Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sound proofing Yaris Cross

dcweather

After some of my initial disappointments I am working my way through them and my happiness level is improving 🙂. Firstly mpg has increased, most likely with warmer ambient temperatures as people suggested to me. I'm now getting my anticipated 60mpg. The other main issue was interior noise from the Excel 18" wheels and the not so smooth engine. When I opened the boot and removed the bases I was shocked to find the floor was just a thin bare metal base. The good news was it was spotlessly clean so easy to stick sund proofing on. I have used a 2mm thick aluminium butyl rubber (not the expensive dynamat but a more budget version) and I have been surprised by the improvemnent in road noise which I would now call average and acceptable. This has encouraged me to try and do something about engine noise. As it is on a PCP plan I don't really want to rip up carpets or remove door trim etc but it looks like there might be some scope under the bonnet. Has anybody else done this or on a normal Yaris and is it effective? Also is it safe to use this type in the engine compartment or should I use something more heat/flame resistant? Where should i put it for best effect? I'm really trying to just take the edge off that fruity roar you get whenever you accelerate especially if you go uphill. It's a bit like you are always one gear lower than you would want to be if you were in manual. (I think I read that somebodyhad done some sound proofing - might have been Don (Anchorman?)

• Like 1

I used DodoMat inside the boot, every door and even those little strips under the bonnet.  The doors are worth doing because you go from dust bin lid to satisfying thud.   Worth the effort in my opinion.  

IMG_4761.jpeg

IMG_4766.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4810.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

Door. Back one done v front one not.  

Have you noticed less noise from road / tyres after doors were soundproofed?

I've already noticed a drop in road noise with just the boot done. I'm a bit reluctant to attempt the doors - is it as difficult as it looks?

• Like 1

Shocking that we have to even think of doing this after paying top prices for Toyota's!!

Cheaper to just turn up the stereo volume and be totally oblivious to our immediate surroundings 😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Shocking that we have to even think of doing this after paying top prices for Toyota's!!

Cheaper to just turn up the stereo volume and be totally oblivious to our immediate surroundings 😄

Having seen people in shock, I reserve the word shocking for suicide bombers and such like.  I can level the disappointment of poor soundproofing with the never ending race to meet green legislation so I know why they leave the factory like this and pulling the car apart to do these projects doesn’t bother me.  If you want it already done, LBX is the way to go.   Dave, getting the door panels off is not really difficult, once you’ve done one, you’ll be pulling the neighbour’s off for fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

You'd need a symphony orchestra playing in the back seat to drown out the noise these things make 😉🎧

• Like 2

Can't remember if I shared this already !!  These guys are just up the road from me, everything they do is pricey, but they are good.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. I wonder how much that cost? A lot I would imagine. My boot cost just £20 to make a difference.

• Like 1

I know Connor, the guy in the video and going by his body language, it was a absolute nightmare.  I expect the soundproofing part was easy, but it's the stripping down the panels etc that takes the time !!  Probably ended up with great soundproofing, but loads of rattles and creaks after it was all put back together 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, anchorman said:

Having seen people in shock, I reserve the word shocking for suicide bombers and such like.  I can level the disappointment of poor soundproofing with the never ending race to meet green legislation so I know why they leave the factory like this and pulling the car apart to do these projects doesn’t bother me.  If you want it already done, LBX is the way to go.   Dave, getting the door panels off is not really difficult, once you’ve done one, you’ll be pulling the neighbour’s off for fun!

Thanks, just seen a You Tube video for doing it and it doesn't look as bad as I thought. Having done the boot what order would you go for next for maximum gains.  Did you manage to reduce the engine noise at all?
I also get and appreciate the green approach but is the weight any more than a full tank of petrol inestead of half or adding an extra passenger. Surely it would be cheaper to sound proof it and stick to 17" wheels which would b quieter and better for mpg? Doesn't seem logical.

• Like 1

To make the engine quieter and smoother refuel with 99 octane unleaded.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trewithy said:

To make the engine quieter and smoother refuel with 99 octane unleaded.

