Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Approved Used - Crumbling/Corroded Brake Pads and Discs

hogofwar

I bought an approved used 2018 Yaris from a SE Toyota in Cambridgeshire in October, and have since moved to Scotland. I just had my first service (70k miles service?) with another Toyota Dealer, and the only issue that came up was that the Pads were crumbling and discs corroded on the front, and discs corroded on the back. Apparently none have been replaced in nearly 6 years/48k miles (Is that good or bad?)

Here's the description from their health check:

image.thumb.png.096f0420b3c65ea96205980b195e2d76.png

I would have hoped this wouldn't have been an issue, as I bought approved used, but I don't think that means much. Is it worth arguing with either of the Toyota dealers to try to get it fixed for free?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Of course it's worth hassling them for a free repair or failing that a partial reduction in cost of repair. Although I don't think you will be successful as it sounds like a wear and tear issue, but it'll cost you nothing to try.

I would ask for proof of "crumbling" That is not normal, it could just be a very poor description of course 

• Like 5

I received this video as part of it, apparently showing the reported corrosion/crumbling.

I have also taken pictures of the brakes through the rims.

brakes.mkv

DSC_3414.JPG

DSC_3415.JPG

DSC_3416.JPG

DSC_3417.JPG

DSC_3418.JPG

The discs do look tired and have quite a lip on them. You can't see the friction material of the pads properly without taking the wheels off - and ideally taking the pads out. So we cannot confirm the 'crumbling'.

It is possible that the brakes have at some point been sticking and getting very hot. This can cause some pads to disintegrate. 

The question is, how many mm is left on the pads? If it's near 3 mm on any of them - they should be replaced. How thick are the discs? i.e. how close to the minimum thickness are they?

That said, if the pads need replacing, then you do want new discs too. I would not put new pads on those old discs. 

• Like 5

Can’t remember exactly when I bought my Yaris s/h from SE Cambridge (wouldn’t go back there) but SE may offer MOT failure repairs as part of the sale?  Worth speaking to them and saying they sold a car with potentially dangerous brakes which, surely, should have been spotted as part of the pre-sale inspection. Worth copying in Toyota HO / Customer Services. 

On 2/20/2024 at 2:00 PM, hogofwar said:

I bought an approved used 2018 Yaris from a SE Toyota in Cambridgeshire in October, and have since moved to Scotland. I just had my first service (70k miles service?) with another Toyota Dealer, and the only issue that came up was that the Pads were crumbling and discs corroded on the front, and discs corroded on the back. Apparently none have been replaced in nearly 6 years/48k miles (Is that good or bad?)

Here's the description from their health check:

image.thumb.png.096f0420b3c65ea96205980b195e2d76.png

I would have hoped this wouldn't have been an issue, as I bought approved used, but I don't think that means much. Is it worth arguing with either of the Toyota dealers to try to get it fixed for free?

Thanks!

As per others, it's wear and tear.  If the dealer is smart, he'll say

" Wear and tear not covered by warranty but as a goodwill gesture, we'll fit them FOC, when do you want to book the car in? Scotland you say? Sorry but our free pickup / drop off doesn't extend that far" 🤣

But seriously, I don't know how much Toyota charge for replacement pads and discs but I had to do this recently on my Skoda and they were asking £££'s.   The cheapest option for me was to buy the parts from EuroCarParts who also offer a fitting service.  You buy the parts online as normal then they will give you a list of garages to choose from who'll display a fitting price. The parts are then sent directly to that garage and hey presto.  I really did find that much cheaper than the manufacturer or having the work carried out at a fast-fit centre.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2024 at 2:00 PM, hogofwar said:

discs corroded on the front, and discs corroded on the back.

My discs are corroded every time i park the car and it rains, ask them if they are dangerous i bet they dont say yes or they would have said something like "Discs below wear limit" i think they are fishing for work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

My discs are corroded every time i park the car and it rains, ask them if they are dangerous i bet they dont say yes or they would have said something like "Discs below wear limit" i think they are fishing for work.

Are you referring to surface rust from a rain or car wash that will disappear after a few brakes? That's different!

If he is worried or thinks that Toyota is trying to rip him off, I would advise going to a second garage/mechanic and getting another opinion. Usually, that's what you do if you are in doubt. 

• Like 1

What I love about these workshop videos is the clarity and how you can clearly see the problems with no shaky camera or keeping it long enough to get a good look . 😎 

If you are unsure as to the validity of what the garage is saying then you could take the wheels off and inspect the brakes and discs yourself. This is of course is if you have the time and are physically able to do so.

Secondly you could take it to another garage for a second opinion bearing in mind that you will probably have to pay for this.

You can contact the purchase dealer and ask if they are willing to contribute towards the cost of new discs and brakes but they will probably say unfortunately it is wear and tear and months has past so it is unlikely they will, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

As you have recently purchased the car the discs and brakes may well require replacing so all new will give you peace of mind but a somewhat out of pocket.👍

2 hours ago, inteli7 said:

Are you referring to surface rust from a rain or car wash that will disappear after a few brakes? That's different!

All brake discs rust apart from the surface where the pad contacts them so they can look a mess but it doesn't mean they are dangerous they can have a groove like the ones below (where his thumb is) but it can still be within safe tolerance, i dont think the ones in the pictures above look too bad but having them measured is the only way to know for sure.  

When to change brake discs - how to measure brake disc thickness - YouTube

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As an update to this, I sent an email to SE Cambridge and they offered to pay for the repairs to be done at my local dealership.

I went to pick up the car after the repairs were done, and found out that there was a breakdown of communication between the dealerships and the repairs hadn't been paid for. As I needed the car I paid for it.

After another email, SE Cambridge reimbursed me for the repair cost.

• Like 12

A few years ago I used Hal fords to replace my brake discs and pads and it came with a 'brakes for life' offer, they would replace the same parts again free if ever needed.  The scheme also can be transferred on to another car if you sell, though they have to inspect the replacement car within a couple of weeks of you buying it.  I transferred mine to my YC when I bought it, but as it was nearly new no work was needed.  I've not yet had to ask them to replace my disks and pads but we'll see when the time comes.

• Like 2

I remember the AA would do a pre sale survey.   It was certainly advised for a private/dodgy sale.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just had my front driver side suspension spring snap on the same car, now to see if that's covered under warranty or something.

• Sad 2

Suspension parts usually aren’t covered by warranty unless premature wear or manufacturer defects. These might be difficult to proof but your first call is the place you had bought the car from if under 6 months old since purchase date and try eventually to get it fixed for free. However if spring was broken due to neglect like overloaded, hitting kerb or something then things will not go in your favour. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

I'm not aware of any large hits, the piece of suspension I have does seem rusty near the point it snapped at though.

• Sad 1

The thing about springs is if it's covered, should be under the relax warranty is they will replace one, the broken one, but they always tell you to replace both springs unless it's a warranty claim then it's only the damaged spring.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As an update, I'm not sure what happened but my local Toyota dealer accepted the car suspension as a warranty repair without seeing it. The only downside was how long it took for them to get the parts in.

40 minutes ago, hogofwar said:

As an update, I'm not sure what happened but my local Toyota dealer accepted the car suspension as a warranty repair without seeing it. The only downside was how long it took for them to get the parts in.

They might be struggling to get parts.  

I wouldn't trust Halfords to even wash my car.  I knew a chap who worked there some years back. They were paid the minimum wage, and made it up by telling customers that work needed to be done.  They got a bonus for every shock replaced, brake pads changed etc..  They are not mechanics, they are fitters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Springs are an issue to get hold of currently

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

They are not mechanics, they are fitters. 

They're shop assistants.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links