Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why is my exhaust blowing like this?

BobbyTheCarGuy

Hi

I just wanted to know why my exhaust is blowing like this. Is it normal? And why is it loud! 

Thanks 

Think you need to provide more than a 3 second clip, can't hear it properly anyway 

Can't see or hear the video. How long have you had the car? What work has been done recently? Is the exhaust original?

To determine if the exhaust is actually blowing, put a rag over the end of the tailpipe and see if pressure builds up in the exhaust system when you remove the rag after 10 seconds. If you can hold a rag over the end of the exhaust without any back pressure buildup, then there is a hole in the system somewhere - and the location of the hole will usually cause a loud hissing noise when the rag is over the end of the tailpipe, so ideally you need 2 people to do the check - one to close off the tailpipe and the other to listen under the car moving from front to rear, listening for the hissing noise.

If the exhaust is blowing, then the best thing to do is to take it to a garage that does exhaust work and have them check it over. It may just be a leaking gasket, or there could be a part of the pipework that has cracked or corroded through. If the car is a 2012, then it is 12 - 13 years old now, and it is quite possible that the original exhaust could need replacing. Depending on where the damage is, it may be possible to have just the damaged section replaced without the considerable expense of a full system replacement.

• Like 1

It will likely be the manicat blocked. I've replied in his other thread:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links