Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are all IQ keyless entry and possibly ignition?

James Death

Hi folks,

as title any info greatly appreciated please.

we had the anthracite coloured one a few years back sold as didn’t need second car but looking to get one again.

pours had the keyless ignition and entry and wasn’t too far from home when the remote Battery failed and could not start car but able to set the alarm off mind.

im sure plenty have been there.

Do I remember correctly that not all cars had the keyless ignition?

But did they all have keyless entry?

I want to be armed with the knowledge of cars had and need as hear it’s very expensive for the fobs and programming etc and extortionate if you need both fobs.

if you don’t have both fobs then surely your stuffed unable to start the car or if it’s a conventional key can you start it without the fobs but keyless entry would not work.

I know my questions don’t sound too logical but then I’m confused and trying to get some clarification please?

thank you all James

• Like 1

I bought my iQ last year and it's got keyless entry + push button start, however I did look at a couple of iQs that had ignition keys instead, so they ARE available. You could still open the door with a 'plipper' type button on the key, but there's also a keyhole in the driver's door handle and all fobs have a mechanical key, just in case (this is true of all models, even the ones with push button start).

You're right about new fobs being expensive. Last September Toyota quoted me over £300 for one - that's why you should always get a car with 2 fobs! Hope this helps.

Edit - I think you can start the car with the fob even if its battery's died, by holding the fob near to some part of the dashboard or other. Must admit I don't know the detail and haven't had to use it (yet). Maybe I should find out, just in case.

Edit 2 - I've just looked in my owner's manual. If your fob battery's dead, just touch the 'Toyota Emblem side' of the fob against the 'start/stop' button on the dashboard, depress the clutch and press the 'start/stop/ button within 10 seconds of the buzzer sounding.

It's very tempting to remove my fob Battery and give it a try, but it's raining, so I won't!

• Like 1

base models get a keyed ignition some cars get a keyed ignition with a start button (non smart key), iirc keyless is standard on the IQ 3

Flat fob Battery on a keyless car is not an issue, foot on the clutch (brake on an auto) place the fob near the button, press the button

ps. the keyless fobs have a key in the fob so you can get into the car in the event of a flat Battery

• Like 1

Thanks folks really appreciated, I think our anthracite ...i keep saying that when I should be saying amethyst...one must have been the iq3 as had keyless entry and start button.

So if the ignition uses a key you would not have the fobs as unlikely to have keyless entry?

So would function like most cars with a keyed ignition and just remote unlock button?

Are this type of more standard key any cheaper than the keyless entry and starting fobs?

Thank you one and all for any help you can give.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, James Death said:

Thanks folks really appreciated, I think our anthracite ...i keep saying that when I should be saying amethyst...one must have been the iq3 as had keyless entry and start button.

So if the ignition uses a key you would not have the fobs as unlikely to have keyless entry?

So would function like most cars with a keyed ignition and just remote unlock button?

Are this type of more standard key any cheaper than the keyless entry and starting fobs?

Thank you one and all for any help you can give.

My iQ2 has the start button - and it's a 59 plate. As @flash22 said, it was just the base models that didn't have it.

THe best thing to do is phone your local main dealer parts dept (as I did) and ask them what the different prices are for the 2 types of key. Both types would need programming - it would be interesting to know what they charge for the more basic plipper key.

Thanks Glimp coming down your way Saturday left a message in the wheel thread sale you have.

Bit of head scratching over the car going to look at as only has one key and it’s it’s a key not a fob.

mentioned air con but don’t think it is also mentioned keyless entry but has a key so wonder if they say keyless entry but actually it’s just remote lock unlock they are referring too.

cat N.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, James Death said:

Thanks Glimp coming down your way Saturday left a message in the wheel thread sale you have.

Bit of head scratching over the car going to look at as only has one key and it’s it’s a key not a fob.

mentioned air con but don’t think it is also mentioned keyless entry but has a key so wonder if they say keyless entry but actually it’s just remote lock unlock they are referring too.

cat N.

Okay - thanks - I didn't realise. I'll go and have a look at the wheel sale thread.

Check that the aircon's working on the cold setting- my son-in-law had an iQ and his aircon packed up.

If you want to pm me a link to the advert for the car you're going to look at I'll see if I can help you shed any light on the key issue?

Just got off phone to a local toyota dealer and the bladed blipper key is £135.37 and then £45 for encoding. so just over £180 total.

He said at least its not the keyless i mentioned yeah there about £350 for the IQ. He then  said i think the Hilux is £600 per key ... strewth...i said  they put too many electronics on vehicles these days.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, James Death said:

Just got off phone to a local toyota dealer and the bladed blipper key is £135.37 and then £45 for encoding. so just over £180 total.

He said at least its not the keyless i mentioned yeah there about £350 for the IQ. He then  said i think the Hilux is £600 per key ... strewth...i said  they put too many electronics on vehicles these days.

Even £180 is a lot for a key, isn't it? But at least it's not £350!

I have seen online independent locksmiths advertising coding of car keys, but I don't know how reliable they are, or how much they charge. Does anyone have experience of them? Might it be worth seeing if there's a locksmith local to you who can code car plipper keys?

Could you buy the basic, uncoded key online, get it cut and use it as a spare? Just a thought. Then at least you've got 2 keys.

As you can probably tell, I'm not an expert on the subject!

Will certainly look into cheaper options.

• Like 1

Can be dome much cheaper by independent locksmiths, I had one coming at home, half the price Toyota charged for our Auris.

That said, keycard for the Tesla was 15 euro….

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links