Funnily  enough I tried that for the first time today as others have mentioned it - but not Toyota. Only done  4o miles so far and can't say i've noticed any difference although fuel consumtion has shot up dramatically from 60 mpg to 68 mpg although it was quite mild today. Obviously after that amount of miles it is fluctuating quickly as driving conditions change but I will re-evaluate after a full tank is used.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcweather said:

Thanks, just seen a You Tube video for doing it and it doesn't look as bad as I thought. Having done the boot what order would you go for next for maximum gains.  Did you manage to reduce the engine noise at all?
I also get and appreciate the green approach but is the weight any more than a full tank of petrol inestead of half or adding an extra passenger. Surely it would be cheaper to sound proof it and stick to 17" wheels which would b quieter and better for mpg? Doesn't seem logical.

No I didn’t by those means but as Kevin pointed out, using high grade fuel helps.  To be fair, I really enjoyed the Yaris 4 and the Cross and the overall noise didn’t bother me despite spending time sound deadening.  The interior light disappointed me more because nobody can miss the fact it’s so poor.  In a moment of madness I could quite easily have a Yaris 4 as a second car (toy) but don’t let the mrs hear me 😰 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dcweather said:

Funnily  enough I tried that for the first time today as others have mentioned it - but not Toyota. Only done  4o miles so far and can't say i've noticed any difference although fuel consumtion has shot up dramatically from 60 mpg to 68 mpg although it was quite mild today. Obviously after that amount of miles it is fluctuating quickly as driving conditions change but I will re-evaluate after a full tank is used.

It allows the knock sensor to advance the timing without the risk of pinking which tends to reduce the harshness.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 152bobby said:

Probably ended up with great soundproofing, but loads of rattles and creaks after it was all put back together

That's my car featured in the John Kleis video - and no rattles after the job was complete, very noticeable reduction in road noise, already helped by having 16-inch wheels with 65-profile all-season tyres (which in turn make a big difference in ride on our local abysmal roads). I've recently been in a colleague's Corolla, and my YC is actually quieter for road noise, not much to choose for engine noise (but then again he's very heavy-footed and I'm the opposite!) and his Excel-trim car 'crashes' into potholes whereas my YC has noticeably better bump absorption

When JK were doing the sound-deadening, they also replaced the front Speakers - that made a huge improvement in sound quality, far clearer treble and much better bass

• Like 1

Hi Keith, thats a great result on your car.  I'm going to have a go at soundproofing the boot area myself, and see what the results are before attempting anything else.  Just ordered the Dodomat. Thanks for all the videos and pics guys, a very useful thread.  Cheers!

• Like 1

I've done my boot which is very easy and it has made  some difference. Not sure whether to tackle anything else as it may be diminishing returns and increasingly difficult. Plus I will be getting an all electric car most likely in next 2-3 years and I imagine what you had done Keith costs several hundred or more pounds. I'd like to go down to 16" or 17" wheels but not sure if that is doable on a PCP plan as it is strictly speaking owned by the finance company.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:26 PM, 152bobby said:

I know Connor, the guy in the video and going by his body language, it was a absolute nightmare.  I expect the soundproofing part was easy, but it's the stripping down the panels etc that takes the time !!  Probably ended up with great soundproofing, but loads of rattles and creaks after it was all put back together 😄

I’ve stripped dozens of interiors over the years for various reasons and the Toyotas are one of the best.  They go back perfectly thanks to thoughtful design.  

• Like 3

On 2/17/2024 at 1:40 PM, SinglePointSafety said:

That's my car featured in the John Kleis video - and no rattles after the job was complete, very noticeable reduction in road noise, already helped by having 16-inch wheels with 65-profile all-season tyres (which in turn make a big difference in ride on our local abysmal roads). I've recently been in a colleague's Corolla, and my YC is actually quieter for road noise, not much to choose for engine noise (but then again he's very heavy-footed and I'm the opposite!) and his Excel-trim car 'crashes' into potholes whereas my YC has noticeably better bump absorption

When JK were doing the sound-deadening, they also replaced the front speakers - that made a huge improvement in sound quality, far clearer treble and much better bass

Go on then, I'll be the cheeky one and ask what they charged for the soundproofing? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links