Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius 2016 front parking sensors issue

sabotage123

Hi.

My wife had a mild car crash. She hit the right front bumper into another car and one of the sensors got broken. My car mechanic glued together and painted the front bumper and replaced the broken sensor, and it looks as good as new, but the issue is with the sensors. He did not put the sensors in the sockets but put glued them on the bumper itself. I went to the toyota offical mechanics and they said the reason why the sensors arent working is because they are glued on and not in the sockets themselves and that they can't fix it because they can't remove the sensors.

I find it hard to believe that not perfect fitting would cause them to not work at all. Maybe there's some issue with the wiring ?  Any suggestions ?

Probably because the adhesive he has used has masked the "lens" of the device.

I have another suggestion that you are not going to like, stop using a "My car mechanic" and get repairs like that done at a main dealer and this wouldn't have happened.

My first response would be to take it back to the guy that did it and explain the problem and insist he fixes it free of any further charges.

• Like 1

Hi Tim, The guy should not have glued the sensors to the bumper, They are designed to be fitted into the original position. As @CPN has said above it's possible that the lens may be masked.

If the bumper was repaired why could the sensors not be put back into the correct position. You need to take it back and ask him to fit these back where they should be and check they are working properly. It's possible that the wiring could be damaged but unlikely if it was a small shunt.

Hopefully the sensors are not damaged and can be put back and tested.👍

Thanks for the feedback, i definately learned my lesson.

Just wanna make this clear, can unperfect positioning per se, cause the senors not to be working at all? Because that's what they told me at Toyota dealership and i feel like they are just giving me a hard time for not bringing the car to them in the first place. It makes no sense to me, for senors not to turn at all if they are not placed 100% optimal.

Would appeciate it, if you know the answer. 

41 minutes ago, sabotage123 said:

Thanks for the feedback, i definately learned my lesson.

Just wanna make this clear, can unperfect positioning per se, cause the senors not to be working at all?

Yes

41 minutes ago, sabotage123 said:

Because that's what they told me at Toyota dealership and i feel like they are just giving me a hard time for not bringing the car to them in the first place. It makes no sense to me, for senors not to turn at all if they are not placed 100% optimal.

Would appeciate it, if you know the answer. 

I don't think they are giving you a hard time. Think about it. These sensors are standard proximity detectors much like those that are used in the home for security systems. They rely on a clear view of what is in front of them. What happens if you put a sheet of paper in front of one of those detectors? Can it still detect movement? Same for those on your car. They are positioned and mounted on the car the way that they are for a reason. To be effective at what they do.

• Like 1

People often paint those sensors and that also ruins them, even if they mask off the centre of the sensors 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links