Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Silly question about the cabin filter orientation

inteli7

Hi guys,

In my eye, the genuine Toyota air cabin filter doesn't do anything as it is so thin.  I plan to changed it to a more enhance filter with carbon activation and anti microbial properties. Looking at the genuine cabin filter, the arrow says UP.

image.thumb.png.d7208794ce149b2439c690eebc701aeb.png

The filter that I got says AIR FLOW and points down. In my mind, this tells me I should put it with the arrows pointing downwards. Am I wrong for thinking like that?

image.thumb.png.41c1e011ec2fe89526a1633dbc2d4999.png

The new filter came in a plastic sealed back and I took it out as I plant to put it the car in the next few hours. 

Cheers

Hi Dave,

It's true that some aftermarket air cabin filters offer additional features like carbon activation and anti-microbial properties, which can be beneficial depending on your needs and driving environment. However, it's important to consider a few things before replacing your genuine Toyota filter:

1. Functionality of the OEM Filter: While the genuine Toyota filter might appear thin, it's specifically designed and tested for your car model to provide adequate filtration for dust, pollen, and other airborne particles. It's important to remember that "thinner" doesn't necessarily mean "less effective."

2. Potential Drawbacks of Aftermarket Filters:

Compatibility: While the filter might have the advertised features, it's crucial to ensure it's the correct size and shape for your specific Toyota model. An incompatible filter might not fit properly, causing air leaks and reducing filtration efficiency.

Performance: Not all aftermarket filters are created equal. Some might have lower filtering capabilities for essential air particles compared to the OEM filter.

Warranty: Using a non-genuine filter might void your Toyota warranty on specific components related to the air filtration system if any issues arise.

3. The Up Arrow: The arrow on your genuine filter indicates airflow direction. It's crucial to ensure any replacement filter you choose has the same airflow direction marked. Improper airflow can negatively impact your car's ventilation system. Hope this helps😄

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, inteli7 said:

Looking at the genuine cabin filter, the arrow says UP.

The filter that I got says AIR FLOW and points down. In my mind, this tells me I should put it with the arrows pointing downwards. Am I wrong for thinking like that?

You're correct, unlike the main dealer that first serviced mine and managed to fit it upside down. I was surprised it made so much difference to the A/C efficiency.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, inteli7 said:

Am I wrong for thinking like that?

Maybe. There's a lot of reuse of parts which aren't visible to the end user, and they may be a design used across several models and even car makers. So compatible parts can have different markings. If you're lucky the casing or holder in the car will have markings for airflow direction, but otherwise it's a case of trying to work out the direction yourself, hoping someone here can say which way it is, or just taking a 50/50 chance.

Who said life will be easy?

Just been out to have a look at mine.  I thought access was gained by squeezing the sides of the glovebox inwards and lowering it but I couldn't do that.   From memory of replacing the cabin filter in my previous cars I think the arrow should point downwards.  The air is drawn in from outside passing downwards through the filter to the heater.

The arrow on a new car cabin filter typically indicates the airflow direction, and it should be installed with the arrow pointing down. This means the air will flow from the top of the filter, through the pleats, and out the bottom.😄

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

I thought access was gained by squeezing the sides of the glovebox inwards and lowering it 

Last week I replaced mine with an activated carbon filter from mann which I bought through Amazon that had them on sale. Had the same in my Avensis and never smelled a 2 stroke mopped or a diesel truck 🚛🚒.

The process is, you pinch the lower end of the slow opening piston to free it. Then you press on one side of the glovebox first (personally I suggest a bit lowerof the pin as it seems to budge there) and after you've freed that side then press from the other side.

I don't know about airflow and if the arrows ON THE ORIGINAL filter are correct but I can assure you that on my original filter there where dead leaves on the upper part... 

A bit self explanatory for the air flow I presume...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tsikis007 said:

What kind independent is toyotaownersclub.com when promote Toyota OEM parts??????????

Typical definition of Independent = free from outside control; not subject to another's authority.

If people here weren't allowed to recommend OEM parts the forum (members) wouldn't be independent any more.

• Like 2

What's wrong with that anyway? They make the best parts! The only downside is they can be expensive, but for most service items or frequently replaced parts the costs are very reasonable compared to other marques and even decent third-party ones!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tsikis007 said:

I am not a British citizen nor a citizen of any British colony to know the language exceptionally well.

Fair enough.

51 minutes ago, tsikis007 said:

I stopped using genuine parts after the car's two year warranty expired.

From this and your previous post It sounds like you have some reason to not like and/or trust Toyota parts. That's fine, your car, you are free to do as you like, but I for one would be interested in your reasons.

7 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Fair enough.

From this and your previous post It sounds like you have some reason to not like and/or trust Toyota parts. That's fine, your car, you are free to do as you like, but I for one would be interested in your reasons.

Toyota doesn't make everything. Some are ordered from Giants in their field and said giants sometimes sell the exact product without the Toyota sticker for cheaper price.

That isn't always the case, for instance Toyota replacement Battery for my Avensis was yuasa on the same exact price as erd party store. I chose Toyota cause store had 1 Year warranty and Toyota gave me 2 years. 

Kayaba shocks are a prime example. Magneti Marelli and many others... 

I hope you get the meaning. 

16 hours ago, inteli7 said:

Looking at the genuine cabin filter, the arrow says UP.

You are correct. Some filters show the orientation of the filter (UP ⬆️), others show the direction of air flow (⬇️). Flow in most Toyotas are from top to bottom. 

In terms of filtration, you don't get something for nothing. The finer you filter the air the more you restrict air flow. Filters are designed to provide a balance between filtration and flow. 

9 hours ago, tsikis007 said:

What kind independent is toyotaownersclub.com when promote Toyota OEM parts??????????

It's just peace of mind. Most OEM parts are not actually made by Toyota. So, of course third-party products can be of equal or even better quality. Buying genuine OEM just removes the guesswork and it makes sense to recommend this route to punters on an online forum. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jimaros said:

I hope you get the meaning. 

Yes, completely. It's a discussion that's almost as old as cars. As APS says, car makers don't make everything, in fact relatively little, as it's mostly outside contractors/suppliers providing parts to the factory. But Toyota specify those things and their QC should be checking them.

So yes, a third party may well be able to supply parts of equivalent quality, but that doesn't mean they will. They can, and probably do, make parts for other supply chains to different standards. Factories can change 'recipes' almost on the fly these days, so something made in the same plant does not definitely mean it's the same thing.

12 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

it's mostly outside contractors/suppliers providing parts 

I like the fact that you do know how things work, not so much that you seem to ignore that the maker of the said product labeled "TOYOTA" is having more of a QC for the product UNDER ITS OWN NAME... Not talking about "airfresh" knock off brand ordering from the same factory lower standards cheapos to flood the market to grab whatever they can from anyone not willing to pay the brand premium.

When changing cabin filters we need to note something that air flow is always from top to bottom. Then read the filter information and if arrow point downward will say air flow which means this is the right way to install and when the arrow points upward will be accompanied by this way up ⬆️ icon. , in this case we install it with arrow pointing upward. 
For the filters I can recommend Blueprint, high quality at competitive price. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your help. You guys are awesome!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links