profile tyres which would pop a tyre just by seeing a pothole. So the first thing I did when I picked up my Swace was order a spare wheel kit from Toyota (apparently Suzuki don't supply spare wheels) which was I think only £190 and included the tool kit and polystyrene insert. It just gives me piece of mind as I can change a wheel in 10 minutes rather than wait hours for the RAC to turn up.  

• Like 1

Uk has one of the worst roads in Europe, having a spare tyre space saver or full size it’s always a bonus. 
How unlucky for me to run over a bottle thrown on the middle of the road at night and to shred a perfectly good tyre, thankfully it didn’t go flat so quickly and I only found out next day. Replace the whole wheel with one of my old set wheels and tyres and ordered 4 new tyres. Fitting later today. 
No spare wheel means to be off the road for some time., something that I can’t and don’t want to. 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Replace the whole wheel with one of my old set wheels and tyres and ordered 4 new tyres. Fitting later today. 
No spare wheel means to be off the road for some time.

And the difference between a distress purchase and the opportunity to research the options.

Got 4 new Goodyear vector 4 seasons fitted today. (Other tyres were worn anyway)

Also ordering a spare 17" alloy from eBay as a full size spare so I don't get caught out again!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, giffardo said:

Also ordering a spare 17" alloy from ebay as a full size spare so I don't get caught out again!

Same style as you already have?

19 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Same style as you already have?

Not found same style yet, ideally yes, but for a spare I'm not too fussed

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, giffardo said:

Not found same style yet, ideally yes, but for a spare I'm not too fussed

My thought was an identical wheel would enable 5 tyre rotation.  True you still could with an odd one

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links