Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New used car been at Factory HQ for 6 months!

Half a job frosty

I have picked up my new used (2021) Yaris today from a main Toyota dealership. In the paperwork provided they gave me the service book, the car has a full service history and one previous owner but the last service was done in  Aug 2023 at the main Toyota factory in Derbyshire and since the last service the car has only done 15 miles! Anyone have any knowledge of why the car would have been sitting at the main manufacturer factory for so long? They is no record of the car being recalled or had any mechanical issues in the past. The dealership couldn’t provide any explanation. 

• Like 1

Toyota have a distribution centre at Burnaston.

However, the fact the last service was done there in August 23 doesn't mean the car has been there since. The low mileage since the service probably signifies the car has been on dealer forecourt(s) for weeks, possibly months - either the dealer you bought the car from, or, if part of a group, at another branch.

• Like 1

Thanks for reply. Found the history intriguing more than concerned although knowing I still have a warranty on the car did help reduce concern. 

Not looking to cause any unnecessary alarm, since the car has been sitting around for that length, the 12v Battery may have an issue in the near future if it was not properly charged.

@Chas G is the man to talk in the event of a near future issue, a forum expert on 12v Battery recovery, has a fortress of charging gears in his garage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Battery has just gone through a health check and no issues raised.
The test will be when we go on holiday shortly and leave it for 2 weeks at the airport. A charger is on order!! 

• Like 1

A jump start pack when leaving it away from home. Some people here had some problems with their Battery and usually health check came back ok after it got recharged, then failed after a few days without use again. 

Maybe the changed Battery testing procedure will yield different results now, for the low total capacity cases. 

I traded my previous car in and it's still sitting on a different dealer's forecourt in a different town, 5 months later.

• Like 1

@Mojo1010 now that I have accepted that I bought a Yaris Cross self charging plug in hybrid all my Battery worries have gone. I just drive drive it then plug in when I get home.

Ps I am thinking of keeping it but don't tell anyone else 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Half a job frosty said:

The battery has just gone through a health check and no issues raised.

I believe the Health Check relates to the HV Battery.  There have been instances where a garage has checked the 12v Battery,  pronounced it good, only to replace it when it fails shortly after.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gren said:

I traded my previous car in and it's still sitting on a different dealer's forecourt in a different town, 5 months later.

Not surprised. When picking up the new car, saw the high prices on forecourt. Also saw they jumped start a chr, they are not able to charge the cars so some will have Battery issues developing. 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2024 at 9:13 PM, Half a job frosty said:

I have picked up my new used (2021) Yaris today from a main Toyota dealership.

car has a full service history and one previous owner

last service was done in  Aug 2023 at the main Toyota factory in Derbyshire

since the last service the car has only done 15 miles!

1: who was the first owner? 2: when was it first registered?

I'd bet money on the car having been registered to Toyota management and used as a fleet vehicle. It could then have been bought by a dealer and marked up at some ridiculous price on the chance a mug might have come along to buy it. If we go back a year, there were some horrendous prices being asked for used cars where there were long delivery times for new vehicles. Used cars were being advertised for near the price of a new cars. All boils down to how much the dealer paid for the car which will determine the selling price.

• Like 2

Toyota has cars in central stock - now the used market is cooling off dealers are getting stuck with cars they can't shift and they paid too much for, auction prices have dropped a lot too

we seem to get a lot of WU, WX reg cars (Bristol) in the southeast

Google the first 2 letters of the reg to find out where it was first registered then you can pin down the dealer if it's not on the number plates

• Like 3

The car was registered in Scotland first service (4k on clock) was carried out at same garage the car was purchased from then 2nd service carried out at Toyota Burnaston (12k on clock) Aug 2023. Overall we are happy with the price we paid we did a lot of research and paid less then others advertised (same age similar mileage) let’s see how the Battery holds out now it’s standing while on holiday!! 

Gren it might be your car we have bought!

On 2/24/2024 at 11:00 AM, Gren said:

It might be your car we have bought!!

21 hours ago, Half a job frosty said:

Gren it might be your car we have bought!

It might be your car we have bought!!

No, you're ok!  It wasn't a Toyota, wasn't registered in Scotland, and is still on their forecourt!

On 2/24/2024 at 10:31 AM, Chas G said:

@Mojo1010 now that I have accepted that I bought a Yaris Cross self charging plug in hybrid all my battery worries have gone. I just drive drive it then plug in when I get home.

Ps I am thinking of keeping it but don't tell anyone else 😀

Am I missing something?

As far as I am aware there was/is not a PHEV Yaris Cross, has that changed now? Current price list (Feb 2024) does not show a PHEV.

• Haha 1

It's a joke 😉 Chas has a phobia that his 12V Battery would discharge and he won't be able to drive so he is plugging it to charger every time he arrives at home  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Could the OP's car have been rejected by the previous owner and then sat at the factory while they decided what to do with it?

On 2/24/2024 at 10:00 AM, Gren said:

I traded in a car on 01 March 2017 which was a bit below average miles and in excellent condition with no issues and still had 18 months of the manufacturers warranty remaining. Went on their forecourt at stupid money and after 2 weeks reappeared at a local brand independent but still at stupid money. It eventually sold in December probably with no warranty since I doubt a service was done whilst it sat there.

There was no reason for this car not to sell quickly other than the 2 dealers greed. After about 4 months we actually whished we had chopped the wifes car and kept that one.

3 minutes ago, hind said:

It's a joke 😉 Chas has a phobia that his 12V battery would discharge and he won't be able to drive so he is plugging it to charger every time he arrives at home  😉 

So how does that work when you are away from home with no access to power?

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, skidlid said:

So how does that work when you are away from home with no access to power?

I start off with a fully charged Battery and then I would rely on conserving voltage by having the smart entry turned off, Dashcam disconnected, automatic headlight sensor turned down to minimum, thermals and hot water bottle for an hour in ready mode.

If the worst happens the charged Noco Battery pack is stored in the glove box and the jump leads are under the front seat.

My membership of the AA Roadside recovery and RAC (53 years) would be my last option. 

Holidays abroad, I would book the flights from Heathrow which is a taxi ride away or ask @Mojo1010 to give me a lift.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No problem Chas, as long as we can use your house for hosting Toyota forum members parties to discuss your plug in garage, charge our cars, use your printer to print out loads of 12v graphs etc. 

• Haha 2

doing a bit of digging it seems the norm, i came across a 22-plate dynamic that has been "in trade" since June 2023 priced at £24K and 23K, it is now at a non-franchised dealer for £21.7k a comparable car at a main stealer is £19K

new cars are being quoted at 7-12 weeks, with a few pre-reg cars turning up too

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:13 PM, Half a job frosty said:

I have picked up my new used (2021) Yaris today from a main Toyota dealership. In the paperwork provided they gave me the service book, the car has a full service history and one previous owner but the last service was done in  Aug 2023 at the main Toyota factory in Derbyshire and since the last service the car has only done 15 miles! Anyone have any knowledge of why the car would have been sitting at the main manufacturer factory for so long? They is no record of the car being recalled or had any mechanical issues in the past. The dealership couldn’t provide any explanation. 

Toyota have a used car reconditioning prep centre at Burnaston. Toyota fleet/management/employee cars get refurbished there and sold to the dealer network. These cars would often end up being sold at auction and not making market value, so now they prep them all in house and sell them to the dealer network.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links